New Features in CC3. What would you like to see?

Comments

• The ability to automatically determine where/why a multipoly is leaking.
  • 5 months later
  • I'd like to be able to join a curve to another entity, move the second entity, and have the curve recalculated so that it stretches or compresses, but keeps its start point the same.
  • Default behavior so that when you hit the "Hide All" button in the layers dialog, the Symbol Definition layer does not automatically hide. If you want to hide that layer you need to go do it explicitly (or have a "Hide Most" and a "Hide All" button)
  • Would be great to have all the effects change in relation when you rescale a map, they all stay the original size at the moment
  • Posted By: sdavies2720Default behavior so that when you hit the "Hide All" button in the layers dialog, the Symbol Definition layer does not automatically hide. If you want to hide that layer you need to go do it explicitly (or have a "Hide Most" and a "Hide All" button)
    The Symbol Definition layer does hide when I click on 'Hide All'.

Once exception: When you have selected Symbol Defintion layer in the layer dialog (check mark on the layer name), and then click on 'hide all'.
  • JimP,

Yes, right now the Symbol Definition layer hides when you hit the "hide all" button. That's logical, but not very useful -- most of the time you actually don't want to hide the symbol definition layer. It periodically trips new users up. And it's the rare time that one (experienced or not) needs to hide the symbol definition layer. So the normal "Hide" should NOT hide the Symbol Definition layer -- that's the enhancement I'm requesting. I leave it to others to figure out whether we should have a "No, I really mean to hide everything even the symbol definition layer" button.

Make sense?

Steve
  • Also it would be great to have the ability to colour polygons with a gradient like in photoshop etc
  • Posted By: rikskiAlso it would be great to have the ability to colour polygons with a gradient like in photoshop etc
    This effect can be done from CC2/CC3 by using the Roborally free add-on from Profantasy. Look in the "Downloads" section of their website. The gradient fill is limited to boxes though. To use the tool after the add-on is installed, simply enter "shade" at the CC2/CC3 command line and play with the settings. To use the tool in CC3, you must first install it into the CC2 directory, then copy the file called "freehand.dll" to the CC3 directory.
  • Tiling control. I'd like to be able to customize the tiling options when setting up a large map to print.

For instance, in the map interface itself, I'd like to be able to "Show Tiles", have the tiling dialog come up (specifying horizontal and vertical pages, page size, orientation, % overlap), and then have outline boxes appear on the map that show where the tiles are. I'd then like to be able to customize these tiles by moving them around, changing their sizes, rotating them, and deleting them as if they were entities on the map. There would then be a "Print Shown Tiles" command which would send the contents of each tile frame to the printer. A "Hide Tiles" command would get rid of them all, but they would be remembered and when you click "Show Tiles" again, you'd have the option of using the previous tiles, or setting up a new set.

Ideally the map itself would freeze all layers while the tiles are shown so that the editing commands only operate on the tiles themselves, but this isn't necessary as the current layer controls can be used to do this.
  • 3 months later
  • I'd love to see a way to edit the filename and especially the path for an inserted file. If I change my file structure or change computers, it's a pain to go back and re-insert graphic files.

Steve
  • Id love to see an quicker way to create Symbol catalouges.. with easy access buttons in CC3
  • Posted By: elothanId love to see an quicker way to create Symbol catalouges.. with easy access buttons in CC3
    I think it's pretty easy: Bring up the Symbol Manager, highlight the symbols you want in the catalog, hit the "Create Catalog" button and enter a file name.

What's your vision for how it could be easier?
  • Hence the ...with easy access buttons... like the ones we got for the CSUAC :)
  • Tools to manke it easier for non-artists like myself to make ruins. Middle ages, Greco, Byzantine, and Roman wall, floor, ceiling/roof pieces. I don't mean just the symbols, but the ability to draw soil types for the areas around them. Walks and roads, etc.

I guess that could more be several monthly annual issues. But I do see a need for ruins drawing tools.
  • Posted By: elothanHence the ...with easy access buttons... like the ones we got for the CSUAC :)
    Ah! The improvement you want is to create the integrated buttons as part of the symbol catalog creation process, right? I read the original post as wanting an easier way to create the catalog, and that process looks to me about as easy as possible. In fact, adding the button option will add a step. But I (think I) understand the request.
  • Well, preferably I just wanted a add button for catalog wizard thingy. as a part of the GUI :) "Press here to add a catalog to this button, press button to cycle trough if you have tied more than one catalog to the button" Probably a way to do it, but I am not tech savv enough to make it :)
  • I would like to see more another symbol set added for Overland. But I don't think that would happen. Maybe some water features with cat tails and crass coming out of it. I would like to see more ruined buildings and more castle symbols. Maybe some sky features for overland. Such as, mist where you could put it above forests and swamps. Maybe some clouds and such. I have an area in my map that would love to have clouds above a swampy area.
  • I have ponds symbols on my web site, but those and other's are on John's web site.

Floorplan challenge: Floor plans

5 Symbol challenges
  • I like to see:

1) an automated method to import a non-CC map. Rather than the painstaking days of tracing.

2) more support for maps of the industrial to modern age (1800's to 2010). Symbols and so on.

3) slightly more dumbed down "How To" tutorials for the really really slow people out there....like me ; )
  • well, mabe a big idea,
    but when it comes to this program, or just maps, it's TIME. I would like a map where i could go >> or << in time. so you can see what and when things happend (or will)in your world
  • The ability to have multiple maps open, and be able to select a section and copy that whole selection from one map, to the other, with it automatically scaling the items to the new scale.

I'm not talking selecting item, I'm talking a straight forward selection of an area.

For example, you create a city that is 10' to the square scale, marquee out a nice area around it to include some of the territory you've detailed and copy it onto your world map. The city and the surroundings appear IN SCALE on your world map.

Or more accurately, I want to be able to select a section of the world map, drop it into my smaller scale adventure map, and everything appears at EXACTLY the place it should in the small scale map.

The usefulness of that you can produce continuously accurate maps very easily. This sort of feature lets you, for example, make an island on the world map and instead of having to redraw the island in the smaller scale map, you should be able to just copy and paste it to a smaller scale map and have that whole island in proper scale to now flesh out accurately.

It would also let you have a ready made canvas for laying out your coastal cities. You just copy that section of the coastline into the smaller scale map, and bang you now have a nice layout ready for you to start laying out streets and such (Maybe add a fractalize feature also to help roughen up areas or automaticallly fill in some missing details (streams, rivers, etc.)
  • Better image output options for use with virtual table top software.

I'd love to be able to export PNG images at a scale defined by x feet= y pixels, IE, 5 ft = 50 px or 3 m = 100 px, etc.
  • Hi!

A great new behaviour I would happy to get is multilevel shadow casting! I explain: I got a castle wall with crenellations. I first draw my wall on a first sheet then my crenellations on a second sheet configuring shadows to be a bit longer... The result is a mixed of the two shadows instead of a single shadow...
    It would be a good point to decide a shadow is grouped with others by using, say, an index for instance.

Then we could place Tower and walls and crenelations at different height on sheets that cast a "single looking" shadow with different length...

Same can be done using a single sheet, drawing manually polygons representing the complexe shaped shadow then activate effects like blur and transparency, but it is far more complexe, IMHO.

See you all!
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Lots of really good ideas, here.
    Posted By: Anoril
    I would like to see more another symbol set added for Overland. But I don't think that would happen. Maybe some water features with cat tails and crass coming out of it. I would like to see more ruined buildings and more castle symbols. Maybe some sky features for overland. Such as, mist where you could put it above forests and swamps. Maybe some clouds and such. I have an area in my map that would love to have clouds above a swampy area.
    So, do you mean additional symbols in the current style, or new styles? If you want specific new symbols, a comprehensive list would be helpful.
    Posted By: AnorilHi!

A great new behaviour I would happy to get is multilevel shadow casting! I explain: I got a castle wall with crenellations. I first draw my wall on a first sheet then my crenellations on a second sheet configuring shadows to be a bit longer... The result is a mixed of the two shadows instead of a single shadow...
    It would be a good point to decide a shadow is grouped with others by using, say, an index for instance.

Then we could place Tower and walls and crenelations at different height on sheets that cast a "single looking" shadow with different length...

Same can be done using a single sheet, drawing manually polygons representing the complexe shaped shadow then activate effects like blur and transparency, but it is far more complexe, IMHO.

See you all!
    I think you can do this already by adding a wall shadow effect on each sheet, with differing lengths.
    Posted By: kristof65Better image output options for use with virtual table top software.

I'd love to be able to export PNG images at a scale defined by x feet= y pixels, IE, 5 ft = 50 px or 3 m = 100 px, etc.
    Any exact specs you can give for specific software would be helpful.
  • StevenavStevenav Newcomer
    edited February 2010
    How about this for DD;

Wall with thickness that share end points can be commanded to be auto cornered.

For example. draw a wall, then draw a wall perpendicular to it with the start point of that new wall at the end point of the other wall. You end up with a little notch in the corner instead of a nice sharp corner.

In DD1 you had a more complex corridor tool, but it worked better because you didn't end up with funky notched walls.

I'd like a tool that lets you select wall 1 and wall 2 and it knows to draw them like a single wall with properly wrapped corners.
  • I'm only a couple of weeks to this SW so some of these might exist I just haven't found them yet. Some may not make sense because of something I don't know yet.

Sandbox all the macros so that changes don't stick outside the macro. I ran into the selbyd problem on my second day. I was this close >< to returning the SW.

Textures that run along the length of a line instead of being in a fixed direction while the line wiggles around. This would let us do cool things with textured roads, train tracks, rope bridges, ropes, and chains that can only be done as symbols right now.

Dockable or floating palette windows. I'd like to leave any number of windows up while working, that way I don't need to do things like open the sheets dialog, hide everything, close it, make one small change, then reopen, reveal those things, and close it again. When I'm drawing multiple contours I'd love to keep the Select Drawing Tool window open so I don't have to open it each time I want to change. If you get really fancy allow multiples of the same palette window where it makes sense; like symbols.

Easier Symbol Catalog Building. I'd love to be able to drag and drop from one catalog or the symbol toolbar to a new catalog.

Easier custom button building, particularly from symbols. I'd love a menu item or right click action that puts a symbol catalog right in the bar.

Pervasive scroll wheel support.

Pervasive key shortcuts. Hit 'L' start a line, Hit 'z' start zooming, that kind of thing. Have keys for the generic buttons areas, in Overland mode 1 is Landmass, 2 is contour line, 3 is road, etc; in city mode the same keys are House, Street, Road.

An easier way to select from among objects that are stacked. Instead of having to go into the list and remember some distinguishing characteristic how about a window that lists everything selected and a way to unselect them in that window.
  • Posted By: rreay...An easier way to select from among objects that are stacked. Instead of having to go into the list and remember some distinguishing characteristic how about a window that lists everything selected and a way to unselect them in that window.
    Maybe that could be a 'select by list' option, which shows all the entities selected (maybe with summary info) and allows you to check/uncheck specific ones. That would help me a lot when I selected a bunch of stuff and know that I have some things in there that I don't want. Or if I've copied an entity, changed something & need to front it -- select the two entities, bring up the list, uncheck the old one and I'm done.

This might not save the experienced folks a lot of steps, but it would be visually easier and more sure (they see that selecion list in the middle of the process) for everyone.
    Posted By: Stevenav
    For example. draw a wall, then draw a wall perpendicular to it with the start point of that new wall at the end point of the other wall. You end up with a little notch in the corner instead of a nice sharp corner.

In DD1 you had a more complex corridor tool, but it worked better because you didn't end up with funky notched walls.
    Can you please give me an idea of what goes wrong and what you'd like to see? Either post an attachment, or email me an fcw.
    Posted By: rreay
    Sandbox all the macros so that changes don't stick outside the macro. I ran into the selbyd problem on my second day. I was this close >< to returning the SW.
    This is certainly how they are supposed to work. If you can get one to do this, we can fix the bug.