Getting through Essentials

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    From you comments I thought you printer was at fault - sorry if I misunderstood. But I am really unclear what is happening with your print. Can you post a screenshot of the print preview?
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    We could generate a PDF for you and send it back if you like.
  • It's wasn't the pdf that was giving me trouble, though I can't seem to get less than 60 pages of tiling now. This computer confuses the bejeebers out of me and I evidently don't have the four panel pdf anymore, but it was the printing that I can't get right. Like I said, there was no overlap on the NS axis. Anyway, here's the preview from the FCW drawing.
  • I still need this map. I'm leaving the 19th.
    I can't see anything wrong on the preview.

Send the map to me offlist (ralf@profantay.com) and I'll see whether I can get it printed to pdf for you.
    Printing problem found: "Print visible sheets as separate pages" needs to be changed to "Print visible sheets as one page" in the print dialog.
  • I printed out from the FCW w/ a 3% overlap. The NS axis still has no overlap. I printed out your pdfs (thank you) and still no NS overlap.
    The pdf clearly has a NS overlap. You can see it on the building compound (1st page, top row, 7th square). Parts of it show on both page 1 and page 3.

Set your printer to fit the page to your paper, so that you actually get the whole page printed.
  • I wanted four panels for clarity, but one page will do if I must.
  • I can't win for losing. The damned thing is going white again!
  • Well, I got the map printed out. You just can't get everything you want, I guess. Now, I figured I'd play around w/ DD3 for this silly contest, but I can't even input my own settings for the dungeon! I get to the last step and it just won't finish, the dialog just flashes like I'm forgetting something (nothing new there).
  • Got a custom set-up created finally, not sure what I did.

I'm in DD3 now and the DD3 Toolbar is mostly unresponsive. I get an "No matching Draw Tool" dialog when I click on caverns, for instance.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Did you start a new map based on a dungeon style (For example "DD3 Dungeon")? The drawing tools react to the current map style, so unless it is a proper dungeon style, there won't be any cavern tools.

You can always check what style your current map is set up with by going to File -> Drawing Properties. The topmost drop-down list in the resulting dialog is the current map style (Or more precisely, the style of drawing tools used for the current map). There are many dungeon styles (depending on if you own the annuals, SS2, etc...), but if you are using vanilla DD3, it should read "Dungeon DD3 Color"
    Note that if this doesn't show the desired value, it is usually best to start a new map. If you simply change the value, the drawing tools will become available, but you will probably still miss the correct fill styles needed by these tools.
  • edited March 2012
    I used CC3 Dungeon so I don't think that's the problem. The style says it's "Dungeon CC3." I have CC3, CD3, DD3, FT3, SMC and TTC, way too much for my shrunken brain to keep track of.

Like I said, though, I'm a pit bull when it comes to this stuff. I keep at it until it works!
  • Once again, I'm stuck. The dungeon for this contest requires a name and a minotaur figures in mine which to my mind, needs a natural cavern style dungeon, but the program won't let me construct that.
    Posted By: bloodymageI wanted four panels for clarity, but one page will do if I must.
    I meant you should set "scale page to paper" when printing the pdf. As the pdf HAS a NS overlap, that would make sure that you would actually be printing it.

I strongly suggest you use the "DD3 Dungeon" style instead, "Dungeon CC3" is just a small subset of the DD3 version that comes with CC3. In the DD3 style, you have tools for caverns, as well as a minotaur figure among the Skirmish symbols.
  • The minotaur is just the name, but a symbol would be handy as well. So now, I'm trying to set up a hedge maze outside the lair and I'm having trouble aligning the hedge symbols. I've tried various settings for attach, snap to grid and utilizing smart symbols, but I end up doing it bye eye with a flickering symbol and it just won't align. I'm sure there's a way to do this.
  • Wow, this is some tedious damned work! I kind o' figured out a way to do it, but...
  • 14 days later
  • Well, I just got back from GaryCon, so I guess I can put some time into this contest thing. I started my maze, got a path to the actual labyrinth, then started filling it in, but I used one hedge as the path with the borders for the symbol forming the walls to the maze. It then occurred to me that to do it properly, the hedge symbols should form the walls with a path between. Just how do I go about setting up these walls so they are placed exactly opposite and equidistant throughout? Do I really need to place each wall individually, making sure it's placed correctly in relation to its counterpart and the ends correspond throughout?
  • OK, going through and correcting mistakes on my maps for GaryCon in preparation for NTRPGCon. The symbols for some of my beds and tables didn't render for some reason (got an "X") and my mimic didn't print out. Not sure what I used for it, but I just imported a png for a chessboard, but I can't find it. I also noticed I needed some additional information regarding orientation for the several floors. Goin' through and seeing if I can fix that.
  • Is it my imagination, or is it harder to fix a map than making one (not as time-intensive, but lots o' fiddling)?
  • Depends on how much detail you want to correct. It can be intensive.

My earliest maps, from over 7 years ago, I decided it was easier to remake them than edit them. Mostly. Some have only a very small amount of detail, those i edited.
  • How do I line up the hedge walls?

Btw, I went back and changed the x-ed out monster image to text. Some of my doors didn't render and I just put them back in with white space to either side. Maybe I'll go back and attempt to fix that later. Somehow, I need to figure out how to fix my life.
    The best way to line up stuff is usually to use a snap grid. This make it easy to place stuff in exact distances from each other and in straight lines.
  • Man, I sure can get into the most complicated stuff! I can't believe the real estate I have to cover with this maze and it's not even half the map (though the hardest)!
  • Still trying to figure this stuff out. I have an aerial view of my maze (not finished) leading into the lair which is a small cavern complex, but all I can find are straight walls. I can't find any caves, though I find cave symbols, and I can't find any cavern passages. Where, pray tell, might these be hiding?
    Caves need to be drawn using the drawing tools, there are no symbols for cave walls. Assuming you are using a DD3 template for your current map, click the All Dungeon Drawing Tools button image, and you should see several drawing tools for drawing caves.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't even know why I try. I've lost the damned map! It's in the catalog, but all I get is a white screen, even after rebooting. I'm slow and clunky and it's hard for me to deal with slow and clunky programs!

OK, I got the map back. I keep figuring out better ways of doing things, so I go back a try the "new" thing. I was drawing corridors in the cavern with the drawing tool, then I remembered the fractal line tool. Kewl beans! However when I try to use it, my right-click doesn't provide any options so I get a thin grey line. I can change the properties on it (the only one applicable in this case is thickness), but if I erase, it erases the change, then I have to erase again to eliminate the thin grey line. How do I set the fractal line to my specifications?