Community Atlas-Forrestal Manor Chapel Ruins

13»

Comments

• 10 months later
  • Re-booting this thread. . sorry for necro-posting!

How does one get the curved windows? Is this also the "color key" effect or is it a different technique? Thanks!
  • The windows are just the symbols that come with PER3. The color key effect doesn't work with symbols so in this case, to make it look like the windows were broken/missing, I just drew over the symbols with the grass texture.

Working with PER3 can take a bit of visual trickery but is well worth the effort in the end. :)
  • Ok - thanks!

I wonder if there is a workaround involving extruding a floor with a hole in it, and realigning?
  • Yes, you can extrude a multipoly (i.e. a polygon with a hole in it) and then rotate it. All you would need to do is get the original angle and edge colors figured.

This sample is just done quickly to show that it is possible.
  • What's the trick to getting an actual torus drawing?
  • Will play with it some more -thanks again!
  • Hey Shessar, these are looking great! I have a couple of questions about your effects.

In the ground level battle map, how did you create the terrain elevations?

And on the crypt... I love the way you textured it! I'm trying to figure out how you did it, and I can't seem to work it in my head. For example. I love what you did with the floor and the stairs. Now I'm not talking about the stair symbol, I mean the steps in the cross hallway. There seems to be a layering effect, and then the glow, is there a bevel there too?

But what really gets me is the walls! I would really like to know how you did that! It looks to me like you used the same fill you used for the floor, but it looks like you managed to change the scale on the fill so that they look different. Or is it a different fill?

I can also see a layered look, similar to what I did for your contest a few years ago, but there's a twist on it too. The bottom layer has a straight edge to it, but each of the other layers it looks like you followed the contours of the stone. I really like the look that it creates, and I have some sewers that I have to make that would really benefit from that technique, if you could tell us how you did it! I also like the top layer... that looks like soil, it looks fantastic!
  • Thanks Strorm, glad you like them!

The outdoor elevations and stairs are done using the same technique of blurred black and white lines and different shades of fills. I'll try doing a quick tutorial but won't get to it until much later today or tomorrow. It isn't hard to figure out if you look at the fcw for these maps but a description might help. It's a fast and easy way to add some contouring to a battle map.

The walls of the crypt are three sheets: Regular wall sheet and two sheets using the block symbols from the February 2018 Annual. The dirt is just another sheet with a lighted bevel.
  • Ahh! I don't have the annual. I need to get the annuals! It looks amazing!