Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017 edited

The community atlas project is a project where the ProFantasy community comes together and map out a complete world for everyone to use. Here, we provide all kinds of maps, from world maps to continent maps to area maps to city maps to dungeon maps and much more, and they are all hyperlinked together in an interactive atlas.

Anyone who wants to can download this atlas. The files in it are in the Campaign Cartographer 3+ map format, meaning you can easily edit the maps for your own use, to make the maps better fit your world, or you can just use it as it is, either using individual maps, or just adopt the world mapped in the atlas as your own campaign world. You can also use the maps for inspiration, and examine them to figure out how they were made. And all the maps are hyperlinked together, meaning you can navigate through the world, they are not just a bunch of random maps.

The maps in the atlas are mapped by a wide variety of community members of different skill and style, and the maps in the atlas reflects this as well. And we are always looking for new maps to the atlas, so please consider contributing. Contributing to the atlas is a great way of testing out that latest annual style you wanted to try, to experiment with your styles, or just get some additional mapping experience. And everyone is welcome to contribute, you don't have to be a CC3+ expert.

Download

The atlas can be downloaded from the Community Atlas Project web site. From here you can download the complete atlas package with all the maps made so far. There is also an online map browser on the site allowing you to view exported images form the maps online. There is also a page here describing the License agreement (basically, you can use them freely for personal use, the original mapper retains all copyrights to the map, but read the page for details).

How to contribute

Anyone is welcome to contribute to the atlas. Basically, you just find an area that hasn't been mapped yet, then make a request here in this thread to be assigned that area. Once confirmed, you can start mapping it. More details and requirements here.
    Also remember, this project is intended to be a long-term project. If you don't have the time to contribute this months, consider doing it next month. And there is no time-limit for finishing your maps, take the time you need.
    While working on a map for the atlas, feel free to post your progress in the forum to get comments, feedback and suggestions for your map (Please start a new thread though, this thread isn't for individual map discussion.)

A note about styles

This atlas contains maps in a wide variety of styles. Some maps works fine in the base CC3+ product, other require specific add-ons. This means that there will always be some maps that you cannot open unless you own all the add-ons for CC3+. For these maps, you won't be able to edit and manipulate them in CC3+, but you can still use the exported images found in the online map browser. The map notes for the map will tell you which styles was used and which products are required, so you can get this product if you want to view the map or make maps in this style yourself.

Please Contribute and help make the atlas better, we always need more maps :)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2017 edited

Okay, so I'd like to make an official bid for an ice cave in the southern region of Shessar's incredibly beautiful Ezrute. I'd like to do a smaller regional map within those ice peaks....then an ice cave battle map :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2017 edited

They're yours. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017

Note that the network configuration for the internet connection for the web server changed a bit. Everything should hopefully work now, but let me know if there are any issues.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017

The site worked okay for me on Friday afternoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2017

Not sure where to put official requests for regional mapping etc. Can I put in a request to map in detail the southwestern portion of Artemisia (Irisian City States, Belmonte and Aladousis) once I have finished Peredur (which I should do in the next week now all the mountains, rivers and hills are done).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Sure. I'll reserve that area for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks. I aim to do a regional map, then a few cities and buildings.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017 edited

I would like to request a couple of areas.

The first is a regional map that will be 1000x800 in the region of the Northern Scar on Alarius.

The second, if JimP doesn't mind, is one of the ruins in the Dead Forest south of the city of Basher. This will be a series of maps including exterior, interiors that are still standing, and underground dungeons that have not yet collapsed.
      Request Alarius.PNG
      Request Basher Bay.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017

I replied to your whisper, go ahead. its okay by me.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Thanks Jim!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

You're welcome !
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Great Shessar. I've reserved those areas for you.

Note that I updated the online map browser a bit as well. It will normally only show hotspots leading to completed maps, but there is now a button below the map which can be used to turn on hotspots for reserved areas as well. These hotspots are normally not necessary, but it can be nice to turn them on to check if the area you want to map is already reserved for someone else. If the button doesn't appear, it means that there are no reservations on the current map (or you already have this view enabled)
    (And before someone asks, no, reservations can't be a different color, technical reasons makes this a bit tricky. Neither can you see who an area is reserved for, and I am not planning on doing all the work required for people to mark reservations themselves directly in the atlas)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Not sure where this button below the map is Monsen - it is not showing either on the World or individual maps. Nor does it show by toggling the hotspots. HELP! (I have just downloaded the most recent update, which does show Berenur, thanks)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

It's on the online map viewer, not the dowloaded files (too much work keeping the .fcw's updated with this temporary information). It says 'Show reserved areas'. It only turns up on maps where relevant, but it will show on the world map.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks, Monsen.
    Monsen,

Is there a way that we could get a link to the Community Atlas Project onto the dropdown menu under Community on ProFantasy's landing page?

Thanks! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017

I was thinking it belonged more on the 'Websites' one actually, the community one is for ProFantasy's own community elements. I've deliberately held of asking Ralf to do this though, I wanted to wait until the atlas could actually be called an atlas, and not just a small handful of maps
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Is Charles map uploaded onto the atlas yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Not yet, I haven't had the time to process it yet. Will be up sometimes today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017 edited

Thanks for the info. Sorry to put pressure on you, I didn't mean to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks for the info. Sorry to put pressure on you, I didn't mean to.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Are map pngs being included on the site ? Just sort of wondering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

PNG's of all maps are on the site, both in a reasonable viewing resolution, as well as a hi-res download.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017

I would like to make a bid for two maps on Ezrute: An overland map of Dunor Valley and a city map of Dunor itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Great. The Dunor area is yours.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

Thanks!:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2017

Monsen I have at last completed Peredur with map notes. How do you want me to get them to you? I will try email first
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2017

I'd like to make another bid for:

a) Banjar Province on Kumarikandam (Continent H)
    b) Ruma Helrevy on Peredur (Continent F)

But it'll probably going to take a while to get them done.:)
    As we have talked before, I have started on the Underworld for Continent K and the first WIP is in the forum.

I will also be doing one for Continent H.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2017

Charles & HadrianVI: That is great. Areas registered.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2017

Thanks, Monsen.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017 edited

I'd also like to sign up for the City of Vyrn on Berenur. :)

I'll most likely do the Ruma Helrevy Map once the next Annual is updated to CC3+.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017

Hi Remy, I'd like to do the city of Stromphe (which I have already started), the Island nation of Helmonte, and the Monastery of Holy Spiros, all in the Irisian City States map, which will be coming your way, probably Tuesday your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017

@Quenten:
    That will be fine, but remind me when you hand in the ICS map, as I can't register areas without having the actual (finished) map to register them on.

@HadrianVI:
    The city is yours.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017

I have been checking my cpanel stats page and the Mappers link has brought 7 people to my site. One is likely me, but that leaves 6 arrivals. Wheee !
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

It's great to see that the atlas helps with exposure. Hopefully those numbers will rise in the future as the atlas gains more content (and thus, more popularity, hopefully).

Just a reminder, I'll happily add as many links as you want to your entry on the mappers page (within reason). It's not necessarily a one link per mapper deal.

Speaking of stats, the atlas have currently 3244 online map views and 50 total downloads (Because of new versions being put up, I am sure some people have downloaded it more than once). A total of 11GB of data has been transferred.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

That one link goes to my main entrance page, so that is plenty. The navigation menu at the top of that page also leads to my other sites.
    Great stats Monsen! ;-)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017

I'd like to do a map of the Mt Dendorlig region on Malajuri, and also a structure in the ruined city i plan on putting on this regional map. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017

Great. I've reserved it for you.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

What are in fact the most useful maps for the purpose of the atlas? What is needed most?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

At this point, I'd say everything. We are off to a good start, but to be a proper atlas, we still needs lots of maps of all types. So even if we don't have any floorplan maps currently, right now I'd say another overland map is just as valuable.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

I am currently working on...and would like to officially bid on the ruins in Saguthra in the Dendorlig region. This will be the castle gatehouse and courtyard. I will eventually do a ruined castle, as well. These battle maps are in a photorealistic style, as this gives more much more flexibility in my battlemaps than overland/regional. i wish i had the capability and patience to do a full city ruins map, but alas, i REALLY hate cities, so these will suffice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017 edited

Posted By: Loreleiand would like to officially bid on the ruins in Saguthra in the Dendorlig region
    It's yours. Looking forward to the result.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017

A little while ago, Tonnichiwa informed me that he wouldn't have time to finish his continent at the present time. So, if anyone wants to map a continent, there is now one available (The huge on in the middle, formerly referred to as "D").

Additionally, all the maps in the atlas so far has been made by 6 dedicated mappers. So, I would again like to put out the call to everyone else out there to consider contributing to the atlas. With all the maps that have been made so far, there are now a lot of areas and map types to choose from, such as regional maps, local maps, city/village maps, ruins, dungeons, caves and floorplans. And all climates between arctic and tropical are covered.
    I know it is easy to to look at all the wonderful maps we have in the atlas so far and think that you are not good enough, but stop thinking like that. This atlas isn't about making the most beautiful maps, but about producing an atlas with lots of functional maps. As such, all maps are very welcome. If you want to make a map that is an artwork in itself, that is great. But if you want to make a basic map without using any fancy techniques, that is also great.

Maybe someone will even consider placing their next campaign on Nibirum. That way, you get a lot of finished maps up front, and you can contribute to the atlas as you make additional maps for your campaign. Also, creating a map for the atlas is the perfect way to test out a new map style you've wanted to try.

Details about participation requirement are in the original post in this topic, and a page with more detail can be found on the atlas site itself.
    • CommentAuthorHadrianVI

I could do it, unless someone else wants the continent.
    This is an awesome project and the best part is watching what your fellow mappers do with what you have created. Come on over and join the fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Hi Remy,
    There are two links in the latest version that do not seem to work (at least they lead to a blank map). They are World>Peredur; and Mt Dendorlig Region>Malajuri. Can these be fixed please - all the other links work as expected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017

Thanks Quenten. Download is fixed now.