Slightly off-topic PC question

124»

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    The password for these forums and PF account are the same... maybe Ralf can help you ?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I didn't realise that. But then, I've forgotten all my passwords thanks to the browser automatically filling them in for the last 4 years! I was under the impression that they were totally separate.
  • Just go to the login page and click "Forgotten password?" and you will be able to choose a new one

https://www.profantasy.com/service/entrance.asp
    I will try that. Thank you :)
    All done :D

That was a million times easier than resetting my Google password.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    Posted By: JimPThe password for these forums and PF account are the same
    That's not correct, unfortunately. While many people have chose the same password for both, the forum has it's own system. But there is a forgotten password in the login box for the forum.

If you have saved your password in your web browser, there are ways to show it in many browsers though, through the settings (Which is another reason you should never let anyone else use the same account on the computer as you, even family. Always have a guest account ready).

And in any case, Ralf can help you out, solution is just an email away.
    Thanks, Remy :)

I will now log out of the forum and do what I just did with my account login.
    All done :)

I'm really getting the hang of this now :D
    Of all likelihood, Jim, mine were the same. I just don't know because I couldn't remember what it/they was/were.
  • 13 days later
    OMG! LOL!

I was so overjoyed by the event that I completely forgot to say.

I've got the PC from Punch Technology, and I'm very very pleased with it. I can't believe how fast it is, and as expected I am starting to speed up again. My thinking and working is already getting faster and clearer. 18 months of working with a computer that required me to stop for 5 of every 10 minutes to complete a single action, and which prevented me from working on anything larger than about 3000 pixels square (just about enough to make new symbols) had trained me to think slowly and lose interest in stuff - to have to constantly remind myself of what I was doing.

With the new machine I can make things as fast as think about them, so I don't drift away into an irrelevant daydream and everything happens much faster. That series of mountains I'm working on in Krita is 12000 x 12000 pixels. 4 x the size of the maximum size I could work on before.

And now for the weird bit.

My laptop, which should have died 18 months ago when the Creator's Update to Win 10 happened, held together somehow all the way through everything, including the processor security upgrade on top of that, until just 4 days after I got the new PC. Then, when I booted it up one last time to look at a spreadsheet a little more easily because I don't have MS Office on my new machine, I got all kinds of horizontal stripes appearing like minute text typing itself up really fast and then merged into jumping bands of crazy colours. It died - 4 days after I no longer really needed it any more.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    I knew whatever you got was going to be much better for you. I’m glad it worked out well, and just in time!

In my experience all those lines means the connection between the monitor and graphics card is screwed up, it seems to happen often with cheaper laptops. I hope you got everything you wanted off of it, if not there’s a good chance you could hook it up to an external monitor or pull the hard drive.

If you don’t want to pay for Microsoft Office (who does, it’s expensive) check out open office: https://www.openoffice.org/ It’s a decent clone and has decent compatibility.
    edited May 2019
    I have no idea how it died. I just know that it did. It was an HP Pavilion - a model that was listed as being incompatible with Win 10 Creator's Update, but an HP nonetheless. I've always found them to be pretty tough and reasonable quality.

I guess the quality showed in the fact that it didn't die straight away, 18 months ago.
    I already have Open Office. I don't like the software, but it allows me to open all my old docs and spreadsheets so I'm not moaning about it ;)
  • I go back and forth between LibreOffice and Open Office. Sometimes one has what I want and the other doesn't.
  • 2 years later
  • Hope this is a good place for this question.

reading the sys req I saw that it stated to configure CC3+ to use the recommended amount of RAM memory.

how do I configure this ? Not very configure savvy

thanks as always

Darren