The World of Kelleemah

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Lilith, the Tortuous Serpent

Lilith is a Goddess of Death. Although she is considered a Shedim, she and her kind only came to this world during the 3rd Shedim War and instead of joining the Shedim, she joined Samyaza who fought against them. She went her separate ways during the Faith Wars but became one of the goddesses that were worshipped by the monstrous kin of this world. Her followers are strong and have carved out their own realms during the time of the Chess Wars. It is speculated that the Grigori came from the same world as Lelith, for they knew of Lelith and her children.

"Her gates are the portals of death, and from the entrance of the abode she sets out for Sheol.
    None of those who go to her will ever return, and find again the paths of life."

Lelith has three daughters, demi-gods begat by the first murderer of mankind, a man known only as Cain. They are Agrat, the Mistress of the Dark Arts; Eisheth, the Eater of Souls; and Na'amah, the Plagues of Mankind. Agrat has worshippers among the hags, the matriarchs of the Goblin tribes, necromancers, Kegalapan Elves, and various cultists (Especially as one of the mystery cults within the lands of the Sali). Eisheth stayed with the Grigori and became the consort of Sathariel. She now leads the Sheireil as Sathariel's general. According to legends, Na'amah is said to be the mother of many of the monstrous kin in this world and that they are her plagues against mankind. Some say, that she has joined the followers of Azazel to help bring an end to this world.

Signed,

The Father, Council of the Hvitalfr, Lord of Destiny, and the Patron Saint of Orphans.
  • edited May 2017
    The Journey

One of the things that I just love about this project is the opportunity to update my old word. When I first created Kelleemah, I was still using the old school D&D rules. The one where the Deities & Demi-Gods book got TSR in trouble because of copyright laws. It had gods from several book series like Conan’s Crom. I sure wished I had kept that book all these years – LoL! As I said before, this is the fourth iteration of this world. With each “rebirth”, I add new things to it. That is what I did above.

When I first started playing, there were no gods for the monsters, the Nine Hells were not described, and almost none of what is canon today was even thought of yet. Those were the wonderful days of pure imagination. In this environment, enters Lilith, the legendary mother of monsters. The blood drinking goddess of the night!

Now, with the fourth version of my world, I added Agrat the Mistress of the Dark Arts, Eisheth the Eater of Souls, and Na’amah the Plagues of Mankind. This was a fun journey and I thought that I would share it with you.

Agrat is described as being in charge of all evil sorceresses. I extended this to the “Dark Arts” to include both men and women. Eisheth is described as ruling the demonic centaurs and all four were described has being the Grigori’s wives. I kept the tie to the demonic centaurs and kept Eisheth as the Grigori’s only consort. Na’amah is said to have worked with Lilith to give birth to the terrible creatures that inhabited the world. But, although all four were listed together as equals, I found a piece that described Lilith as being the other three’s mother or grandmother. As such I made Lilith the mother and the other three her children.

Exploring mythology is always fun since there are often conflicting accounts of events and characters. Lilith and Na’amah are said to have begotten demonic children by consorting with Adam during a 130 year banishment from the Garden of Eden. But, I found an alternate account saying that it was actually Na’amah with Cain after being expelled from Eden. That sounded a lot better for the feel that I wanted. I then found an account that they were the consorts of Azazel instead. As such, I had Na'amah join with his followers to lead the evil quest to destroy the world.

With an extensive timeline and mythologies already in place, it was easy to insert the new characters into the history of Kelleemah. Even the creative writing describing Lilith is a combination of two sources along with a few word changes. Below are the two sources that I drew from:

Her house sinks down to death,
    And her course leads to the shades.
    All who go to her cannot return
    And find again the paths of life.
    — Proverbs 2:18–19

Her gates are gates of death, and from the entrance of the house
    She sets out towards Sheol.
    None of those who enter there will ever return,
    And all who possess her will descend to the Pit.
    — 4Q184

And here is my new version again:

"Her gates are the portals of death, and from the entrance of the abode she sets out for Sheol.
    None of those who go to her will ever return, and find again the paths of life."

I love researching and drawing from mythology. I love having a world that is not “canon”. I love the whole creative process. If you have a world that you have not dusted off in a long time, exhume it from its literary crypt and send it forth to feast on unsuspecting player characters once more!

(Insert Evil Laugh Here) Bwaaa, ha, haaaa!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited May 2017
    This whole thing is just soo cooool, Charles. We are very privileged to have witnessed your voyage through the history, with all your beautiful maps and characters.

Thank you so much for sharing it all with us :D

And... what will you do next? Another review of Kelleemah, or something completely different?

I'm going to miss Kelleemah if the answer to that is something completely different, but at the same time I would look forward to the something completely different just as much as our regular updates on Kelleemah :D
  • Thanks Loopysue! :-)

I am just getting started on Kelleemah - so, it will be around for a long time I'm afraid - so you will just have to put up with it - LoL! :-)

I will be going back-and-forth though with the community atlas project as well. :-)
  • How do you pronounce Kelleemah? I am putting the emphasis on the second syllable - is this right? (or is this how you pronounce it)?
  • I've seen much of your work on Kelleemah since my arrival on these forums. Just awesome design.

I'm wondering: is this a campaign world you're running or something for publication?

Just excellent detail.

Cal
  • edited May 2017
    Quenten,

Kel - Lee - Ma (Second Syllable)

Calibre,

This started as the 4rth iteration of my game world that I started way back in the early 1980's. My game maps have gone from a single page map on line paper, to a multiple page hand drawn map, a map made using Excel of all things with the pages duck taped together (Dragon Skin - LoL!) during my deployments (26 years in the military), and now I updating it again using ProFantasy's awesome software packages. I was doing it just for fun and I am transferring all my notes from the years of development into PDF format. I started with basic D&D and played through 4th Edition, but now I just use OSRIC (I don't have to worry about the rules changing all the time). Many of my friends that I have here at home really like it and said that I should publish in on www.rpgnow.com when I am done since it will already be in PDF format anyway. So that is something that I am seriously thinking about. :-)
    I think you should publish it, Charles. If anyone should get any financial reward for all this glorious detail, it should be you, and not some other person at some point in the future ;)
  • Thanks Loopysue and JMunsonII!
  • edited May 2017
    I just could not help myself, the free downloads was just too much of a temptation - LoL!

I went and made a old school hex map of Niflheimr, one of my lands of mystery.

It was done just for fun. :-)

If you look at the world map, you will see it as small speck in the top left corner of the map.

According to Vagothian legend, it is the dwelling place of the Goddess Hel and the realm of the dead!

The hex's are set up for 10 miles.

If you would like, you can go here to get my full size version of the map for free.

Thanks everyone! ;-)
  • edited May 2017
    This is the region known as Makara. It is further subdivided into Western Makara and Eastern Makara. It is bordered on the north by the realms of the centaurs and in the east by the Kush. The Shattered Isles also leys to the Southeast. The people who live within these regions are known as the Jana and are divided into 16 realms:
    1. Matsya
    2. Avanti
    3. Chedi
    4. Vatsa
    5. Assaka
    6. Surasena
    7. Kamboja
    8. Gandahara
    9. Kuru
    10. Panchala
    11. Kosala
    12. Magadha
    13. Vajji
    14. Malla
    15. Kashi
    16. Anga

These regions also have three of the Naga Realms
    1. Panna Naagon
    2. Raat Naagon
    3. Nadee Naagon

There are several other large realms within these regions as well.
    1. The Pirates of Nitriae
    2. The Orcs of Mavros
    3. The Lost Isle of Pulauranah
    4. The Birdmen of Syene
  • 7 days later
  • edited May 2017
    Besides the world of Kelleemah, I will eventually be doing maps for my campaigns. I had twenty one in all that were centered around the God Swords from the Cursed Gods Pantheon that I posted earlier. Those projects will be centered more around towns, villages, ruins, castles, caverns, dungeons, and such. Each one of course has it's "Arch Villain". So far, I have only done a CA3+ project for one of those. I am now working on the next one, so I thought I would repost the one that I did before.

As the Vagothian King watched on. The Seer peered upon the bones before her and her voice changed. It was strained and angry.

"I remember the war; the first in the old world! When Gullveig was studded with spears and in the hall of the High One; she was burned, thrice burned, thrice reborn, often, many times, and yet she still lived on! Gullveig of the Vanir, the witch who saw many things, who enchanted wands, divined what she could, and in a trance practiced seidr! All feared her; for whenever she happened upon dwellings, she brought delight to evil! Lorcan’s blade, known as the Odr Brandr, the raging blade; the Brjotamein, to give pain; and the Kalladaudr, to cry out death; has awaken! For Gullveig and her brides have returned!"

It was too much for the seer, she cried out and slumped upon the floor, eyes staring and unblinking.

Hilmr Haldordr knew fear, for the legend of Gullveig was well known. How was he to stop a Goddess that all of Asgard could not destroy, and what if she finds Lorcan's lost sword first, for it had not been seen since the Dwarven Hero, Kanansi, departed with it on his quest to the north over 400 years ago. What if Gullveig already wields the god sword of chaos, fire, and vengeance!
  • The work that has gone into this... just incredible <3 I really admire everything you have done, amazing work!
    I often envy your ability to hold a whole world in your head like this. If only I could - and in such detail!

Beautiful work once again, Charles :D
  • Thanks pixelkitteh and Loppysue! :-)
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Surveyor
    Charles, The blue multi armed Naga looks to me to be missing an arm on the shield side. Is that right or is the other arm behind the others?
  • Pvernon,

She has four arms, two are holding the spear, one holds a net, and one holds a small shield.
  • Posted By: pvernonAh, I'm blind!
    LoL!

No problem :-)
  • edited June 2017
    Reyamawet, the Companions of Death
    from the Book of the Crow Ravings

From caverns deep, two shall rise
    Dark twins brother and sister
    The black crows, let loose their cries
    Warning of the long winter

First comes Shahhat, the slayer
    Carving through armor and shields
    Priests, trembling in prayer
    As the blood waters the fields

Tabahh follows, in his wake
    The executioner sings
    Ending all, their wounds and aches
    To souls dread nightmares she brings

Behold, the Reyamawet comes
    Embrace the rhythm of death's drums
  • HadrianVIHadrianVI Surveyor
    Great work, Charles.
  • edited June 2017
    I first got CC3 back in 2009 I believe. I did a couple of maps for my campaign world but moved on to other more pressing issues and did not get back to the project until CC3+ came out. So, here is my first map... LoL! :-)

(The other map image is corrupted for some reason.)
  • I only have two regions to go to complete the regional templates. I am currently working on the region of Kush and then I will finished with the Shattered Isles. I have a lot of stuff for the region known as the Kush, but I never fleshed out the cultures there. As such, I am taking my time on this region to further develop it (As I do each time I update my game world). So, I may be doing some small related posts on this thread for awhile until that is done. Once I have completed all of the regional templates, I will then go into detail on each of those (one at a time) on their own thread. Thanks! :-)
  • What an epic undertaking! And a magnificent one
  • And such a fun project as well. ;-)
  • edited June 2017
    I actually had time today to do a bunch of work on my game world. As such, here are the lands of the Kush! :-)

This is a map of the Greater Kush. It is broken up into six regions:
    1. The Northern Savannah
    2. The Western Savannah
    3. The Eastern Coast of Makara
    4. The Southern Jungles
    5. The Great Rift
    6. The Eastern Savannah
  • edited June 2017
    Here is the Kush region of the Northern Savannah:
    1. Aag Naagon (the Fire Serpents)
    2. Nobiin
    3. Tigre