Getting through Essentials

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You're welcome.

That setting can sometimes change if a macro crashes before it is done executing (Macros need, for obvious reasons, to use other means of selecting entities than using a pick cursor). They reset the selection method when they are done, but if they crash before they complete, that won't happen.
  • Damn, this sure is tedious work.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I've added the SymEncrypt utility, which allows you to decrypt the CCX format catalogs, to the registration page. If you have CC3 registered it will show up on the Downloads tab.
  • As you get used to the software, you'll be able to turn out a map in shorter and shorter time.

i turned out few maps at first. Now I have a little over 1800 maps on my web site.
  • Where do I open the SymEncrypt Utility? It maintains that CC2 isn't present and I have the CC2 Pro disk in the bay. Also, I'm trying to download the DD2 and CD2 CC3 compatibility patches and it says I need to download the MS .NET framework. I've done that already, so what's the deal?
    edited October 2011
    Posted By: bloodymageit says I need to download the MS .NET framework. I've done that already, so what's the deal?
    Unfortunately, Microsoft designed the .net Framework in such a way that it is not backwards compatible, meaning you need to have exactly the right version of it to work. The version used by these installers is .net 1.1 SP1. You can find links in this FAQ topic. Multiple versions of .net can co-exist on the same computer without any issues.
    However, note that many installers were re-packaged to get rid of the .net dependency, so before installing .net, make sure you have the newest versions of the installers (Get them from your Registration Page).
  • It would be nice if I could get to Microsoft's site! Waiting, waiting, waiting...
  • I haven't been able to connect w/ MS
  • I had to reboot my computer to clear up my ram to connect.
  • I'm on page 41(again) and I'm a bit confused by the ERASE instruction. I think I understand what I'm trying to do, but that "selecting outside the template" is throwing me. I did an area select outside the template, but it didn't seem to have any lasting effect. The entities on the map were highlighted and I trimmed the river, hit redraw, same map sans river.
  • Oh, it might mean to start the erase selection square outside the map border. That would delete anything not frozen.

For that, click outside the map border, then drag the resulting square across the area you want to erase. Click on a spot to close the erase area.

Right click, select Do It from the menu.

Everything not on a frozen layer will now be deleted.

Basically, this lets you delete all symbols, roads, etc. ni an area in your map with one erase, instead of doing each individually.
  • I'm almost through the tutorial. Hit a snag with "Converting Your Old Maps." It's taking me through putting an old bitmap onto a standard overlay. Step 6 has me. It says to move the bitmap to align with the corner of the standard overlay and it ain't doin' it. It says to click Move, then select the bitmap. I do that and the Command Prompt asks for an "opposite corner." By the time I have 1 entity selected, following the rest of the instructions doesn't do much. When my crosshairs are in the corner of the template, I can move the bitmap around with the cursor, but putting in the coordinates doesn't align it.
  • first corner would be lower left or 0,0

Opposite corner would be upper right. Just drag your mouse up there, and click the opposite corner.
  • Man, I don't know if I have the patience for work like this. I'm redrawing my "compound" map (for play) and I've laid the interior grounds first, then put up walls using the symbol generator. My walls, however, don't meet at the corners; there's a chunk missing. I laid them w/ the SNAP on. Now, I'm pretty sure I could get 'em to line up if I didn't use the SNAP, but I'm not sure if my hand is steady enough. Am I doin' things the hard way again?
    You could use the Combine Paths command (Edit > Transform, or right-click Explode) to connect the two pieces of wall. If it is only one piece, use Path to Poly, to close it.

Or you could edit your grid to make it finer.

Feel free to post your map, so I can give some more specific instructions.
  • Here's my map. I've tried both solutions and the Combine Paths gives me a "select first path," then the Command Prompt reads "(CMB)" with no prompt for a second path. The Path to Poly gives me a "select entities," then "opposite corner," then back to "select entities." I accessed the Index in Help to no avail. Incidentally, my off-kilter door to the "east" won't rotate.
  • One technique to avoid corners not closing is to not start drawing your walls at a corner. Instead, start in the middle of a flat section. As to snaps, definitely leave them on.
  • I dunno, this is way too complicated for me. Thought I had a handle, but the old synapses just don't fire like they used to. I'm workin' on my compound, got a ground sheet, a walls sheet, but I can't seem to get the dungeon furnishings symbols into the side catalog. I'm still determined to learn, though.
  • edited October 2011
    Dammit, this is frustrating. I want a particular door. I can see it in the files. I placed all the associated symbols in a folder and imported PNG. Can't find the catalog in CC3. Went to DD2 and it's in the list, but not in any of the catalogs that I can find. The symbols are there. They've been usable in the past, but now they seem inaccessible.

In the list, it indicates the "end of system symbol definitions" just before the symbols I imported.

Just tried to create a new catalog. Everything went fine until I got to the end result and had broken images. Gaaaah!
  • Please help. I'm like a pit bull with this stuff. I drive myself crazy trying to get things to work.
  • When you look at the symbol list to the left of your map, you will see two tabs under the word Options.

One had a green square, like a map. The other has a beige folder.

Click on the beige folder.

Browse to the fsc file of map symbols you want to use.

Click on the file, then click on Open ( lower right).

That will load all of the smybols in that fsc file.

Add symbols to map.
  • edited October 2011
    Dammit, thought I'd tried that, know I did, but I didn't complete 'cause I couldn't see how selecting a symbol would generate the whole file. Thanks.

The damned door symbol is a broken image! It's the only broken one in the set!
  • OK, I got the door back by re-importing, but now it's only half-smart (like me). It's aligning to the wall, but it's not cutting it. Checked "Add Control Points" and that's right.
  • I really don't know where you guys get the patience for this. Even if I get a decent start, I manage to jack it up somewhere.
  • All right, my wooden walls are embedded into my stone walls. I've tried every tool I can locate to cut them flush, but...
    Right click while placing it and click the "Mirror" button.
  • That flips horizontally and I've used it for double doors. What about an opening door that I need to open the other way?
    Right click, and set the rotation to 180 degrees (Or whatever the current value is, +/- 180 degrees), then use the mirror button if required.