Getting through Essentials

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I might be able to get this down by GaryCon, which is what I'm preparing for. However, I found a nifty little thing called Map Notes. How do they work? How are they used? Monster symbols would be quite handy and I'm still looking to populate my kennels, stables, tack room, bestiary and aviary, though my compound map is good to use as is. Guess I should show my progress. Those "cutting" doors still baffle me though, some do, some don't.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Map notes are simply a place to add some notes to your map. You can't really use them for anything, they are available through the map notes dialog (Which I am sure you already found since you are bringing this up), and that is it.
    They do have a secondary function of being able to hold some macro commands. The commands in the map note named OnOpenMacro will be run each time the map is opened. This is primarily used to make sure the correct tool bars and style filters are set to match your map. Similarly, the OnNewMacro note is run when you create a new map from the template holding this macro, and the Resize note tells the new drawing wizard how this template can be resized when creating a new map.

To find monster/animal symbols, I would recommend you search the net. There is a lot of good images out there you can use with CC3.

Can't comment on your work now, since I don't have CC3 available at my current location, so I can't view the maps.
  • Well, they're not likely to be of much use then. I've found some monsters on the web and I've saved the png or jpg images into the Bitmaps folder. A couple of them, I'll need to manipulate before using them, but when I open the Bitmaps folder all I can access are FCW and CAD drawings. So, what do I do with these images once I have them?
    Are you using the "Open Symbol Catalog" button when you try to open the folder with the images? Sounds like you are using the regular File->Open, which is for opening map files, not individual symbols.
    You should simply click the Open Symbol Catalog image button, then browse to the catalog, select any one of the .png files stored in there and then click Open. This should load all the .png images in that folder into the symbol catalog window.

Note that the images must be in .png format. CC3 cannot use .jpg files as symbols. If you have .jpg files, you must convert them with an image editor.
  • Just used PhotoFiltre. Though the documentation was in French, I managed to convert a batch of monsters to png without much difficulty. Don't know if this hobby is worth it, though, given my current circumstances.
  • Irfanview can do the same. Docs in English and other languages.
  • Well, I finally got this damned computer to run the way it's supposed to. A bit late, but I got all the compatibility add-ins installed. Wow, maybe that Update 8 will install now!
  • Well, that didn't work. I tried to install it in the CC3 folder, but it said to try the CC2 folder. I did that and it says to report Failure Error 1. My version of CC2 is 6.12.
    Sounds like you are trying to install an old CC2 patch. Update 8 was the last patch released for CC2. The latest CC3 patch is Update 10 (So technically there exists an update 8 for CC3 too, but the error message indicates you used the CC2 one.)
    Get CC3 Update 10 from your Registration Page, on the downloads tab.
  • When I started trying to get all the material to use and learn this program, I downloaded Update 10 with no problem. I finally got to Microsoft's site and downloaded NET Framework 1 and got the CD2-compatability patch to install, but I have no symbols, same as before. I started to type that I could use the DD2-compatability patch before I got the MS DL, but I may have initially installed DD2. Once I upgrade to CD3 and DD3, those and CC3 will supersede all my version 2 stuff, correct? It might be useful to obtain the older symbol catalogs, though. I may need help with that.

As a matter of fact, it would be quite helpful if I could post a screenshot of my Profantasy files so you guys could help me organize this stuff efficiently.
    When you install the DD2 Compatibilty, you should have a dungeon designer icon next to the CC3 icon to the far right of the topmost toolbar (Assuming you are using the full toolbar set, and not the simple toolbar). If you do not have This dungeon designer icon in your toolbar, open up the CC3 installation folder, and double click on the CC3MenuConfig.exe file found inside (Under Vista/Win 7 you might need to right click on it and select "run as admin"). This doesn't appear to do anything, but it will update your menu files to have the appropriate extension icons (This is actually where the .net issue comes into play. This file was originally developed in .net. However, installing CC3 Update 10 [after installing the compatibility updates], will replace this with a version that does not require .net)

Once the menu files is updated, you should be able to click the dungeon designer button to get access to the dungeon designer symbol catalog buttons. Symbol catalogs can also be opened manually by clicking the "Open symbol catalog" button on top of the symbol catalog windows, and browse to the symbols\dungeon folder inside your CC3 installation folder.

As for the DD2 compatibility update versus DD2 itself. Make very sure that you do NOT install the regular DD2 at all. If you do, it will mess up your CC3 installation (You can install it into a CC2 installation if you have CC2 installed obviously, but never into the CC3 directory)

Yes, DD3 and CD3 superseeds DD2 Pro and CD2 Pro. The version 3 updates contains everything from the older versions, plus additional stuff.
  • 7 days later
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    I can't seem to find SymEncrypt in my CC3 registration page.
    Is that supposed to be available to everyone? Or maybe upon request?

Thanks!
    Should be on the "Downloads" tab, at the bottom of the "For Campaign Cartographer 3" box. I assume it will only show up if you have registered CC3.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    I did register CC3 at the time of purchase; however the only downloads I have under "For Campaign Cartographer 3" are:
    CC3 Update 10
    Updated CC3 Manual
    In that case, might be simplest to just contact ProFantasy Tech Support then. I am sure they will set you up with a copy, or fix the registration page issue.
  • edited November 2011
    Against all odds, I'm still tryin' to get the hang o' this. Just popped for the CD3 and DD3 upgrades. However, I have a map I've been working on, it's a wilderness map and somehow, I have one river and one road on the grid sheet. Can I move elements from one sheet to another?
  • Sure. Hide everything but the grid sheet. That is in the Sheet requestor.

Right click the Change Properties icon on left side of CC3. Select the 'Chage Sheet menu item. Then select the river. You can type the name of the sheet you want to move it to River, or go back to the Sheet requestor and select one from there.

Then do the same for the Road, except move it to the Road sheet.
    Note that in addition to JimP's method, you can also just use the basic "Change Properties" for this as well. The sheet is the bottom setting in this dialog.
  • Seems I have a bit of a problem. I downloaded the pdf tutorials for CD3 and they refer to an "all city drawing tool." It's the same symbol for the CC3 all drawing tools, but it's not amongst my buttons when I select CD3.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It should be the 4th symbol down on the 2nd toolbar on the left. To the right of the "Grid Overlay" button.

If you don't have it, can you post a screenshot of your toolbars there?
  • edited November 2011
    Well, that only took forever and a day like everything else in my life! Figured I'd go ahead and post the other side.
  • edited November 2011
    I really need help here. My organizational skills suck any more and this computer stuff gives me headaches. I threatened to do this a few posts ago, so I figure, why not? I'm fiddlin' in the dark nowadays. I reread the installation guidelines for the CD3 and DD3 Upgrades, then went thru and uninstalled or deleted everything associated with CC2 that I could find (probably missed some) plus anything "compatible" and reopened CC3. Couldn't get a city or dungeon menu even though I have the upgrades. So, here's a screen shot of my whole installation. Please tell me what I should delete, what I should put in folders and how to organize this mess. Thanks so much.
  • I have something called "Search Everything" on this ugly beast of mine and when I pull up CD3 and DD3 (I reinstalled them), all the files are in the CC3 folder. However, in the CC program, I now have a city button (that does nothing) and no dungeon button. Please, someone help this idiot sort this out.
  • exit CC3 and run the CC3MenuConfig program. It will exit with no messages.

Now your CD3 and DD3 buttons should work.
  • Thanks. Wasn't so sure when nothing actually opened. Then tried "Run as Admin," then "Safe Run." The latter said the file was already open, so I knew something was up. Opened CC and there they were! Had a bit of confusion because the symbol buttons were in a different place, but it looks as if I now have the full array. Now all I need is some coaching on deleting unneeded files and organizing the rest.
  • I have them by what I'm working on.

so I have a Crestar folder, and under that are folders for the nations on crestar, the oceans, etc.

crestar
    outerocean
    surfacemaps

Under those folders are these folders:

done
    savedas

So I have crestar\surfacemaps\done and crestar\surfacemaps\savedas

The saved as folder has the filename01, filename02, etc.

The done folder contains the finished maps I'll be uploading.

my starship site has a similar set of folders.
  • I'm still fighting this. I've started my city map and I have walls, a gate and guard towers. I have two 10" paved roads in town, then 10' dirt going to the towers. When I try to Draw my roads, every time I hit an entity, the line shoots off in some crazy direction. I've tried attach and messing with the node points, but I can find no consistent way to go from point A to point B, intersecting C if I have to put a node on C.
  • What about all those .dll extensions and the other funky files not included in my folders? Some of them are holdovers from CC2, I'm sure and I'd like to clean up this directory as much as I can, but I'm just not sure what they all do yet.
  • I just put the roads in, using smooth path. I don't worry about using Intersect and perpendicular attach methods.