Getting through Essentials

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I don't get a "FCW32.exe has stopped working", but I can recreate the problem of the screen going white. SAving and re-loading the map fixes the problem.

I haven't seen this problem before, and I suspect something is off in this specific map. We're investigating.
    edited February 2012
    Alright ... I've been able to fix this and even found the cause, kind of. Part of your brown houses were weird: their shaded roofs had a fill style which they shouldn't have. Changing that back to a solid fill seems to have fixed the issue. I've attached the fixed map.

To be honest, I haven't got the foggiest idea how this happened, that it could happen at all, and why it caused the zooming issue. You seem to have a real knack for breaking software, bloodymage. ;)
  • Thanks. Yeah I do have a knack for that. Comes from doing things that I know little about.
  • With Ralf's edited version, I could not get CC3 to crash, so my system must have just reacted differently to the same problem.

Ralf, I have a couple of old maps that occasionally cause crashes like this. What process did you use to debug? Did you just keep deleting objects until the map worked and do you have some advanced techniques you can share?

Steve
  • Well, I've completed Allis for the most part. This mapping stuff is incredibly time consuming and demands meticulousness, not much I do so well anymore.
    Posted By: sdavies2720Ralf, I have a couple of old maps that occasionally cause crashes like this. What process did you use to debug? Did you just keep deleting objects until the map worked and do you have some advanced techniques you can share?
    Steve
    As this seemed to be at least partially a display problem, I knew that going through stuff sheet by sheet could be helpful: Display errors generally only happen if the problematic stuff is actually displayed.

So I hid all but the current sheet and zoomed around until the problem appeared (or not). Rinse and repeat with every sheet until I found the sheet it happened on: BUILDINGS. From there I checked what I could do to prevent the problem from cropping up by playing around with the Display Speed properties, where I noticed the oddness of the brown houses.

If I hadn't directly found anything, I'd have continued with the layers, doing the same "showing one at a time" process.

So, no really advanced techniques, just going through stuff step by step.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: bloodymageWell, I've completed Allis for the most part. This mapping stuff is incredibly time consuming and demands meticulousness, not much I do so well anymore.
    It's a useful map, though.
  • edited February 2012
    Well, I'm just wasting my life with this stuff. Printed it out (3x!) except the lower left corner of a 16 panel map which didn't print in any of the runs (had the printer set to 1 copy, but...). So now what? Tried to get just that corner and couldn't get the view right. My printer is now low on yellow ink, it's the end of the month, so no spending to resupply. I might be able to print it again, but I didn't expect 16 panels! I wanted four. So, how do I get this printer set to give me what I want? And yes, I followed instructions.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If you got 16 panels instead of four, it sounds like you entered 4 for both the "# Horiz" and "# Vert" settings in the print dialog (4x4 = 16). If you want 4 panels total, that is two each way (2x2 = 4), so enter 2 for both values.

One hint if you wish to examine printout before actually printing is to get yourself a PDF virtual printer driver (For example PDFCreator, which is free). This is a driver that "prints" to a pdf file instead of your printer. You can then open the pdf file, and examine each page in it. If you are happy, simply use the same parameters to send the output to your real printer, if not, adjust the parameters and try a new pdf print.
  • I think I have that and I did enter the wrong parameters. Thought I had it licked, but the printer still spits out too many copies and that SW quadrant will not print, be irt 16 panel or 4 panel. And I'm now out of yellow ink.
    Posted By: bloodymageI think I have that and I did enter the wrong parameters. Thought I had it licked, but the printer still spits out too many copies and that SW quadrant will not print, be irt 16 panel or 4 panel. And I'm now out of yellow ink.
    If you haven't given up in despair, I can offer this advice - tile print to PDF. You can then print from the PDF. You then don't have to worry about making errors with the print dialog box. A future version will have a print wizard which will make the process easier.
  • Finally. Can't print it out now, still need ink, but I've saved the pdf. This damned computer is too hungry!
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: Simon Rogers... A future version will have a print wizard which will make the process easier.
    Future version? <ears perk up> Any more info on that exciting teaser?
    The next version will be called CC3 Plus. Those of you with long memories will remember the transition from CC2 to CC2 Pro - this will be similar. So not a step change like 2 to 3, but some cleaning up, neat new features and extra artwork. It's likely that buying a new add-on will get you an upgrade free with it. It's at least a year away.
  • edited March 2012
    It would be good if the next version had a 64bit codebase as well as a 32bit. 64bit computers are pretty common now and support greater amount of memory.
  • This printer is jacked. Printed out the map from pdf and it came out OK except there was no overlap on the NS axis. Went through some techno stuff w/ my printer, so I tried printing from CC3. Same results, SW quadrant missing and it spits out multiple copies. I did notice in the Preview that the SW quadrant was bordered w/ a red box. The con is just around the corner and I hate wasting paper and ink.
  • This is extremely frustrating. That red box is preventing me from printing my whole map. I have another problem though, not related to ProFantasy. My new yellow cartridge is malfunctioning. I have a post in the HP forums about it. God, I hate technology!
    I believe the red box is only showing the size of a page, it shouldn't prevent you from printing anything.

When you print to PDF, does the PDF contains all pages correctly? Also, in the PDF, you say you see no NS overlap. Is this how it looks when you open the PDF in adobe reader (or equivalent), or is the overlap correct when viewing the file on screen, but not when sent to the printer?
    Also remember when printing to PDF that you should use the exact same settings you would normally use when printing to paper, including tiling and overlap, since you wish this to be created by CC3, and not by your PDF viewer (I don't think any of them supports overlap when tiling anyway).
    When printing to PDF first, also make sure you use the correct paper size. If your real printer prints on A4, the virtual PDf print should be printed to A4-size as well, otherwise it won't fit properly when you do the real printout from the PDF.

If the PDF is fine when viewed on screen, but not in print, I am suspecting an issue with your printer and/or print driver.
  • The only section not printing is that bordered by the red box. It may well show the size of a page, but that SW quadrant just won't print. The PDF looks correct, but prints less than what's shown, however, the page size is 11.69x8.26 and I'm using standard 8.5x11 paper. I'm printing in landscape, so that extra .69" is probably what's being cut off. Man, I sure wish I knew what the hell I'm doing!
    Looks like your PDF printer is set to create A4 pages, and your physical printer uses letter. A4 is a bit taller and narrower than letter, meaning that if you do print those at 100% scale, something will get cut off.

If you are using PDFCreator, to create letter sized prints, click Properties in CC3's print dialog after selecting the PDF printer. Then go to the Paper/Quality tab of the dialog that pops up, and click advanced. From this new dialog, you should be able to change the paper size to Letter. If you are using another virtual PDF printer, the steps should be similar, if not identical.
    You can also change the default paper setting for the virtual printer, but this involves a few more steps. It is worth doing if you are going to print to PDF a lot though, since otherwise you will need to do the above steps each time you wish to print (I believe it keeps the paper setting until you close and reopens CC3, or start a second instance).
  • Thanks, but printer is still jacked and I'll have to wait (story of my life) to try it again.
  • Something is really wrong with me. My brain just doesn't wrap around things any more. I printed to pdf, but it has 60 pages! I still get a blank quadrant when I print from the program. I can't seem to get anything done with all this fancy technology.
  • Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Somehow, please end my frustration.
  • I'm out of my mind. Just started another map and I haven't even gotten my last one adequately printed out.
  • I've printed out about 5 of my almost 2000 maps.
  • C'mon guys, I really need some help here. Was just fiddlin' w/ my new map and it involves a harbor w/ a lot of boats. I've placed rowboats, sailboats and the ship from the oceans symbols in CC3. However, I need to flip some of them. With something like that, how do you place symbols so they're aligned properly. This map calls for placing hundreds of boats and I've got to be out of my mind to start something like this, but I'm insane anyway. How do I flip the symbols I have and place others properly?

And btw, I'm still trying to figure out this print thing and GaryCon is looming.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2012
    No problem. Here is how i do it.

Zoom in.

Type drag then press the enter key one time.

Click on one symbol.

Right click and select 'do it' from the menu that popsup.

Click on the same symbol.

hold down the shift and ctrl key.

Move the mouse, the symbol will rotate.

Let go of the buttons when you want the symbol to be at a new facing.

Click the left mouse button.

repeat on other symbols.

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your question.
    Posted By: bloodymageC'mon guys, I really need some help here. Was just fiddlin' w/ my new map and it involves a harbor w/ a lot of boats. I've placed rowboats, sailboats and the ship from the oceans symbols in CC3. However, I need to flip some of them. With something like that, how do you place symbols so they're aligned properly. This map calls for placing hundreds of boats and I've got to be out of my mind to start something like this, but I'm insane anyway. How do I flip the symbols I have and place others properly?
    To flip a symbol. Right-click when placing it and choose "Mirror".

Symbols will keep their angle from placement to placement, so align the first one, then just place the rest that need to have the same angle. You can also type in a numerical value in the right-click dialog.

If you need to align a symbol to many different entities, it might be easiest to add a "control point" to your symbol. To do so...

1. Add the symbol definition to your map by clicking the symbol once (don't place it in the map yet).
    2. Open the Symbol Manager, find the Symbol and "Edit" it.
    3. From the Symbols menu choose Add Control Points and draw a line where you want your symbol to align to another entity (e.g. through the center of your ship).
    4. Of the control point effects, check "Align on Insertion", "Keep DynTrack scale" and - if you want to offset your symbol from the alignment entity - "Offset from place Point".
    5. Close the symbol edit and save it in the process.

Now go ahead and use the symbol. It will automatically align itself to any objects you move it over. If you want to turn that feature off temporarily, right-click when placing the symbol and check "Disable Smart Symbols".

Hope that helps.
  • The printing problem? That's the most pressing at the moment.
  • edited March 2012
    Not sure I'll ever get the hang of this. Figured I'd work on my new map and I got 'em lined up alright, but I need 'em pointing the other way. Can that only be performed in placement?

And I'm still waiting for an answer on my printing problem.