Community Atlas Project - Call for Mappers

1235»

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
  • Many thanks ! Sometimes my spelling ability, hands, and brain don't work well together.
  • edited March 2017
    Brilliant work, Monsen! That list is very helpful, I think.

I wanted to avoid the sticky because if it gets too many messages, finding the key post with the link on page one won't be so easy, given the system takes established Forum users to the last message they viewed - very useful, but slightly less so in cases like this! I have already kept a separate copy of the website address anyway, however!

My comment about the font names was partly because from memory, Shessar had exploded the font in the Alarius title, so I'm not sure that would still show up on a text entry check.
    Posted By: JimPSometimes my spelling ability, hands, and brain don't work well together.
    You are not alone in this, Jim (also add in dexterity)...
  • I have a question...

Have I misinterpreted what we are doing here?

I thought we were creating an atlas of maps that someone could grab, modify to suit their campaign's needs, and then use freely.

Everyone seems to be creating detailed stories and races with very specific place names and cultures relating to their stories.

Are we actually creating a campaign setting rather than an atlas?

I guess I really need to know. I'm too deep into my own campaign design to want to make someone else's campaign world. I don't mind knocking off a few maps but am not interested in more than that.
  • I don't intend on providing much detail beyond what i've done for Malajuri and Skorra (this one has a bit more lore as i was feeling "creative") - i think you can provide as much or as little as you'd like, if im not mistaken :)
    edited March 2017
    No, you're not wrong Shessar.

The main idea here is to create an atlas, nothing more. Some people seems to be enjoying doing some write-ups about their continent and maps, and for those that want to do that, I think that is nice, because it can also serve as inspiration for people wanting to map the area, and also for those using the maps (or they can ignore it if they have other plans), but nobody should feel forced to create detailed descriptions/stories/etc, nor should anyone feel obliged to take them into consideration. When you make a detail map from someone elses map, that detail map is yours to do as you see fit.
    I think many people also find it easier to come up with nice place names if they plan some context along with the map, but again, there is no requirement to do so, it is still the maps that are the main focus here.
  • Haha:)
    Initially I didn't intend to do any map notes at all. But then everyone else made one.
    So I tried to keep it short but things got way out of hands.:P
  • Thanks Lorelei and Monsen. I was beginning to wonder if I had read things wrong.

I don't own the FRIA, but another member of our gaming group does. (He says It still runs great on Win10.) He's used its maps as the basis for his campaign since it came out. He never bought CC2, just FRIA. He's never changed any names or anything, just used the maps as they are even though his world is nothing like FR.

I though creating a similar updated resource was a cool idea. Glad I don't have to do more than that. :D
    edited March 2017
    As an additional note to people struggle with time (mostly all of us, I recon):
    A lot of people spend A LOT of time on the maps, making them incredible detailed and spending lots of time beautifying them. While it is up to everyone how much time and effort they want to put into each map, DO NOT feel like you have to spend countless hours on it. For this atlas to be useful, we are better served with a large number of simpler maps, rather than a small handful of incredible gorgeous ones.
    Don't get me wrong, I love seeing those gorgeous lovingly crafted maps and they truly make the atlas shine, and as I said above, it is up to you how much time you wish to spend, but I don't want other potential contributors to think that is the benchmark we are holding people against. I want to avoid people choosing to NOT contribute because they think it is a huge time investment (or beyond their skills). And maps submitted to the atlas doesn't have to be the best maps you could possible create either.
    (Hint: If there is a new map style you wish to try out, making a map for the atlas is a great way of testing it out)
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2017
    Oh good, because I don't use detail on large maps, just the small ones for towns, dungeons, cities, etc. I was wondering if I had misread something. I have been a bit under the weather for the past week... I showed up for a ham radio meeting, wrong weekend.
    Posted By: HadrianVISo I tried to keep it short but things got way out of hands.:P
    Yea. Yours were the first I couldn't fit into a single map note. :-)
  • Haha, sorry. I just couldn't help but adding more amd more stuff in order to keep things consistent.

What kind of map notes are we talking about?
    Would maybe a brief map note with the nowadays infos and a link to the full description suffice for the purpose?
    I could provide a shorter version.
    Posted By: HadrianVIWhat kind of map notes are we talking about?
    In CC3(+), if you just hit the Map Notes button on the system toolbar, you get to the map notes. Each note can hold a reasonable amount of (plain) text. I just divided your text over 3 such notes.
  • A further thought on the map notes. It may be helpful to add which symbol sets/add-ons will be needed to view the FCW versions of some of the detailed maps. The "Skorra" map has a load of red X's for me, for example, and while that's not a huge problem, because I knew there could be difficulties thanks to what I don't have on my system at present, I can imagine other folks might be a bit put off by this.
    Required products are listed in the map notes for each individual .fcw.
  • Note to Lorelei - I too am getting a lot of red X's. What are the exact names of the house symbols you used, cos I might have them, but with different names or in different spots.
    edited March 2017
    @Quenten:
    If you open the symbol manager, you will see all symbols she used. You can also examine an individual symbol in the map using List on it, both methods will yield exact symbol names.
    As I mentioned above, the map note 'Required Products' lists everything you need to have installed to see the map.
    edited March 2017
    After letting the vote run for a week, we now have a name for our world.
    The most popular name in the poll was...

Nibirum (Suggested by CharlesWayneRobinson)
  • Posted By: MonsenAfter letting the vote run for a week, we now have a name for our world.
    The most popular name in the poll was...

Nibirum(Suggested by CharlesWayneRobinson)
    All hail Nibirum! :)
  • Posted By: QuentenNote to Lorelei - I too am getting a lot of red X's. What are the exact names of the house symbols you used, cos I might have them, but with different names or in different spots.
    I used the CDA buildings, Gothic and Wooden and i think maybe one or two from either the CSUAC (Dundjinni Archives) and Bogies symbols
  • Thanks for the help, both Monsen and Lorelei - I should have realized about using Symbol Manager and List, especially as I use these a lot myself. Sorry for that
  • Posted By: MonsenRequired products are listed in the map notes for each individual .fcw.
    Thanks Monsen. Might have known I shouldn't have been ignoring that...
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: HadrianVIWhat kind of map notes are we talking about?
    In CC3(+), if you just hit the Map Notes button on the system toolbar, you get to the map notes. Each note can hold a reasonable amount of (plain) text. I just divided your text over 3 such notes.
    I didn't know that this function existed. Good to know.