Community project suggestion - Interactive Atlas

12346»

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoopysueHow are you planning to divide the continents if there are more mappers than available continents, or a couple of the continents are much larger than the smaller ones?
    My suggestion is that we don't. There is more than enough maps to me made during the lifetime of this project, so there is enough work for everyone, even if they don't start with a continental map.
    Posted By: ShessarWe can go with the submitted version or this one. Thoughts?
    I'll say we go with the updated version. It is still the same world, with a few tweaks, I don't see the harm in that. If anyone feels differently, feel free to bring it up, and we can discuss the matter.
  • edited February 2017
    Posted By: Monsen- When mapping the continents, we use the FT map as a guideline. The coastlines will be pretty strict obviously, but ideally, larger features like mountains and lakes should also be represented similarily. Of course, with CC3+'s symbol based maps, mountain ranges won't look the same as they do in a FT map anyway, so there is plenty of room for interpretation and visual improvisation.
    I agree with all points. In the case of continental details, I purposely did not include any rivers or lakes, feeling that these were best left up to the mapper. The beauty of this project is that each person that contributes will add their own style and imagination to the map.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Newest version looks better.
  • I've been thinking, uh oh !, what about player maps ?

Say, B&W maps for players ? With gaps in the areas shown in detail ? Most starting characters don't have much money... so they likely couldn't afford color maps.

Would a B&W continent map work with known areas like 'mountain range, Dukedom, Duchy, The Great Ocean', etc. marked, with large blanks outside those known areas ?

Or even B&W district map near starting towns showing details, and then large areas with a forest named or a mountain range named 'just down the road' ?
  • Awesome! I really like the updated map with the added islands Shessar. ?

Let me know Monsen when we can start and which area I have. Again, how do I know how big the landmasses are and what symbol scale are we going with? I don't want my mountains to be twice as big or half the size of everyone else's - ?
    Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonAgain, how do I know how big the landmasses are and what symbol scale are we going with?
    I think symbol scale is best left up in the hand of the mapper. Some differences doesn't really matter. I think we'll probably need to set a ground rule that most features should be generally legible from a 'Zoom Extents view'. That will keep people on the same page, both with regards to symbol scale, and what details should be included, and what should be left for more detailed maps, without enforcing strict rules.
    Posted By: JimPI've been thinking, uh oh !, what about player maps ?
    Sounds like a nice idea. If people want to make a player version from an existing area once it has been properly mapped, I guess we can included that version in the atlas too.
  • Hello Monsen,

Even if I agree that symbol size should not really matter, I think it would be nice to get a scale of the world anyway. It would be quite awkward to map the Eternal Empire of the Ravenous Swarm, and find out later that it's not larger than the Vatican city...
    Posted By: GatharI think it would be nice to get a scale of the world anyway.
    Don't worry. The map size will be available. You'll know exactly how big an area you are mapping. The world itself has a circumference of 25000 miles, so roughly earth-sized.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: GatharI think it would be nice to get a scale of the world anyway.
    Don't worry. The map size will be available. You'll know exactly how big an area you are mapping. The world itself has a circumference of 25000 miles, so roughly earth-sized.
    Cool! :-)
  • First, congratulations Shessar, and I certainly the second version is better.
    Second, I am pleased that the community has taken up the idea fist floated by me. It is great when an idea flourishes like it has
    Third, I love the big island on the NE - if noone wants it, can I have first dibs? (on knees, begging)
    Actually how are we going to decide who gets what? And do we do the continent maps in the one style - I think Mike Schley's was mentioned because everyone would have it
    Can't wait to get started - don't keep us in suspense too long.
    Posted By: QuentenThird, I love the big island on the NE - if noone wants it, can I have first dibs? (on knees, begging)
    Actually how are we going to decide who gets what? And do we do the continent maps in the one style - I think Mike Schley's was mentioned because everyone would have it
    I'm planning on posting a call for mappers thread either later today or tomorrow, just need some time to write it up, and prepare some server setup. I was planning on assiging continents to mappers on a first-come, first serve basis. I'll just keep a master list to avoid duplication of work, people can then request a certain area from me, and if noone is working on it, I'll let them have it.
    Since all these are separate continents, I don't really think everyone needs to be in Mike Schley style, I think it is good enough as long as it is a core CC3+ style, so that everyone will have access to it without any add-ons or annuals. We'll do the main world map in Mike Schley, but I'll hold that back until the first level of maps below is done to both give people flexibility, and to aboid everyone having to wait on a world map.
    I am sure, as the provider of the second-most popular map, nobody will complain if you get that island. There should be enough areas to choose from.
  • Thanks Monsen. Consider that as my bid. I will be away for the next 3 days, so can you put my name on that island (right to the NE)