Community Atlas - Elen Daelarion - Thrarasie Faire Cave, 14 & Western Hill Fort, 16

Comments

• Thanks.

I see the keeps as more last ditch defenses. Long bows and plenty arrows.

Two are named. I'll see if I can come up with reasons/history about them.

[Deleted User]
  • 6 days later
  • I am still around. I am doing fine, but I have decided to work on some of my web sites... inspiration on these maps has dried up for the time being.

• Keep well, and refill your well of brilliant imagination, my dear friend

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

One needs to vary things up a bit. Inspiration can't be forced, so better to play with something else till it returns.

JimP
  • 10 days later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited January 2021

Not necessarily a return return; however, this ground level map has only added two spiral staircases going up.

But Jim, if the first level is compromised, the bad guys can just go up and attack the folks up there !?

Nope, it isn't done by a long bow shot, but I'll post what I have so far.

900 pixel jpgs. 2000 pixel jpgs in my gallery.

Still in progress, but here it is so far. Redouts facing the spiral stairs and redoubts facing the other caves. The over caves to be added later, and some of the paths and room contents will change.

The walls and towers will be further apart in the lower left room.

MonsenLoopysue[Deleted User]

@JimP wrote:

the bag guys can just go up and attack the folks up there

Bag guys? Like in the bag wars saga?

[Deleted User]Loopysue
  • I'm thinking about using The Water map elsewhere, and not part of this set. What do you think ?

Well, only you can answer that, but if you feel it doesn't fit in, or you have found a much better use for it somewhere else, then that seems completely reasonable to me.

• It kind of feels out of place to me. I'll keep working on this and then decide.

It could be a connection between these Caves and the Western Hill Fort that the defenders don't know about.

• 7 days later
  • Ah, the upper level map is gone from my folder on my computer. I'll just import the graphic above and redraw it.

• Since I was going to change it up anyway, I just used the earlier map as a guide. Probably add another barracks, for the kitchen folks, etc. lower right of map.

900 pixel jpg, gallery 2000 pixels.

MonsenLoopysue

The two moats look a bit square given that they rests against the cave walls. Perhaps make them follow the edge of the wall.

edited February 2021

Those are smc connecting symbols. I'll change them out for bitmap fills. Out shopping, on my cell.

• 1 month later
  • Okay, I re-read this thread again.

This is what I see so far:

1) Western Hill Fort with some underground area.

2) a tunnel going to The Water.

3) Orc villages with a tunnel down to The Water

4) tunnel over to a cave near the lower level of the Thrarasie Faire Caves

5) upper, ground, and lower levels of Thrarasie Faire Caves

6 maps to start, 5 to double check.

How is that ? Any suggestions ?

• Looks like I have a config problem of some sort. Free symbols. I'll check into it.

• Alreet ! Fixed the config problem, I'll be doing some above ground area maps next.

• Update on Western Hill Fort. Adventurer houses are numbered.

Five is larger than the rest. They decided to have weekend get togethers there. They miss the old days of adventuring. So there are the occasional, can get out of hand, punch up. Worse than the local tavern on Saturday night.

The Town Watch told them to be quieter.

So they got permission and built a 'rec room' about 30 feet down. No fun hitting exercise dummies though, they don't fight back.

Into house 2, a new guy moved in. Since only retired adventurers can move into those houses, he was invited over to 'get to know ya' night. Talk turned to the exercise dummies. The new guy turns out to be an illusionist. says he can make exercise dummies that can fight back, but don't believe in the too much, you know how illusions can hurt ya.

So, they agreed. But even then. Too loud.

They hired miners and dug down 150 feet, added in spiral stairs.

Unbeknownst to the adventurers, this illusionist isn't a nice person. He knows orcs and kobolds. Some sneak in and stand behind the exercise dummy illusions. And wait for an adventurer to come down by himself.

The adventurer, if they lose, are hauled away down a secret passage.

And if the young kobold or young orc loses the fight, well, there are plenty more just a few miles away for secret tunnel.

Or maybe the new guy wants a larger place to live...

900 pixel of the updated Western Hill Fort. 2000 in my gallery.

MonsenLoopysue
    edited March 2021

Here is House 5. The bedroom is upstairs, that is the dashed line on the right side back to the wall on the right. The spiral stairs goes down to the basement and up to the bedroom loft. The old adventurer goes to the tavern to eat. Besides his 'buddies' would soon consume all of his food. The round circle is to help hold up the loft.

Comfy chairs, a fireplace, and a card/book table.

900 pixel jpg, 2000 n gallery.

Not sure how to add the footpath. I could probably try an insert and copy over it.

Loopysue
  • Basement. Might just let the spiral staircase be the way down to the sub-basement.

The gray trapdoor is to show the location from the ground level entrance. Debris and blood splatters. Illusional skeletons.

900 pixel jpg.

Loopysue
  • Death, a Kobolod village. With building remnants of the previous inhabitants.

900 jpg pixel, 2000 in the gallery.

Loopysue
    edited March 2021

Strife, an Orc Village. One thatched hut kept, most likely by the leader. A few stone remains.

Fires, wood piles, a cage, cauldrons.

900 pixel jpg, 2000 in gallery.

This is what I see so far:

1) partially done: Western Hill Fort with some underground area.

2) a tunnel going to The Water.

3) Done: Orc villages with a tunnel down to The Water

4) tunnel over to a cave near the lower level of the Thrarasie Faire Caves

5) upper, ground, and lower levels of Thrarasie Faire Caves

4 maps to start, 6 to double check.

Any village suggestions ?

Loopysue
  • Preliminary Cave of Tunnels. I'll make it harder to find the route around for characters unfamiliar to it. The ghost tunnel, for those more adventuresome, could be a mirage, or on the Astral Plane, etc.

900 pixel jpg.

Loopysue
  • More of the surface area around the Number 5 Adventurer's House.

Why no east window ? Well, what group of retired adventurers wants to be startled by a morning sun ?

There might be one placed in the loft bedroom. I'll get that later.

900 pixel jpg, 2000 in my gallery.

Loopysue
  • Okay, I decided to go back over what maps are needed and done. I was sort of losing track.

Trarasie Caves 14

ground floor map done

upper floor map done

maybe a basement area for storage ?

Cave of Tunnels connecting The Water, The villages, Western hill Fort, and the Traraise caves map done

Western Hill Fort

ground level map done

adventurer 5 house map done

adventurer 5 house loft bedroom map

adventurer 5 house basement map done

adventurer 5 house 'training' area map

The Water map done

Kobold Death village map done

Orc Strife village map done

Two or one surface cave entrances for them to get down to the Cave of Tunnels map

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Loopysue
  • Overland area for the Orc and Kobold villages. Plenty of room for other such villages, ruins, etc. This map is 10 miles by 8 miles. The cave entrances are the two gray, black glow, near each village. To the left of Strife, and under the a in Death.

Should I add more villages ?

900 pixel jpg

Loopysue
    edited April 2021

Some map updates.

900 pixel jpg. edit: 2000 pixel jpgs in my gallery.

A number of kobolod and orc villages.

changed out the water for the moats.

Loopysue
  • update on maps list. Includes map names:

Okay, I decided to go back over what maps are needed and done. I was sort of losing track.

Trarasie Caves 14

Traraise Caves The Haunted Mountains region.fcw 14 and 16 region map  done

Traraise Caves ground level.fcw map done

Traraise Caves upper level.fcw map done

maybe a basement area for storage ?

cave_of_tunnels.fcw connecting The Water, The villages, Western hill Fort, and the Traraise caves map done

Western Hill Fort 16

Western Hill Fort.fcw ground level map done

WHF_adventurer house.fcw adventurer 5 house map done

WHF_Western Hill Fort adventurer 5 house loft bedroom map

WHF_adventurer house basement adventurer 5 house basement map done

Western Hill Fort adventurer 5 house 'training' area map

WHF_

Traraise Caves the water.fcw map done

kobolod_village_death.fcw map done

orc_village_strife.fcw map done

surface_cave_totunnels.fcw cave entrances for them to get down to the Cave of Tunnels map done

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

Looking at your maps, one thing that strikes me is your use of font sizes. I think they would have a much better visual presentation if you spent some time normalizing font sizes.

For example, on some maps, the labels for locations are as large as the map/area title itself, for example your Danger Hills map (I assume danger hills is the name of the entire area. If not, the map should have a proper map name.)

In other maps, for example the Traraise Faire Caves ground levels, features have different sizes, such as area 2, redoubt, having a much larger size than the rest. Western Hill Fort also have some of these, some buildings have larger labels than others.

Generally, maps looks better with a consistent visual for the text size, ensuring that all locations of the same type (like numbered locations in a dungeons, buildings, etc) have the same size, and with labels covering larger areas being a bit bigger than labels for individual locations, with map titles being the largest of them all.

[Deleted User]
  • I'll have to work on that in a day or so. On my cell.