Community Atlas, ED caves, Daefadel Fort, 9

Comments

• Any suggestions before I finalize these ?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    All look good to me :)
  • Thanks. I'll keep going at it and making maps.
  • I'm doing fine, sitting at home. Working on maps.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Home, working on maps seems like a nice safe thing to do these days. Hopefully you (and everyone else here) will avoid any serious illness.
  • Hopefully. Doesn't seem to be much going on in my area.

I have been mostly playing Everquest II... procrastination is what I've been doing.

Need to clean up the area around my door, and do a few other things... and map.

If anything untoward does happen I will let you all know.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Still stay safe, Jim. A frightening number of people are being mislead by the official statistics. Remember that for everyone tested there are probably at least 100 who haven't been tested. In the UK the policy has been to only test people turning up at the hospital. The government here has admitted that based on these minimal stats there may be as many as 50,000 infected here already. This certainly ties up with the fact that we have about the same number of dead as South Korea, where there are 5 x as many officially tested as having C19. So keep staying safe, and keep taking precautions if you go out.

There are still things you can do with people you care about. I just spent the afternoon with my mum, doing the garden for her. I just never went into the house, didn't have any tea or coffee, refused to let her use any of the gardening tools I had touched, and maintained at least a 6 foot gap between us at all times.
  • The funny (odd) thing is if various governments are successful in reducing the spread of the disease through early efforts, it will look like we overreacted. However, it is much easier to loosen control than to try to increase it if your counter-measures do not have an immediate/obvious effect. This illustrates a principle of War. Go Big Early. :) Either way, there will be plenty of disruption.
  • Yeah, people on the Appalachian Trail fb page have been told hostels, restaurants, etc. are closed and they should postpone hiking the trail long distance should be postponed until next year. But some are going anyway.

The local state park, where I sometimes go camping is open. But their restaurant is only accepting to go orders and they are doing things correctly for the covid 19 pandemic.

Instead of going out for breakfast, I have been staying home.I do have plenty of canned food to last me for a week. Relatives have also gotten food.

As for maps, I have finished my redoing of my Sraa Keep maps on my Crestar site.
  • Here we go, ground level of the square keeps. Why square ? Well, the round keeps were attacked and destroyed, so they decided a step backward was in order.

This one is for work registration of people coming back, or new arrivals, working on rebuilding the town. Other towers would have food distribution, tools, etc. on the ground floor. Two men-at-arms, and 3 clerks, run this part. The spiral stair is blocked just in case. More men at arms, a serjeant or two, and an officer are above.

A few barrels and small crates hold... nothing but rocks. In case this keep gets attacked, nothing will be lost to the attackers. Other keeps, some food and tools would be lost.
  • I like the rocks. In my last job, mostly as a joke, I kept three rocks and three golfballs in my backpack. When asked why, I said, because I can throw them at a shooter, who won't be able to resist ducking.

I also kept my sling in it, thinking my Atl Atl and its darts would be too obvious.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2020
    Shrubbery not rocks. I can add some rocks... Yeah atl-atls are kinda large.

Here is the second floor. No arrow ports. The opening is for a rope and pulley hoist. The barrier is to help block arrows, torches, etc. from landing on one of the beds. Yeah, okay.
  • Here is the top floor. The large opening is for a ballista that never arrived. As it is now, an opening for flying attacks.

No opening to the top of the keep, no way to fight from up there.
    The large opening is for a ballista that never arrived.
    Was the engineers building it stuck in quarantine?
  • edited March 2020
    No. Amazon refused to handle it because it wasn't an essential item...

Square keeps are also easier and quicker to build than round ones, of course and need less skilled workers to put them up.
  • Posted By: JimPShrubbery not rocks. I can add some rocks... Yeah atl-atls are kinda large.

Here is the second floor. No arrow ports. The opening is for a rope and pulley hoist. The barrier is to help block arrows, torches, etc. from landing on one of the beds. Yeah, okay.
    I meant the rocks in the crates/barrels. I recognized the shrubs ... well. I thought they were trees, but not rocks.
  • @mike oh, okay. I misunderstood.

Letting trees grow around the keeps would be an incredible mistake... these folks make mistakes, but not terrible ones, I think.
  • 6 days later
  • Six days ago ?

Well, I hope to finish this up before April gets here. I keep distracting myself.
  • Rather tired, I will trying to take a break on Friday from doing anything on my computer.
  • Home quarantine is very tiring LOL. It sure is tiresome
  • More boredom than anything, not that I go anywhere much, but not being able to go is boring.

Yeah, I'm back.

Map list so far.

Done or near completion.

area, village ruins, inn ruins, manse ruins, fort 1, fort 2, fort 3, worker dorm house 1, new keep, new inn.

To be started or partially done.

worker dorm house 2 and round tower ruins.

For a total of 12 maps.

Back to resting.
  • Working on fixing up the maps, then the last two worker dorm 2 and round keep ruins.
    edited March 2020
    Area map.

Ancient burials on the northern hills. The now abandoned, but being worked on, village was attacked multiple times. The villagers blame their loses on having round towers. They had no connecting walls. In the past square towers were good for them, so they brought those back, not realizing such technology had been passed by.

The battle ground in front of Daefadel Fort was over treasure believed to be inside. The real treasure was in the two mines on either side of the fort.

Some nights there is no one on watch. Sad.

The abandoned village is next.

1) worker's homes, more like dorms. Crowded. Makes you wonder who attacked whom ?
    2) bread ovens and break maker
    3) Inn

4) A small grove of apple trees, not good to eat any more.
    5) broken, and partially burned, barracks for the nearby tower.
    6) broken tower

7) broken tower
    8) associated barracks
    9) an unknown stature head, the villagers don't remember it from before

10) a bit of berry bushes.
    11) Manse, the town owner
    12) the well once had nice cool water, no one drinks from it anymore.

The villagers didn't cut down the other trees.

Third map is the Inn ruins.

Recently diseased shrubbery on the left. Broken furniture with bones and other debris inside. The pond used to be a gathering place, not overgrown and fetid.
    edited March 2020
    The Manse ruins. I'm going to change up some of the text.

A: some rotted wood bits hanging over the first floor unsupported.

B: wood pile, with rats and termites.

C: could be a root cellar, but why in the house ?

D: evil worship area, fire ring and idol. Orange bushes and trees leading into the house from the cemetary.

The orange bushes lead into the ruins, from the cemetary.

Pumpkin patch near the 'e' in Manse.

Next is Worker Dorm 1 ruins

An ogre or gnoll seems to have taken up residence in one of them. Bird guano on the broken roof. The pit out front has a victim and is new. The humanoid has a cook pit upper right of these ruins. Debris and villager remains.

Since I want to place the Fort in one post and the new keep in one post, separate on this thread, this is it for these maps. Sigh. Tired, anyway, only two in this post.
    edited March 2020
    The new square keep, 3 levels.

ground level in this keep, other keeps can vary, are for new villagers to register for work. No work, no food nor shelter.

Barrels and crates are for storage. The three clerks/scribes who work here wont answer much in the way of questions.

Second level.

Guards sleep here.

Food and other storage like arrows. The wood wall section is a bad idea and doesn't give protection to fighters, etc, on this level during an attack. Flying creatures can go right in.

Third level, nothing on the roof to protect from sky attacks.

The large opening was for a ballista that never arrived. A few days walk away adventurers might might the burnt remains of it and the people who were bringing it here. Something, or someone, is making certain they don't have too much protection.

The arrow slots are just square cut holes. No protection from arrows being fired at the inhabitants.
    Posted By: JimPThe three clerks/scribes who work here wont answer much in the way of questions.
    I cast Charm Person on them.

Looking nice, but the background for various ruin maps look a bit plain. Perhaps some faint polygons to darken/lighten parts of it, or with a subtly change of fill, just to break up things a bit.
  • Here is the new Inn. Only one floor. Guests sleep in unguarded tents nearby.

Two newly dug wells, a dining room and parlour for those who don't want to eat in the dining room.

Veranda currently has no seating, that's 'not ready yet' as the Inn folks tell travelers.

No charge currently for the food, but there are those who keep track of the gluttons, who will pay dearly later on.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: JimPThe three clerks/scribes who work here wont answer much in the way of questions.
    I cast Charm Person on them.

Looking nice, but the background for various ruin maps look a bit plain. Perhaps some faint polygons to darken/lighten parts of it, or with a subtly change of fill, just to break up things a bit.
    Thats why I'm posting these, for feedback. But this region has been ruined, not much in the way of vegetation... I can find some sand and other fills and do that.

And they are immune to Charm, but they aren't elves.