my Tunnels and Trolls world so far

Comments

• Not much I can put in the way of symbols on that map. But I'll put in areas for forests, a few seaports, good and evil areas, etc.

• updated, and two location names corrected, and added a number of things. Note the different color trees. One healthy, one sickly.

larger in gallery. I had problems getting the scale and compass rose on outer glow.

LoopysueRicko HascheMonsenQuenten
  • Moved 'Hostile Plains' closer to land, and added a bit more to the continent. I think this is it for this continent map.

I don't think adding hill symbols to the lower elevations would work... afterall, Tunnels and Trolls rpg is a harsh environment.

LoopysueRicko Hasche
  • And here is a revamp of Petal. Last map before logging off the Internet today.

LoopysueQuentenRicko Hasche
  • Here is the 'to the Trolls and adventure areas' mentioned on the Petal city map. I intend to make some adventures at the two 'ruins' locations.

Gresh and Shulnar are keeps of evil wizards. I'm using hexagon grid as that is part of this game.

Should I put the hills on symbols, flat sheet ? Or on a sheet of their own, with less shadow ?

LoopysueRicko Hasche
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I think the hills would probably benefit from having less shadow.

JimProflo1
  • I agree Sue. The hill shadows look huge to me.

• Update. Added Haunted Hills, and made the hill shadows smaller by putting them on their own sheet and reducing wall shadow, directional.

Loopysue

That looks better now, Jim :)

JimP
  • Thanks. The northern ruins. I'm temporarily calling them Ruins A. Almost sunset, and I want to relax. So this is it for today.

I'm not particularly satisfied with this map.

I couldn't get the scale bar to show... now I think it is a bit big.

Loopysue
  • Shrank the scale bar, and gave the ruined keep a name. Added more road.

Loopysue
  • Close up of the Hope Keep ( ruins ). In my reading of T&T GM scenarios, the very terrain can cause problems.

Old Man Tree just sits there, but when the moonlight is weak he seems to move, closer and closer to your campfire. Or is it just the shadows from the moon light ?

Carnivorous plants; ravines; don't wave at the giant fungi as if it waves back the spores can reach and chomp; the good crystals may or may not be actually helpful; the evil crystals hunger; the four clouds tend to move, sometimes against the wind; close, but not too close, inspection of the tall rocks, they look like stalagmites. But where is the cave ?

Loopysue
  • Here is the immediate area, and entrance to the dungeon below, of Hope Keep.

There are 3 trap doors inside the walls. The one covered by rocks is the entrance, the other two open up and a monster comes out. Scattered rocks that could be parts of the keep or small buildings. Some cacti, and hay piles. And yet, no sign of cows, etc. that would be eating the hay. Of course, the hay could be for whatever is in the two trap doors, and whatever is in there doesn't like hay.

Any suggestions on the text and outer glow of the text would be great !

I probably should add some other ground bitmap fills to help break up the ground.

Loopysue
  • I'm sure you have heard of a dragon in a dungeon. But what about a dungeon in the shape of a dragon ? And a red dragon at that. The dragon area is hot, because this dragon can breathe fire.

I'll make some exits out to other parts, and the characters will notice it gets much cooler outside the dragon.

I probably need to use something other than the Chequer 1 bitmap for the room walls.

Loopysue

That's a cool idea :)

And I agree about the wall texture.

JimP
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2023

So it is more easily seen, here it is in 3 parts.

left wing

right wing

center area, tail

Loopysue
    edited August 2023

I used yellow lines to break this map into quarters. Easier that way. I'll provide some commentary as some of the features may not be obvious.

edit: I almost forgot. Inside the dragon it is very hot. Characters go to passageways away from the dragon, they will easily notice the cooler temperatures.

upper left, part A.

room A. entrance from the surface.

area B. two open pits and a cart with no sides.

area C. odd-shaped, just something that looks like a moldy floor, so far.

stairs between C and D. they go up about 10 feet. An evil sounding music plays as any characters walk up the steps. The top most step gives out a groan when stepped on.

room, D, E, and G. nothing there yet. More moldy floors ?

room F. three chairs, 2 tables; one with food, torch lit room. I wouldn't touch the food.

room R. Skeletons next to a rocky path. The water is about 6 inches deep. There is an empty cage in the north part of the room.

room S. 7 skeletons perched on the rocks lower left. A pig watches the open passageway into the room.

passageway U. lined with bones, they might come alive and attack any where enter. I'll be placing a pile of coins at the south end.

room V. yes, that is a store room, lined with bones on the north side.

corridor going from V to W. Looks like freshly laid tile floor. Or is it ?

room W. green glowing walls, and a muddy floor.

area X. I may or may not trim the green corridor bit sticking into room R.

to the west of room F. Looks like a last ditch stand. Three dead skeletons behind the wood debris. Nearby is some wood debris and a pile of rocks.

Loopysue
  • upper right.

area H. a very large pile of rocks. Do you moans coming from under them ?

area J. same, but quiet laughter.

area Q. rocks. No noise heard in this area. A silence spell ?

room P. the room at the lower edge of this map. Opening into the room.

room EE. three traps doors under the water. The water is about a food deep.

room FF. a bridge leads out to the rocks.

passageway GG. more freshly laid tile, the walls are softly glowing green.

Loopysue
  • lower left.

room K. Floor painted green.

room Z. mud brick floor.

corridor from room Z to room CC. Floor looks bone white. Like bones left out in a desert for years.

room AA. a stone and mud brick floor.

room BB. odd-shaped. floor glows blue, if the character can see in the infrared. Otherwise it has a soft white glow.

room CC. a green painted floor. Some of it fresh paint.

corridor DD. bone lined. No treasure, but an occasional skull will emit laughter or smile at passersby.

Loopysue
  • lower right. Not much done here yet, posted for completeness.

room L. rocks.

room M. odd-shaped.

LoopysueRicko Hasche
  • update on lower right. I made a 100' x 80' marine dungeon, exported the graphic, and imported into this map.

I added a gray 80 bmp, and edge fade inner to give the impression it is sunken into the ground.

If there is a better way, please post !

JJ marine dungeon. 2 bull sharks, several schools of small fish... could they be piranha ? a treasure chest out on a rock. Maybe the boats don't leak, and maybe they do.

KK is a connecting room

LL is a path of stones.

Loopysue
  • I've been thinking. ( Uh oh ! )

Anyway, I'm a terrible artist, but I might be able to sketch something for this dragon dungeon. I mean, what the characters would see by torchlight.

Why am I posting this ? To encounrage myself to make the attempt. No idea what I'll do... we shall see.

Quentenroflo1

Oh go on. Have some fun, Jim :)

• I'm going to try. I talked to my sister about it. I'll buy a small sketch book and see what I can do.

Loopysue
  • Bought two sketch books and set of 'tools'; pencils, eraser, sandpaper sheets, sharpener, 2 pastel sticks, 2 charcoal sticks, eraser, 2 paper blending sticks. Just enough to make a mess...

I'll have to think about this, plan it out, etc. then try something.

I'll probably make more of this map, before sketching.

Don't get so tied up with planning that you just can't draw for planning.

I think that's what causes artists block.

If you get that, just draw some crazy stuff and have fun.

roflo1
  • Yup. I took 3 drawing classes at university, but I think I only learned from one of them.

The one thing, this was last century, was to loosen up with pencil exercises, then draw. I'll see if I remember those.

What I intend is to make some quick sketches of various places along the passageways. i have the overhead from these maps up thread. Then I'll have to rotate them in my mind, I can somewhat visualize in 3D, and then sketch what is in the new visual direction.

Eeeek ! Sorry.

Loopysue
  • I decided to twiddle using the Annual Noteboard /Whiteboard to make this. I didn't try to make it well.

I used the gray bmp bitmap fills to make the above. I'll still do sketches, I just wanted to try this out.

Loopysue
  • I have a small box of conte crayons and some drawing pads on the way. I'll see what I can do.

Loopysue
    edited August 2023

I hope this isn't too big, it is jpg. Photo of a sketch pad sketch. Pencils; h, he, and charcoal. The two eyes are a red conte crayon.

I found a drawing set i had bought years ago. The paper is white, and I used flash. I'm not sure why it turned out gray.

Loopysue