10. Samburu
    11. Maasa
    12. Ambo
    13. Anuak
    14. Banyaro
    15. Xhosa
    16. Kalanga
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Wow! You weren't joking about having some time.

Nice work, Charles :D
  • edited June 2017
    Thanks Loopysue!

Before, this area was more-or-less "Here be Savages!"

Not anymore, there is a culture developed for each and every one of the names on this list. :-)
  • This is so amazing, it has inspired me to go ahead and create the world that I have had in my mind, and honestly... it's the most fun I've had in a long while!

I've only got one continent so far, and 90% of it is blank (the other ten percent is very detailed lol!), but it really is such fun to do, and it's incredible to see it come to life.
  • I look forward to seeing your world pixelkitteh! :-)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I look forward to reading the conversations you are both going to have as fellow world builders, since world building is the pinnacle of fantasy mapping on a grand scale :D
  • Totally cool yes! I have one basic continent so far named Almithara, and I'm currently naming all the places and trying to add a few landmarks, a fun and daunting process for sure! Seeing it come to life is wonderful though.
  • Posted By: pixelkittehTotally cool yes! I have one basic continent so far named Almithara, and I'm currently naming all the places and trying to add a few landmarks, a fun and daunting process for sure! Seeing it come to life is wonderful though.
    Almithara is a real nice name. Does it have a meaning tied to it?
    Is there a particular cultural style prevalent to Almithara?
    What is the creation mythology?
  • Oh my gosh so many interesting questions! I chose Almithara because it had a nice ring to it... it doesn't have any particular meaning, I use a random generator to find names and then change them to something that I like or that fits, when this one came up I knew straight away it was the one. To me it means "the land of myths" which I think is perfect for the story that goes with it. It's pronounced Al-myth-ah-rah :)

As for culture - I haven't thought a lot about this yet, as only one section of the continent is actually "done". It is mainly small human kingdoms, as well as nomadic lands that rely on trade. There are several elven clans that are/have been warring over the use of magic, causing a cataclysm and destroying part of their home. Some fled to other lands and made allies with humans. So far there's two pirate coves! I don't know why lol. And there are vast underground caverns throughout the continent. Also dragons - because I like dragons.

Creation mythology - haven't thought about at all yet! I've been using the gods and goddesses from d&d for temples etc... it's something I need to think more about in the future for sure!
  • edited June 2017
    There is no one way to build a world, just do it the way that best fits your needs.

Kelleemah is taken from the ancient Jewish word Keleemah, which means "Shame".
    When the fey first came to this world, it was during the 2nd Shedim War (Demons & Devils). The first being they happened upon was one of the Grigori. When they asked him where they were, he told them that this was his Kelleemah (his shame). Since then, the name of this world has been known as Kelleemah.

I wanted a lot of cultures represented in my world (As if that is not already apparent - LoL!). I designed the cultures first since I wanted the maps and place names to reflect those cultures. I also wanted to have the magical creatures and gods from those cultures to play a part as well. As an example, the three Oni realms (Ogre Magi) are all placed near the realms of the Asia based cultures.

As far as mythology goes, when I first started playing, there was a real stigma from fellow Christians when it came to D&D. I wanted a world where people of faith could play without having their characters worship mythological gods if they wanted to, but also wanted the mythological gods as well. That is where I came up with the idea of using the Grigori. The time of the Grigori takes place before the coming of Christ. As such, the concept of the hidden god worked for my Christian, Jewish, and Muslim friends. This concept led to the creation mythology of Kelleemah.
  • edited June 2017
    Here is a quick take on Kelleemah's creation myth.

The Grigori lost their war against the Angels of God and was banished to this world along with their surviving Nephalim. It was a virgin world without any intelligent life. It is shut off from all other realms and the heavens were obscured. All but a few of the Grigori renewed their vows to their hidden god and have sought repentance while the others went their own ways. The Grigori kept no records of those times for they view time different that mortals.
  • edited June 2017
    According to legend, some 3,000 years ago; a great cataclysm struck the world and the heavens flashed brightly. Great winds, tidal waves, and earthquakes ravaged the lands. The Gardens of Eden, where the Trees of Life and Knowledge stood, came to ruin. A great chasm opened and swallowed the Tree of Knowledge leaving the Tree of Life dangling over the abyss by only it roots. The Tree of Knowledge was never found, but the Grigori took the Tree of Life and replanted it. It now grows within the center of the council chamber of the High Court of Angels. It has never fully recovered, and is a mere shadow of its former self, but it still lives on. It was soon after that Dragons and Giants were spotted within the lands. Neither the Grigori nor the new races knew how this could be. One moment, the Dragons and Giants were on their own worlds (for they came from many lands) and the next they were here. With them came their gods. Many of the evil Dragons and Giants attempted to assail the Isle of Eden, but the Grigori and their Nephalim defeated them handedly and scattered them across the world. For the Arch-Angels of the Grigori was as strong as any of the Dragons or Giants so-called-gods. The good Dragons and Giants were spared. The war was brief compared to the war among the angels, but it is said to have still lasted around 400 years and was known as the Angelic Wars or the Age of Angels.
  • edited June 2017
    The Grigori took little notice of the world outside of Eden and the good and evil Dragons and Giants made war upon each other off-and-on for the next 400 years. This time is known as the Titan Wars or the Age of Titans.
  • edited June 2017
    Nobody knows where the Shedim came from for sure. It is now believed that they came at the same time as the Dragons and the Giants, but hid from the others in places deep. The Shedim came from the South and the Grigori, Dragons, and Giants stood against them. Once again, great winds, tidal waves, and earthquakes ravaged the lands, and the heavens lit up as if on fire. New races appeared during this Age. Old races from many worlds, Satyrs, Centaurs, Naga, and more came to this this world. They too, both good and evil, battled the Shedim. The Shedim were terrible to behold and they were led by the Demon Lord known as Satan. The Centaur god Kentaurus, son of Ixion, led the Elder Races against the Shedim alongside the Dragons, Giants, and the Grigori. The armies of Kelleemah met the Shedim in battle after battle.
  • edited June 2017
    Then one day, the Centaur god known as Dupon met the Shedim in battle yet again. The Shedim leader moved ahead of his demonic horde and issued a personal challenge to Dupon. The Shedim leader was none other than Satan, the Overlord of the Shedim himself. He wore no armor, stood 12 feet tall, and was girthed in only a loin cloth. He was armed with two wicked looking daggers, one is each hand, with green poison dripping from the blades. He was dark red in color, fanged, and black horned.
  • edited June 2017
    Dupon trotted forward roaring like a great beast and made a thunderous noise banging his giant axe against his shield. Satan mocked him, calling him his little prancing pony, and Dupon, in his rage charged his enemy. As he bore down on Satan, raising his great axe, Satan just stood his ground. As the axe blade descended, Satan threw his arms wide and took the blow with a smile. The axe shattered into many shards and a great blast of energy flattened the first few rows of warriors from both armies and as the dust cleared, a gasp of disbelief was uttered by both sides. Both Satan and Dupon lay upon the ground and did not move. Both armies surged forward to retrieve their fallen and a brief battle ensued. Satan’s lieutenant, Lucifer, pulled Satan’s body from the field and Satan was never seen again. The Shedim fled from Kelleemah. Dupon was not dead, but he has never woke. To this day, it is said that the god slumbers. This is why he is now called the Sleeping God of the Centaurs. It is said that the shards of Dupon pierced the covering of the world, for the next evening, the heavens could be seen. Still, none could leave Kelleemah, not even the dead.
  • edited June 2017
    This war lasted for 200 years and is known as the 1st Shedim War and/or the 2nd Migration. Once again, the Shedim withdrew from the world and the races of Kelleemah and their gods warred upon each other again. This went on for another 300 years and was known as the Elder Wars and/or the Age of Beasts. Then once again, the Shedim came upon the lands of Kelleemah.
  • edited June 2017
    As before, the cataclysm ravaged the world and the races of Kellemah banded together. This time the Shedim was led by the Demon Lord known as Lucifer, a changer of forms. He bore the name of Satan as the title of his lordship. Once again, new races appeared upon the world. The various races of the Fey; Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, and Haflings came to this world. And, with them came many of the humanoids tribes such as the goblin kin. The war raged on for another 200 years, but the Shedim had not been beaten. Lucifer, the Satan of the Shedim was a cunning foe and the two sides had fought themselves to a standstill – a front that never moved. It was feared that the perpetual war of attrition would never end. But one day, the armies of the Shedim, simply left. It is said that retreating Shedim that were captured and interrogated by the Grigori, said that Lucifer had simply disappeared. His Lieutenant, the Demon Lord known as Mephistopheles led the armies in organized retreat. Apparently, by written order from the now missing Lucifer. To this day, none knows where he is. This is known as the 2nd Shedim War and/or the 3rd Migration.
  • The Grigori returned to Eden, and the races and gods of Kelleemah warred again upon each other. This was known as the Kin Wars and/or the Age of Strife and lasted around 300 years. As before, the Shedim came a third time and once again, cataclysm came upon the land and new races appeared within Kelleemah. This time, it was the races of mankind and their host of gods. So many gods, like never seen before within the world of Kelleemah. Mephistopheles did not return as the leader, but a Demon Lord known as Asmodai. And once again, he took the title of Satan of the Shedim. Asmodai waged war with brute force and drove demons ahead of his ranks of disciplined devils.
  • edited June 2017
    The world was on the brink of losing this war when the unexpected happened. A band of hero’s consisting of fey and mankind had snuck through the front lines and did ambush Asmodai and his guard. It is said that they were all armed with weapons of great renown and they did do battle with the unholy host. It is said that all had died except for one hero and Asmodai himself. They battled all throughout the day until a blow did land upon the demons leg. Asmodai was a Demon Lord and was more powerful than any god upon Kellemah and was equal to any of the Arch Angels. He was immortal, yet the blade still carved deep upon his leg. Asmodai stumbled backwards in dismay. He tried to use his dark arts to heal the wound, but to no avail. Asmodai then fled.
  • edited June 2017
    Once again, without a leader, the armies of the Shedim did flee. The Grigori led the armies of Kelleemah in chase. The Shedim fled south and finally to a Gate of Fire and Blood. But this time, not all of the Demon Lords fled. Mephistopheles and his horde stood before the gate. The Demon Lord spoke words of power and all of the lands of the far south sunk beneath the waves. The races of Kelleemah were decimated as the greatest among them were brought below the sea to a watery grave. Such was the carnage that many of the races of Kelleemah have yet to recover. It is said that Asmodai’s wounds have never fully healed and that he must use crutches to move about. Mephistopheles mocks Asmodai and often refers to him as the Devil on two sticks. The armies of Mephistopheles still stand guard at the Gate of Gehinnom and a host of the last good giants stand guard against their return to Kelleemah. The 3rd Shedim war lasted about 500 years and is also known as the 4th Migration.
  • edited June 2017
    The Grigori returned to Eden. But so did war. There were too many gods and not enough worshipers. The gods were being starved of their power and more and more were losing their immortality. This was the time of the Faith Wars, the Age of the Gods. The wars were as bad as the Shedim Wars and the Grigori known as the Angels of War and the Haqqodasim broke their oath to not interfere in the lesser races and waged war upon the gods. Quickly, a truce was called as even so-called immortal gods began to die. The immortal gods agreed to withdraw from Kellemah to hidden places upon this world. Only their Avatars, and the lesser gods (who lost their immortality) could walk upon this world among mortals. This war had lasted 400 years.
  • edited June 2017
    Even with the gods no longer directly waging war; war continued. Only now, it was the mortals who commanded war as the various races fought to establish their own lands within Kelleemah. Of all the races, it is mankind that now dominates the world of Kelleemah. More of their number survived the 3rd Shedim War and the Faith Wars. In addition they reproduce at a much greater rate. The last 300 years saw the forming of the kingdoms, realms, and empires that we know today. This was the Chess Wars, the Age of Mankind.
  • edited June 2017
    What now will happen? Will there finally be relative peace? What of the Shedim Wars? There has not been another cataclysm nor Shedim invasion for the last 700 years. Never has there been so long between Shedim Wars. Has the races of Kelleemah finally won?
  • There is a book GURPS Religion, which is great for help in creating creation myths, pixelkitteh.
    And your theological mythos is just awesome, Charles
  • Thanks Quenten!

Yes, there are several books out their that will help you flesh out you mythos pixelkitteh.