Slightly off-topic PC question

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2019
    Building a pc yourself isn't really that complicated, and can be a fun learning experience. It gives you a much better understanding of your computer, and it is also a great way of saving money.

There is one major caveat with building it yourself however, and that is dealing with multiple suppliers if something goes wrong. It can be difficult to identify which component is bad (is it the motherboard? the cpu? the ram? the graphics card?), and part suppliers often like to blame each others. It is much easier when you have a company that provides guarantee services on the computer as a whole. I hate having to send my entire system for service though, so I usually only figure out what is broken and send them that component, even if I have whole-system guarantee.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hmmm. There's no easy answer, is there.

Maybe the quote has just been delayed by an unexpectedly busy day.

Maybe I can find someone else to build to similar specs once I decide which way to go with everything. Talking about it here has helped the information start to gel and make sense in my head quite a lot. Thank you, all :)

That repair man I mentioned earlier - the shop in town? I'm thinking that if I do my own build I can get him to diagnose any problems I have, and then take action accordingly.

I might even end up with an apprenticeship! A JOB!

There are all kinds of possibilities.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    All this talk about computer cooling and no ones going to bring up submerging the whole thing in mineral oil?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Note, I don’t actually recommend this I just find it funny.

Self assembly is a good route, and you got a few people here willing to look over your build before you order. For the most part you just put the parts in the only places they fit, even CPUs are pretty easy these days (no more pins to bend and their heat sinks pop in and out pretty easily).
    edited April 2019
    Mineral oil is cool, as long as you don't want to upgrade the pc later as the stuff covers all exposed connectors the moment you put it in. Just don't put fish in the "aquarium".
    no more pins to bend and their heat sinks pop in and out pretty easily
    Well, the pins just got moved to the motherboard really, the connectors on the motherboard is still possible to bend if you are careless. Most motherboards are cheaper than the CPU you plan on using on them though.
  • The most . . . entertaining cooling system I ever saw (pictures of) was frozen vodka. It was a horribly overclocked system, because they wanted to run some early first person shooter on an older processor than it was designed for. They got it to work (poorly), until they started drinking the coolant. Then it caught on fire and destroyed the refrigerator it was all set up inside of.

They did not recommend this method.
    LOL! Do you think that I should dunk myself in the tank to keep the PC safe from my static?

I'd be fast as heck and very hard to catch.
    I'm definitely having a go with the vodka one! :D
    edited April 2019
    Cooling is all so complicated these days. I still remember when you just put the CPU in the socket, and that's it. Not even a passive heat sink was required. Case fans was limited to the one built into the power supply, all you needed. Add four memory sticks, and your PC had a whooping 1MB of memory.
    I don't think my Atari ever had one. Did they have fans? I don't remember it making a noise. I think it just had vents on the top at the back.
    edited April 2019
    What about this one?

https://www.ebuyer.com/862947-punch-technology-i7-1060-gaming-pc-gdt-705-1055#

(My IT lecturer found it after we got talking about the problem with Scan not getting back to me - which they still haven't)

It looks to me like all the things everyone has been telling me to get rolled into one ready made machine - within budget, and with a 3 year warranty.
    Basic specs looks ok. Only two memory slots on the motherboard, but since one is left, it means that they have put a single 16GB stick in there, so you can easily upgrade to 32Gb by adding another stick later.

The CPU is two generations old, but it more than make up for this fact since it is an i7. Intel processor generations are increments, not revolutions anyway.

The graphics card should be more than adequate for you.

All in all, performance wise, this is better than the options we have looked at from Scan.

This isn't built for silence though. Doesn't mean it will be noisy, but there will likely be some fan noises from it, especially during heavy use.

They don't say anything about the make of most components (which is not unusual). Probably not top of the line stuff, but then again, if you are going for top of the line stuff, then the price soars. I know several people have said earlier in this thread to go for make so and so of component that and that (I also have my preferences), but reality is that most stuff works fine (and if it doesn't, you have warranty). Going for specific components makes things quickly more expensive and excludes a lot of more than adequate options.
    Thanks Remy :D

I've ben chatting with Punch Technology and got them to send me a quote for a very similar machine to that one, but with a quieter fan. I'll show it here when I get it. Maybe that will have part manufacturers listed. I don't know yet.

Whatever happens, Punch were a thousand times more helpful than Scan - building my confidence in them over Scan any day!
    Wow!

Here it is already!

· Contour L03 Silent Chassis
    · Intel i5-9400F 2.9Ghz 6 Core CPU
    · Gigabyte B360-HD3 Motherboard
    · NVidia GTX1650 4GB Graphics card
    · 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz Memory
    · 1TB Intel 660P M.2 SSD
    · 1TB BarraCuda 3.5" HDD
    · Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim CPU Cooler
    · Contour 400w PSU
    · Internal DVDRW
    · Integrated motherboard audio
    · Windows 10 Home 64-bit

TOTAL PRICE
    £921.44
    inc. VAT

Its a bit different to the one on E-buyer, but this is tailor made by the Technical Director - who wanted to know all about everything I did. I know these can't be the best components, but like you said, Remy - there's a 3 yr warranty on the rig.
    edited April 2019
    Nice.

It is down to an i5 instead of an i7, but it is the latest generation.
    And that 1TB SSD is quite nice. It is not the best money can buy, but it is an NVMe drive, much faster than a regular SSD, so it is a very nice component.
    Graphics card is also a reasonably nice card.

PSU is a bit weak, so it won't work if you decide to put a much more powerful graphics card in there though, but it can be easily replaced later if needed. With a limited budget, it is better to pay for what you need now, than pay extra to support things you may want to get in the future and suffer on current performance instead.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    Those look to be some good specs. I build my own stuff so I have a bit more flexibility to be choosey on brands and parts, where as it sounds like you need a company that you can trust and be there for you. So if this is that company it’s probably worth it to go with them.

The only things I would consider is seeing if you can half the SSD and double the HDD it probably would save you money.

The 400w PSU is pretty low but they are always making parts more efficient so I just got to trust the builder on that.

Just make sure to do your research on how the company handles its warranty. And as always I suggest getting an external back up drive just in case.
    I think he liked me :)

He's just updated that quote to £1001 for the same with 32GB RAM

And I think I'm going for it. I just need to clear it with my sponsor first.

Very nice company. Totally the opposite response to the little guy from Scan, who it seems couldn't be bothered with me.

Definitely Punch Technology for me!
    Rely - I asked for that even split. Call me old fashioned, but I like to have a back up disc that's as big as my main disc. Also, this way I don't have to fret overmuch about the old SSD v HDD thing. It always gets me, but now I can have both, and of a reasonable size too :)

I also still have my old 500GB external SSD backup for really important graphics that I absolutely can't afford to lose, and I will continue to use that as well ;)

I know the PSU is important, but if I have problems with it I feel confident about asking Punch for help. Its difficult to quantify, but when you chat online with a company you get a feel of their attitude. There's no time to cover up or edit what's said in a chat. Where I knew almost straight away that Scan wasn't really interested in me because I wasn't another company asking for 2000 workstations on a hire and maintenance contract, talking with Punch was totally different. I was instantly an interesting person with an interesting problem to solve.
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    Sounds good, I’m excited for you, you’re going to love the new computer!
    edited April 2019
    Note that while that SSD is nice and fast and large, it is a QLC, so you shouldn't fill it up more than 50%-75% of it, leaving the rest for cache, otherwise performance will drop significantly. So leaving it a 1TB is a good idea, as it still leaves you with lot of room without having to worry too much.
    Eeeeeee!

I can't wait to make the order!

Thanks, Remy - I try to never overload a disc of any kind. The only reason my laptop is overloaded to breaking point is that quite apart from it existing in a hell of incompatible OS's and unexpectedly slow processors, I've completely outgrown it. I have a library of app 300GB graphics. A lot of that is duplicated. When I transfer everything to the new machine it will probably be only about 200GB, leaving room for three times as much as before.
  • Posted By: LoopysueI don't think my Atari ever had one. Did they have fans? I don't remember it making a noise. I think it just had vents on the top at the back.
    I don't remember one being in the Atari 800 I saw at a sf convention. None of my Amiga computers had one either.
    I think the noise it used to make was more to do with the whistling of the cathode ray screen!
  • Well, its the flyback transformer that makes the pitch pitched screeh. The catode tube should not be making a noise, other wise its about to explode.

The flyback transformer is part of the electronics that moves the electron beam around the screen, a line at a time, to draw the text and graphics so the user can see the graphics and text.
    Probably :)

I'm about to make the purchase... I'm nervous. Does any of this sound too good to be true?

There are 2-300 reviews on the site, and only 2 of them are bad...

I have only one chance to get this right...

I think I may sleep on it just tonight and pay in the morning.
  • Look at the bad reviews and see what they say. Is it a complaint about the gear ? Or customer service ? Or just venting, not necessarily the gear/company in question ?
    They're the same as you get anywhere else - a couple of seriously upset customers strutting their stuff. In one case I would say the customer accidentally damaged the case and blamed it on delivery. That's perfectly normal and to be expected, given that human nature dictates people are more likely to try and get their money back than admit to having dropped it or something.

Both bad reviews were answered with perfect courtesy and resolved as appropriate - people given the benefit of the doubt and broken/damaged goods replaced.

When I was chatting with Sion (Technical Director) the contact and communication was excellent and very courteous. The company is properly registered and isn't in debt. There are no massive flashing warning signs I can see anywhere online - no "Don't buy anything from these people" warnings you get when a business is bad.

I think the problem is me. I haven't spent so much in one go for many years now, so I would be nervous enough if it was just my money. But the money is my mother's very special present to me, and I'm afraid that it might all go wrong somehow and I'll end up having to explain how come I don't have a new machine though the money is gone.

I will probably feel ok tomorrow morning. I do feel very very tired right now. And when I'm tired the smallest doubt I have can gnaw at my confidence something dreadful.

It's just me, Jim.
  • Well, I try not to buy anything when I'm tired. So I agree with you in getting rest before you spend the money, or don't spend the money.

I must be tired to, several typos i fixed before posting.
    Its done :)

The PC should arrive sometime around 9th May (it has to be built first).

And I love my mum! :D :D :D

I've got a small problem I need to resolve now that its certain I'm 'moving home' to a new machine. I need to be able to log on, but I've completely forgotten my passwords for this forum and my PF account. How do I go about getting one of those "I've forgotten my password" emails so I can set them both to something I will be able to remember for at least a fortnight?
    While I'm waiting for someone brainy to help me with that one, I just want to thank you all for helping me out so much on this thread. I don't think I would have been able to do it without you to help me chew it over till it was right.

Thank you! :D