Tale of 2 Cities

Comments

• Latest update on Khelaphet - added extra area to E and W, to show city surrounds petering out. Nearly finished western half. Added a mole; does it need one to the prison Island as well?
    Apart from filling in more buildings, I will add sea depths, some vegetation and work out some way to depict arched bridges as a top-down view.
    The background will eventually look better - the buildings will cover much, and I will add extra to the exposed background.
    Finally, i have used just simple polygons in various shades of brown for the buildings, and very simplistic tree shapes. I am sure Jerry Thiel will go to town on the detail. I hope to finish this within a week, so Jerry can add his buildings in time for the Building Competition.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited June 2018
    Would this help with the arena problem?

[Image_11115]
    You're welcome :)

For future reference, if you want to draw it slightly differently - fatter/thinner or with a wider/narrower roof:

24-sided regular polygon, scaled in one direction to the required shape, then offsets drawn at 25 units either side, then ordinary regular polygons drawn using the Attach button to attach each small segment to the nodes of the 24-sided shape in little distorted squares, then all turned to shaded polys using the Shaded Polygon (Angle by Edge) feature.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    I might add another island under the 'L" of Khelaphet and run a mole to the eastern shore to help protect the city from sea storms. A mole to the Prison Isle would make escape too easy. Make one of the buildings on the prison isle more distinctive to mark it as the Pharos.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Something just wasn't right with the mole then I realized that in construction, it would have a base of rock with fill on top to provide the roadway. Could you lay down a layer of stones under it? Or alternatively, they were made from old galleys that were towed into place, anchored, and then sunk filled with rocks.
  • The rocks were already part of my plan. Another update tomorrow
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Here's a "finished" image of the Wall Captain's Villa. Not sure if it's necessary to put in all the furnishings or to leave it "bare." What do people think?
    I think it would take a very long time to add all the fixtures and fittings, and people might not like whatever style you do it in. Best to leaving it their imaginations?

Great map :)
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    That's what I thought and thank you for the complement. I think it has a few tweaks left in it before I will call it done. (oh look that wall is slightly off center, and is the font right, and should I change the background, and .. .. ..)
  • Wonderful maps Quenten and GThiel! I've been really enjoying watching them develop. :D
  • An update on Khelaphet. Added arch 'look' for bridge on causeway (rest to follow); and rocks along moles. Finished west side of city - will finish NW shore and southern half of city later tonight.

First picture is 'revised' version of Khelaphet region on Magumul map - showing source of fresh water for city and aqueduct (though I was rather enamoured of the idea of minotaurs being forced to drink brackish salty water - hehe).

Second picture is map.

Third picture is close up of 'arched bridge'.

I have tried to keep everything vector.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    edited June 2018
    On the bridge, a thin edge of black and a drop shadow on it might be in order.

Here is an image WIP of the small villa of the Wall Captain that is to the east of the previously shown of the Wall Educi. No crocodiles in this pond, perhaps a pet Mermaid instead??
  • Here is the next update - city proper finished, bridges and causeways done, and western side of shore done.
    Next I will work on the outskirts, including an ironworks.
    Jerry, I need to know what you intend for sewerage system; and any other specialty buildings.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Since I picture the city on an artificial island, the water table is quite close to the surface. a sewer system would not work well, so I figure that a major part of the slaves' job is to act as Night-Soil gatherers and transporters using the northern of the two western causeways to cart the manure out of the city to truck gardens located west of the city.

Could you remove the water from around the Serapeum and rotate it so that the entrance is to the south?

There needs to be a "Senate" where the Majernas of the City can meet and layout the laws.

in the craftmsn's quarter add a Guild Hall where the guildmasters can meet and layout what the goals of industry can be determined and quotas assigned.

On the prison island, on the left most of the two northern buildings, add several circles in circles to indicate the Pharos and it's ascending levels.

Add cliffs or rocks along the coasts to the west of the Fortress Mole and east of the eastern Mole and gatehouses at the shore side of the two moles to control access.

And if you can, add a drop shadow on the shore side of the bay indicating a drop of depth between the shore and the water.

There are various buildings and sites that have labels that are too small for me to read so I don't know what they represent.

Thank you for all your work.
  • The Pharos is sited at the end of the eastern mole - a better place for it, I think rather than being near the prison.
    Senate, guildhouse coming up (mainly as labels, as buildings already there); Serapeum will be fixed; mole gatehouses will be done, and rocks added (they are already along all the causeways and moles).
    When I finish all the buildings on the shore, i will do the legend, and also sea contours (rather than drop shadow, which will be out of place in a vector-topdown map IMHO).

I hope to have all this done in next 24 hours - I put in a fair bit of work today, now it's bedtime.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Didn't notice the Pharos label. In its new location, it needs a supply source for fuel, so can you add a Warehouse at the land end of the Pharos Mole?
  • Done, Sire. I have also done a vector version of a bull, based on a Minoan fresco. I hope you will like it. (better than the symbol there at present, which doesn't suit the vector style of the map.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    edited June 2018
    Sorry to keep adding things, but as I work on the Villas I think of things to add.

The city needs several Large Bathhouses, as in Baths of Caracalla. Something else for me to try to map :-)

And a couple large "Barns" for the Cows.
  • Jerry, one bathhouse already there; if you want, I can add another. Plenty of buildings there can be used as barns. I'll send you an enlarged version later today when I have all buildings done. Then you can label some as you wish. Most of the buildings are regular shaped representing their footprint so you can add details as you wish. The labelling will use numbers, with a key off to the left hand side of the map (Remy uses the right side for his menu). I will put an example of this on the next update tonight (about 12 hours from now). I am rather excited, because I can now see myself finishing this in the next 2 days.
    LOL! You're a hard slave driver, Jerry! :P

You're doing well, Quenten - keep up the good work! ;)
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    The Minotaurs do keep slaves to do the hard work!! (especially the artistic types who create nice tile roofs .. .. .. )
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Here is the "finished" version of the Wall Watcher's Villa. Any suggestions?
    Posted By: GThielThe Minotaurs do keep slaves to do the hard work!! (especially the artistic types who create nice tile roofs .. .. .. )
    *hastily hides artwork behind back*

Er… what's one of those when its at home?

Great map, Jerry. The only suggestion I have is to make the tracks a lot more transparent so they don't dominate the map as much. But that's the only thing :)
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    edited June 2018
    edited June 2018
    Bottom, I think :)

In the second version the building and its rooms suddenly become the important bit of the map.
  • I prefer the bottom with its fainter trail tracks. However, your no 11 is incorrectly labelled, unless you have a pool in the pantry?
    Sorry about no mapping yesterday - I will make up for it today, and will be adding a grander Bathhouse as well.
  • GThielGThiel Surveyor
    Ooops, that is a sort of pool, it's the Jakes and Bathing room :-)

Beginning to work on the Majerna Council Chamber. Do you know how difficult it is to draw a nine sided polygon?? :-)
  • I will put this on the map once you get dimensions and shape.
    9- sided polygon shouldn't be too difficult if you right click the irregular polygon tool and pick regular polygon, then enter 9 for the number of sides :)