Community Atlas Project - Call for Mappers

Comments

• I'll toss a couple in: "Salta," which is "Atlas" backwards. Or "Domhan," which I think is Irish Gaelic for "world."
  • Shar-Nala is my suggestion. My first post apparently didn't make it... of course I could have clicked wrong thing.
  • I was wondering, are we going to announce this atlas anywhere ? I have an account on dragonsfoot.org if you want me to post about it there.
  • Just a quick question: Are we also allowed to use HW Style?:)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: HadrianVIJust a quick question: Are we also allowed to use HW Style?:)
    Yes. All styles supplied with a default install of CC3+ without any add-ons are fair game for the continents.
    Posted By: JimPI was wondering, are we going to announce this atlas anywhere ?
    Feel free to announce it wherever you think there are CC3 users that would appreciate it. Due to the map format, it is quite CC3(+) specific though, so I doubt it will have much general interest.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Maybe make it a feature on the main webpage - complete with revolving globe map?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited February 2017
    It would be down to Ralf's say-so though ;)
  • edited February 2017
    Sounds good. It would be nice if it was at least pinned in the forum. I have "ProFantasy's Community Atlas Project" boards on both my Deviant Art profile and Pinterest page with my part of the work. I also included links on each piece for both Profantasy and Monsen's Community Atlas Project website. I have also advertised it on my personal and professional Facebook pages. I have not put it on Twitter yet, but have it on my LinkedIn profile. Once I am done with my maps, I will put it up with the links on the Cartographer's Guild site as well as their Deviant Art community page. I also have a Google+ profile as well, but have not done much with it. I could develop it some as well to help promote both the project and Profantasy. Maybe Ralf can blog it and put it on the company's Facebook.
  • PS:. I am still looking for a world name to submit. Ha, ha!
  • I found a name I like. It is from Babylonian Mythology. The base word is Nibiru, but it has several variations. I picked Nibirum as my name submission. It is also known as the Marduk's Star and it is believed to be the planet Jupiter.

Also from Babylonian Mythology: "The one who crosses the middle of the sea (Tiamat) without calm, may his name be Nibirum, for he takes up the center of it."

I think that this would be a good name for our world since Nibirum would be the center of our mapping efforts and represents a fantasy world full of dragons.
  • @Monsen " Feel free to announce it wherever you think there are CC3 users that would appreciate it. Due to the map format, it is quite CC3(+) specific though, so I doubt it will have much general interest. " end quote.

Only the fcw files ? I think having pngs would be good to. Of course, that would take up lots of room.
    The png's are available online for individual download, but I don't want to bundle them with the atlas package. Most of the hi-res images are in the 60MB size range, which quickly gets HUGE. Besides, it is the .fcw's that contain all the functionality and interactivity.
  • I was trying to come up with a way to interest those who don't have a copy of the software.

Oh, as long as the map pngs are there, I can mention that for those who don't have the software.
  • I like Charles' suggestion of Nibirum from the ancient Akkadian nibiru (or neberu, nebaru, neperu), as it has three main meanings - 1) a ferry, a ford or a crossing-place (usually, but not exclusively, of water); 2) a ferryboat or the verb to ferry; and 3) as Charles mentioned, it's one of the names for the planet Jupiter, found in lists, omen-lore and mythological literature. It also features in the Babylonian astronomical texts as the name of a variable, often ill-defined, "crossing-place" in different parts of the sky (such as the equinox point, where the celestial equator and ecliptic meet). This Wikipedia page on Nibiru has some further information and some useful links for anyone interested in learning more.

Don't be fooled into thinking Tiamat was thought of as a dragon in ancient Mesopotamian myths, however, as there is no evidence to support this (D&D notwithstanding!). She was though the mother of a host of monsters which did include draconic creatures.
  • I have posted to here: Dragon's Foot General discussion forums.

Please check it for mistakes.
    Looks good to me. I think the most important thing to stress if anyone is marketing this is that it is just starting up, so people may want to follow along as it develops. Otherwise, it is easy to take a look at it and just be 'meh, not much to see here' and forget about it.
    I think this collection of maps (once we get some handfuls) can really show off the diversity and appeal of CC3+.
  • Okay, I added that in, that its an ongoing project and they should check at regular intervals. I'm taking a bit of a break from fantasy maps, and working on my Traveller site.
  • Question: I did not see a link on the Community Atlas Project page to bring viewers to the ProFantasy website nor Forum. Will there be backlinks placed on the landing page? Or, are they already there and I just missed them?

There is the 'Mapped with CC3' button on every page that leads to the ProFantasy website. But I can add a link to the forum too. I just figured most visitors would be comming from here, and not the other way around.
    Should I add a page to the atlas site listing all the mappers and provide links to their website, image gallery, shop (Or whatever they want, as long as it is related to their mapping activities)? Just to give the mappers that want it more exposure.

Also, remember you can still submit suggestions for world names (see my post about this somewhere above)
  • My web site would be okay. And I agree a link to here would be good to.
    I have now created a poll where we can vote for the name of the world. I'll leave the voting up for a week. Note that the polls aren't editable, so this also means we are closed for new suggestions.

This time, I have enabled the option to select multiple entries.

Most of these names are explained in posts earlier in this thread. Please refer to those for the meaning behind the various names.
  • I haven't visited as much as I should for a few days, and suddenly, we have a mapped world (well, almost)! I didn't want to clutter the sticky Community Atlas thread with comments, so this seemed the most appropriate place for a general WELL DONE to all involved.

I don't know how much has changed in the recent Project website update Monsen mentioned today (3 March 2017), but I have to say I was impressed. Having a "last updated" note is very helpful there, I think, though it may be we'll need more information as to WHICH map(s) was (were) updated and when, as time goes on too (maybe an "Updated" map list on the homepage, with a date for each?).

Certainly, I found no issues when looking over the site, checking the PDFs or downloading and viewing any of the FCWs today, so it all seems very good to me!

One thing that did occur to me might be to add the font names for the titles and labels in the PDF "Map Notes" files, in case people would like to use the same ones elsewhere (and might need to find and download a copy first, if they don't have them; like the title font for Shessar's Alarius, for instance).
    edited March 2017
    Posted By: WyvernI didn't want to clutter the sticky Community Atlas thread with comments
    Don't be afraid to comment in the sticky, it is just stickied so it would be easy to find.
    Posted By: WyvernI don't know how much has changed in the recent Project website update Monsen mentioned today (3 March 2017), but I have to say I was impressed. Having a "last updated" note is very helpful there, I think, though it may be we'll need more information as to WHICH map(s) was (were) updated and when, as time goes on too (maybe an "Updated" map list on the homepage, with a date for each?).
    Done, now there is a page showing the last update date for each map so you can easily see what is new.
    Posted By: MonsenOne thing that did occur to me might be to add the font names for the titles and labels in the PDF "Map Notes" files
    I guess we could, but I am trying to minimize the administrative overhead. Anyone can always use list on a text entry to see what font it is (or is supposed to be if they don't have it)
  • I noticed I misspelled some words in the map notes for the Forlorn Archipelago.

This:

Basher and Fisher, on fiher Island, are rivals on the nearby fishing grounds

Should be:

Basher and Fisher, on Fisher Island, are rivals on the nearby fishing grounds

Thanks !