Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2018

I do basically the same thing in GIMP to make my own symbols, as well. It's only difficult if there's any sort of textured background to get rid of, and then you have to use the eraser to clean up edges and floating bits. If you are on a solid background its simple.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2018 edited

Sue, I have one REALLY big problem. It is that I SUCK at anything to do with numbers. So when people start trying to describe anything to do with numbers to me my brain starts feeling like it took a vacation in Antarctica in Bermuda shorts :P In other words. I freeze up!

Anyway, I got it kind of sorted, except I can't figure out why the symbol of my castle is still pixelated but my houses are fine when all of them are made into symbols. Also, I must have done something with the size wrong because the houses come out HUGE and the castle doesn't.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2018

Ok, no sweat.

If you look at other ISO symbols from the Profantasy range - ones designed for Perspectives 3. Look at them literally. Go to the actual folder with your file explorer and hover the mouse over one of the VH files for a house of about the same size and shape as the one you want to create. See how many pixels wide and tall that image is.

(I'm looking after sick relatives at the moment and too dog tired to look for you right now)

So lets just say, for the sake of argument and easy numbers that you decide from the comparison that you need to make the new symbol 1000 x 1000 pi square.

I would recommend exporting your render at 2000 x 2000 pi square, without any antialiasing at all, deleting the background by selecting the white with the magic wand tool, and then reducing the resulting image back down to 1000 x 1000 pi square (the size you want it to end up being).

This is twice the linear scale, but 4 x the area.

Is that what you meant?

(I'll be back later, but I've only had a couple of hours sleep before the phone went this morning)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2018

And of course you need to export bigger things much bigger than smaller things, or you won't end up with the same resolution.

Maybe a better way of doing it is to decide how many pixels are going to represent a map unit (the length of a grid square), and then count up the gird squares and work it out that way?
    Ok, thanks Sue, I think that helped.

@ScottA: Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. Thanks for the suggestion about cleaning up the edges.
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2018 edited

Ok, so I decided to move this one over to my main thread here for my perspectives symbols. This is what I have so far on the Tudor Theatre. I still have to fix the bitmap fill on the inside wall but at least I was able to get a half way decent looking roof put on the place.
      Tudor Theatre2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2018

Yes, Yes, Yes. Perhaps the covered outer 'circle' could be wider - it is in real life.

That roof was a SERIOUS pain. I'm not sure if I want to tackle it again. I was just happy to get it to this stage. Since perspectives is mainly for isometric views, this was incredibly hard to get the roofs to work like they did. As you can see they thinned out for some reason near the bottom. I think it has something to do with the math at those angles when you get to the bottom of a map but I'm not completely certain.

It also automatically shades some of the roofs when you make them a certain angle too. That is why some of them are darker than others. The only way I know of to get a roof on something is to build a house and then add the roof.

In this case each one of those roofs is actually a house but I did not extend the walls upwards. I just left them completely flat and then made the roof part. The problem is, you can't make round houses with the house tool. Only sharp edged houses. So it was a real trick. But Thanks for letting me know because I may just tackle it eventually anyway. I'm glad to see you sort of approve of the place :P
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Wow, very nice. I like this series of buildings. What's next? A church, perhaps?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Looks great to me !

Thanks ScottA, I've thought about doing a church but I'm still struggling to find a good looking fill for one. I haven't really seen a church with any tudor style wood paneling on it yet but if I do then I will probably try to make one of those. I may go for a cathedral again, only this time more detailed. When I did those other churches, those were just to get a basic shape down to see if the concept was even possible.

EDIT: Oh good, I found one. An Anglican church in the UK has some Tudor style to it. This is great because now I can set to work on a church with Tudor style paneling.

Thanks JimP, I hope this one actually works out. I'm still not really sure if it will work because I have to try to figure out a way to make the inside look like three or four floors of wood balconies where people might sit during a play. Not an easy thing to do on a rounded surface in Perspectives 3, though I do have some ideas for something, it's just a matter of seeing if it will work. Hopefully my next update will be soon.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018

Yeah, thats one reason I haven't tried to do several things in Perspectives...

However, a large building, no need to draw the rooms there.

Draw them separately and label them, by levels above the pit, much easier than trying to put them into a perspectives structure.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018

Judging by online images, the wall facing the viewer here should have the stage and ancillary buildings, which looks pretty much like an open-fronted large house with a somewhat complex double-roof, and a hexagonal (?) tower projecting out of the highest one. From this viewing angle, it should hide a lot of the wall space, so maybe reducing the need to add many of the potentially problematic viewing areas.

I think the problem with the too-narrow roofs that Quenten mentioned, is that the overall circumference of the whole building should be smaller, maybe as little as half what it currently is. Images online suggest about 18 "house roof" segments cover the entire ring, rather than the 26 currently. I don't have Perspectives though, so I realise this may be impractical to actually draw.
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2018 edited

Ok, I've got some progress on the Tudor Theatre. The sheets are just giving me fits with this one as certain parts need to go in front of one thing but behind another and they are both on the same sheet and cannot be moved to a different one. If you do, they end up behind one of the bitmap fills...So it is making this quite a challenge. Anyway, here it is.

EDIT: Wow, sorry about that Wyvern. I don't know why I didn't see your post before. I suppose I could have tried your suggestion but I had already done the roof once and to make that other building would have meant re-doing it all over again. That took so many hours to complete I wasn't even sure I ever wanted to do something like that again. Sorry for not answering more soon than I did.
      Tudor Theatre3.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2018

Very nice.
    • CommentAuthorJoeyD473

Its a pain in the butt but create new sheets with similar (or same) effects and move stuff that is on a sheet behind that need to be in front on this sheet and move it to be the sheet immediately above the one you need it to be in front of and vice versa for things behind. It'll be a pain int eh butt and you'll probably have alot of sheets but it sounds like what you need
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You continue to astound me with your creativity, Tony

@ ScottA: Thanks Scott :)

Posted By: JoeyD473Its a pain in the butt but create new sheets with similar (or same) effects and move stuff that is on a sheet behind that need to be in front on this sheet and move it to be the sheet immediately above the one you need it to be in front of and vice versa for things behind. It'll be a pain int eh butt and you'll probably have alot of sheets but it sounds like what you need

Thanks JoeyD473, that is the way it would work in a normal map but Perspectives is a whole different ballgame. The sheets and effects don't quite work the same because you are dealing with different angles than normal. This creates real problems when you have something like a Cylinder where Perspectives draws it as one entity and solid. Then if you want to put things inside the cylinder you have to make a 3d polygon and draw it into the negative coordinates on the map and place it on the inside of the cylinder. If you move that inner polygon to another sheet, it goes behind the back side of the main cylinder you drew if the sheet is above the one the cylinder is on, and in front of the cylinder if you place it on a sheet below the cylinder. Basically, since Perspectives drew the cylinder as a solid, you can't move anything. Had it drawn the cylinder hollow I'm still not sure it would work.

About the only way I could see it working is if Perspectives only drew about half of the cylinder and then you could create the back half. That would have made the sheets work like they do in a normal map, but the normal tools in Perspectives don't allow you to draw half of a Cylinder unless you used something like the Arc tool and then 3d projected the images for both halves of the cylinder. The problem with that is you have to be very exact with your angles if you want to do that and my math skills are not up to par. Not to mention, I'm not even sure a projected image would be able to support my own bitmap fills the way the cylinder and polygon are. So I have to do it the hard way. :(

@ Quenten: Thanks Quenten :)

Ok, time for another update. All that is left now is the stage.
      Tudor Theatre 2.JPG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Applause !
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Encore, encore.

@JimP: Thanks :)

@ Quenten: Thanks :)

Ok, I wish there were a way to make this better on the left hand side but for right now I'm going to call this one done.
      Tudor Theatre 22.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Wonder what sexy play is going on there - bedroom scene.

The taming of the shrew! What else? :P

Ok, I think I figured out how to deal with the left side. It's the VIP box!
      Tudor Theatre 23.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2018

Bravo!

One observation... should the roofs of the two small sections that protrude be under the main roof? Shouldn't the peaks meet the main roof and not be covered by it?

Thank you ScottA.

Yes, they should be, unfortunately the only way to get them to connect properly would require me to rebuild the entire roof and make sure that the bits that face the to extended houses are at the perfect angle and have enough space on either side to accommodate the roofs merging. That is not something I've been able to do because the house creator does not do circles. It only does squares and rectangles. So it's been a chore just getting it this far. The way I figure it is this isn't really the globe theatre in England, instead, it's a theatre somewhere in a world that doesn't exist. So their architecture is a bit different. That is about the only way I can justify it.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Ah. Well, it isn't really a big deal. Just a small detail I noticed, but it in no way distracts from the brilliance of the piece!

Thanks ScottA.

Ok, this building is not as impressive but this is the hall of heroes.
      Hall of Heroes.JPG
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Wow!

Thanks ScottA.

Thanks Quenten.
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018 edited

Ok, here's a Tudor Church. I looked up Tudor Church because I wasn't sure if there was such a thing. Most of them are stone buildings but there was one that had the plaster and wood so here we go, a plaster and wood sided Tudor Church.

EDIT: I don't know what's going on with my JPG export but it seems to be blurring the windows a little bit on the last two. Any idea what causes that?
      Tudor Church.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018

You definitely need to get ProFantasy to put this together as a 3D Tudor Building Annual - perhaps get some financial reward for your labour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: TonnichiwaEDIT: I don't know what's going on with my JPG export but it seems to be blurring the windows a little bit on the last two. Any idea what causes that?
    What is your jpeg quality level set at?
    Anyhow, Jpeg is a lossy format and not really appropriate for crisp tiny details. The images do get smaller in file size than png, but you always pay for that in image quality.

They are set at 100%. I think it is because I had not realized it before but I had set the export to only 1100x1100 because that is close to pushing the limit on my normal maps. I think what I forgot to take into account was that when all I am doing is uploading a picture of a building, the image was only a few KB instead of close to 2 MB like the normal maps I upload. I found this out by going back and looking at the image to see if I could spot something wrong and I noticed it was only a few KB in size.

So this is what some of these buildings for the Tudor style would look like together.
      Mike Schley Patreon Symbol Testing Map.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Love it. Except for that horrible background fill of course.

Thanks Monsen. That background fill was just to give a contrast to it all so you could see the buildings really well. I don't like the background fill either.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I agree, your collection of Tudor buildings would make a fun annual.

I'm not sure Ralf would want to do an annual about something like these. Except for the Tudor Theatre they are just basic buildings that anyone can make in Perspectives 3. The only thing I did was change out the fill style to this tudor look.

I'm also thinking about starting up a Patreon account for my YouTube channel and having these and other symbols as rewards for the different reward tiers.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Yes, others can make buildings, but how nice to have a collection already done. Creating villages would be so much quicker. But I do see the point.

I'm always pretty iffy when it comes to the whole Patreon thing, but that's just my own opinion... There are a lot of them, so people must be successful with them. It's the same with things like Go-Fund-Me campaigns. Except in a few specific cases, most of those really turn me off. Dire emergencies are one thing, but I see as many frivolous things on those sites.
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018

Well, I decided to change up my Patreon and will not be using these symbols as rewards. So I've released them on the Cartographer's Guild in the same thread the first ones were on. Enjoy :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I find it works a bit better to put them in an album at the Guild. Threads tend to get lost if they aren't active all the time. There are just so many of them over there.

Having created an album of freebies, you can add a link to it in your Guild signature - as I have done with several of mine ;)

The only slight drawback... if it can be called a negative thing.... is that you tend to get a really high visit count on your profile, and lots more friend requests than you were anticipating. That's why I have 43 friends, which is way more than most of the Community Leaders have! It can be difficult at times trying to support so many other people whenever they appear on the activity stream with a new map. Thankfully, though, only a few of mine seem to be relatively active ;)

Thanks for the advice Sue. I took it and made an album of all of my Tudor buildings. I will probably release them to the thread and also put them in the album.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

A generally good plan ;)

I don't know about you, but I find the Guild to be almost too large for its own good. To me its really difficult to find even my own threads after a while, never mind other people's.

I'm usually stuck there in front of my machine racking my brains for a likely search term :P
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2018 edited

Sometimes it does feel that way. But I would expect nothing less from a large guild and there is no denying that the Cartographer's Guild fits that description. You could always try subscribing to your own threads Sue, that way you can search your subscribed threads and find what you are looking for a little easier. When I read something that I think is important on here, that is what I do so I can come back to it later and look up what I thought was so important.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Subscriptions are good, and I have a subscription to every thread I've ever made a comment on, but they only work when the thread is active - only help you to find the thread when someone else has just made a comment on it, and you've just got an email telling you so.

That's what I meant by I'm usually left trying to work out a good search term. Most of the threads I've lost are ones that haven't been commented on for at least the last year.

I also have 25 pages of subscriptions to look through, and I can't always remember the title, so a search is often the best option :P
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Got 'em and already have them set up as a symbol catalog. Just waiting to use them somewhere..!