Rank
Mapmaker
Badges

Latest Images

• Free symbol pack - Tentacles

Thanks Sue!

Loopysue
  • Dhakos, The City of Spires - Watabou Cities Annual

Not sure how practical this may be, as it's not a style I've played with as yet, but it might be worth adding some hedgelines to the outer edges of the fields as well. Just looks a bit odd with so many fields where the wildlife can just wander in and graze at will.

JimP
  • Where to Find Additional Assets?

I have found the DriveThru search options to be frustrating too. It's not helped because they have several separate sites, and some publishers will only add their products to one or two (commonly DriveThru and Wargame Vault). Searching also presupposes all publishers will use the same keyword terms in their products, and not all do.

Of course, it's possible the kinds and styles of symbols you're looking for may not exist anyway. We have kept coming back to requests for modern and cyberpunk symbols before on the Forum here, for instance.

ScottA
  • Friendless necromancer tower

Can't speak for how Ricko accomplished this, but it would certainly be very easy to do it all in the one FCW file.

Ricko Hasche
  • Live Mapping: 1930s Street Maps

I found it is worth hunting around online for old maps more generally, when I was working on my version of a Lovecraftian Providence map late last year. That one compiled information from about a dozen different maps in the end, as the most detailed ones - needed to identify specific properties - were originally published in at least one book, with each double-page map spread scanned separately online.

It really depends how much precision and detail you need from the historical side though, as it can be a lengthy process to find what YOU want, NOT what Google wants to show you!

JimP
  • Community Atlas: Dendorlig Vale, Malajuri

Ralf mentioned on today's livestream (April 6th) featuring this new style that it is to be extended later in the year, which is excellent news, I think! Look forward to that!

If further suggestions might help, a couple of differently-angled bridge symbols would be nice, in addition to what I mentioned before here - and watching the stream, maybe an oasis symbol for the deserts too.

JimP
  • Community Atlas: Dendorlig Vale, Malajuri

Thanks Sue. I found it a really pleasing style to work with; the colours just have that Dunsanian magical feeling to them - colourful, but a bit old-world/dreamlike-muted.

Might be fun to see an expansion for some different styles of settlement in it, perhaps - Elf, Dwarf, Halfling structures, say, some ruins in all styles, and some magical site markers - although there's a lot of excellent scenery already in it, of course.

JimP
  • Live Mapping: Black and White Cities

Been ages since I used this style, and even then, never as it was "meant" to be, as I drew out the deep undersea settlement of Ellenge Town for the Community Atlas with it! Be nice to see how it's "supposed" to look instead though 😁

Loopysue
  • Mapping old computer roleplaying games

So are you planning on completing it now @Maidhc O Casain ? I do find something very appealing about the clean-cut lines of these older vector styles, personally.

roflo1
  • [WIP] World map, feedback?

This is a delightful-looking map - though I do especially like this style, so may be a bit biased!

A scale would be good, as the symbol sizes make it look like a little group of small islands right now, not a world map.

Maybe adjust the overall map size so the northernmost peninsula and tree symbol aren't vanishing off the top border edge of the map. It also looks as though the one snowy mountain symbol on this same northerly landmass is partly sitting over a couple of the grassy mountains that should be in front of it.

As Julian mentioned, some further ocean colouring would be helpful, and perhaps seeing if those two large green atolls in the northeast are on the same Sheet as the general landmasses, as they don't seem to have the same outer glow effect to them, which would hint at shallower seas closer to their shores, and perhaps also in their central lagoons (assuming that would be appropriate for what you have in mind here, of course).

JimP