Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2018

I do basically the same thing in GIMP to make my own symbols, as well. It's only difficult if there's any sort of textured background to get rid of, and then you have to use the eraser to clean up edges and floating bits. If you are on a solid background its simple.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2018 edited

Sue, I have one REALLY big problem. It is that I SUCK at anything to do with numbers. So when people start trying to describe anything to do with numbers to me my brain starts feeling like it took a vacation in Antarctica in Bermuda shorts :P In other words. I freeze up!

Anyway, I got it kind of sorted, except I can't figure out why the symbol of my castle is still pixelated but my houses are fine when all of them are made into symbols. Also, I must have done something with the size wrong because the houses come out HUGE and the castle doesn't.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2018

Ok, no sweat.

If you look at other ISO symbols from the Profantasy range - ones designed for Perspectives 3. Look at them literally. Go to the actual folder with your file explorer and hover the mouse over one of the VH files for a house of about the same size and shape as the one you want to create. See how many pixels wide and tall that image is.

(I'm looking after sick relatives at the moment and too dog tired to look for you right now)

So lets just say, for the sake of argument and easy numbers that you decide from the comparison that you need to make the new symbol 1000 x 1000 pi square.

I would recommend exporting your render at 2000 x 2000 pi square, without any antialiasing at all, deleting the background by selecting the white with the magic wand tool, and then reducing the resulting image back down to 1000 x 1000 pi square (the size you want it to end up being).

This is twice the linear scale, but 4 x the area.

Is that what you meant?

(I'll be back later, but I've only had a couple of hours sleep before the phone went this morning)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2018

And of course you need to export bigger things much bigger than smaller things, or you won't end up with the same resolution.

Maybe a better way of doing it is to decide how many pixels are going to represent a map unit (the length of a grid square), and then count up the gird squares and work it out that way?
    Ok, thanks Sue, I think that helped.

@ScottA: Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. Thanks for the suggestion about cleaning up the edges.
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

Ok, so I decided to move this one over to my main thread here for my perspectives symbols. This is what I have so far on the Tudor Theatre. I still have to fix the bitmap fill on the inside wall but at least I was able to get a half way decent looking roof put on the place.
      Tudor Theatre2.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Yes, Yes, Yes. Perhaps the covered outer 'circle' could be wider - it is in real life.
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

That roof was a SERIOUS pain. I'm not sure if I want to tackle it again. I was just happy to get it to this stage. Since perspectives is mainly for isometric views, this was incredibly hard to get the roofs to work like they did. As you can see they thinned out for some reason near the bottom. I think it has something to do with the math at those angles when you get to the bottom of a map but I'm not completely certain.

It also automatically shades some of the roofs when you make them a certain angle too. That is why some of them are darker than others. The only way I know of to get a roof on something is to build a house and then add the roof.

In this case each one of those roofs is actually a house but I did not extend the walls upwards. I just left them completely flat and then made the roof part. The problem is, you can't make round houses with the house tool. Only sharp edged houses. So it was a real trick. But Thanks for letting me know because I may just tackle it eventually anyway. I'm glad to see you sort of approve of the place :P
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Wow, very nice. I like this series of buildings. What's next? A church, perhaps?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Looks great to me !
    • CommentTime5 days ago edited

Thanks ScottA, I've thought about doing a church but I'm still struggling to find a good looking fill for one. I haven't really seen a church with any tudor style wood paneling on it yet but if I do then I will probably try to make one of those. I may go for a cathedral again, only this time more detailed. When I did those other churches, those were just to get a basic shape down to see if the concept was even possible.

EDIT: Oh good, I found one. An Anglican church in the UK has some Tudor style to it. This is great because now I can set to work on a church with Tudor style paneling.

Thanks JimP, I hope this one actually works out. I'm still not really sure if it will work because I have to try to figure out a way to make the inside look like three or four floors of wood balconies where people might sit during a play. Not an easy thing to do on a rounded surface in Perspectives 3, though I do have some ideas for something, it's just a matter of seeing if it will work. Hopefully my next update will be soon.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Yeah, thats one reason I haven't tried to do several things in Perspectives...

However, a large building, no need to draw the rooms there.

Draw them separately and label them, by levels above the pit, much easier than trying to put them into a perspectives structure.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Judging by online images, the wall facing the viewer here should have the stage and ancillary buildings, which looks pretty much like an open-fronted large house with a somewhat complex double-roof, and a hexagonal (?) tower projecting out of the highest one. From this viewing angle, it should hide a lot of the wall space, so maybe reducing the need to add many of the potentially problematic viewing areas.

I think the problem with the too-narrow roofs that Quenten mentioned, is that the overall circumference of the whole building should be smaller, maybe as little as half what it currently is. Images online suggest about 18 "house roof" segments cover the entire ring, rather than the 26 currently. I don't have Perspectives though, so I realise this may be impractical to actually draw.