Getting through Essentials

12345679»

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If you use the standard fractal line (from the right toolbar), it uses the current properties, which are all changeable by clicking in the line style, color, width and fill style indicators at the top. (Change before you draw the line)
  • Finished the "lair," now I'm back to the maze. I haven't figured out how to do this thing in under six months, if I can get all the symbols placed in that time! I thought I might be able to use the copy function, but it only copies a symbol at a time and if I copy several symbols, placement is a problem. How do you guys do mazes without getting lost in minute detail?
  • Well, I figured I could group several symbols and copy them and I think that would work well, but my program is buggy again.When I try to rotate my group, the program goes white, starts flashing as it's redrawing and my window bar across the top has a (Not Responding) notice. I think it may be time for Team Viewer again.
  • I just lost everything except two groups and my lair - background, text, maze, all gone. I'm just not cut out for this kind of work.
  • Posted By: bloodymageWell, I figured I could group several symbols and copy them and I think that would work well, but my program is buggy again.When I try to rotate my group, the program goes white, starts flashing as it's redrawing and my window bar across the top has a (Not Responding) notice. I think it may be time for Team Viewer again.
    This sounds to me that your PC is not good enought for the task. I have this kind of problem when I try to draw maps with A LOT of fractalization. And dont forget to save different versions of your map, so if you got a crash or a corrupted file you dont lose all the work.
  • edited April 2012
    This PC is a top-o-the line monster. It has 6 GB of memory and an AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.8 Ghz processor. It ain't the computer, it's me. I break things on it getting into stuff I know little about. But, my program is still buggy and I can't work with it that way.
  • 7 days later
  • edited April 2012
    I've been working on some more product and I've tried to place torch sconces. It's a two-step placement, but it's not consistent. I'd place a couple, then four would place with one click. Id have to place those away from the wall, because everytime I tried to place on the wall, the symbol would skew crazily. I'm laboriously moving all the misplaced sconces now.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Whether it is a one-step or two-step process depends on where you place your first point. If it is over a wall, the symbol will rotate to align to the wall, and the second step determines the distance from the wall. However, if the first click is not over a wall, there is only one step, as you won't need to first place it then move it. That is only useful when you place it on a wall, to avoid the symbol being stuck inside the wall.

Note that the definition for wall here is actually the hair-thin center line of the wall, no matter the actual wall thickness. This is also why you need the second offset step, otherwise the symbol will be placed exactly at the centerline, which is in the middle of the wall, while you really wish your symbols to appear at the actual edge of the wall instead.

You really should consider making new topics for your questions though. This one covers way to many different topics. As a general rule, when you have a new question that is not directly a follow-up to the existing questions/conversation in a thread, it is better to just start a new one.