Community project suggestion - Interactive Atlas

Comments

• edited February 2017
    How does it take away the ability to tweak it at a regional level? Whether you use bitmap fill or mountain range symbols, the effect is the same. It simply shows where the mountains are. The difference is that the mountain range symbols look much better than the mountain fill symbols. And even though this is a map from a far away view and not much would be seen, I feel what IS seen needs to look as good as we can get it to. After all, people from all over the world are going to be coming here to look at it, download it, use it. It will be the first map they see. We don't want to represent ourselves as having settled on a bitmap fill when a little bit of time and dedication will get us a better looking overall map. There is no time limit on this so actually taking the time to put better mountains in should be something we do.

On another note, I don't know how to use Fractal Terrains at all so I just went in and created this one at 8000 miles...Not sure if I used the right scale there, but I'm sure since we are just using outlines that we can just scale it up. But here is one from me. I haven't converted it to anything yet. I just left it as is. If I knew how to tweak it I would have made the tops and bottoms not so squished and rounded them out a bit more. And I would have also tweaked the middle a bit where that giant arm is coming down. I would have rounded that a bit so it is not really square.
  • I see your point. I will start on that tomorrow, and also detail the arid/semi-arid region (aka desert) better. Also add a few 'South Pacific' islands.
    What should I do with the light sea fill - use it as a continental shelf, or just hug the coast? I prefer the latter, in which case, that also goes on the to do list.
    And I definitely will alter one of those pesky lakes, - perhaps removing the lake altogether and making the rivers all tributaries.
  • Honestly, I don't think you should do anything more until we vote on which FT map we are going to use.
  • Well, I'll keep on with it, but not post any more till we have more entries. I don't see why we need to start with FT actually, and I think all CC3 maps showing landforms can be entered. Mine is near the beginning of the thread.
    I think 8000 miles wide is too small - Earth has a much bigger circumference than that.
  • I agree with Tonnichiwa. This is the map that will make people want to explore it and use it. It is coming along, but needs more variation in shading. The deserts are a good start. I don't like the fill and would prefer mountain symbols. The other option is to try changing the scale of the fill so that the repeating isn't so obvious, or try a fill from one of the other styles that come with CC3+. I know we talked about using the Schley style for this, but when something isn't quite working it is OK to use something else instead. The Schley style isn't exactly the best for a world scale map.

Also, on the rivers running into lakes... The human brain tends to see recognizable things in random shapes, i.e. seeing animal shapes in the clouds. The small round lake with six rivers that is in the center of the largest continent needs to be bigger/more irregular. Sorry, but because of its location and shape, it keeps drawing my eyes like a bullseye and my brain keeps identifying it as a Daddy Long Legs. Every time I try to examine other parts of the map my focus keeps coming back to that one lake. There is something just not right with it. It needs to be fixed or removed. Just my opinion. :)
  • edited February 2017
    Yeah, earth is somewhere around 24,000 to 27,000. I forget which. But I don't know how to use the program and just typed in the 8000 I saw on here. lol...me being too lazy to go spend a few hours and learn. But that's because it is 6 am and I've not slept in over 24 hours.

Remember, Remy said he wanted FT maps because he can make a globe out of it like in the Forgotten Realms Atlas. He can't do that with regular CC3+ Maps.
  • I agree with Tonnichiwa on the mountains. It would be real hard to back fill these since you could end up with gaps. Is it feasible to break it up among the group with each of us taking a particular mountain range? I have never done a collaborative map before, so I am unsure about the best course of action. Thanks. ?
  • I like the way you think, Charles, but at this stage, I'll plod on till we have a vote. As I said before, I can use this map fr myself anyway, so the work I put into it will not be wasted. But it seems that others do not want me to continue, or at least post. So I will no longer post my workings, but I certainly will continue - sorry tonnichiwa, you really don't have a say in what I choose to do with my own map, until it becomes a community project. I appreciate comments, but not ones which tell me to stop.
    I agree with all that Shessar said, but I think I will not go further with this (including acting on all the suggestions), unless other on this thread want me too. Stll have not heard from Sue as to whether she is going to submit a map or not.
    Monsen, the FT is 54MB - do you want me to email it or what?
  • They use a program on the Cartographer's Guild called Leaflet to put all of the disparate pieces together to create their map. unfortunately I don't think CC3+ can do it quite like that. So in this case, in order to break it up, I think we would have to have one person work on it at a time because if we all download the exact same FCW, when they are returned, they don't all merge back into one FCW as far as I know.

So we would have to have one person work on one mountain range, then upload the FCW to the Interactive Atlas. Once that is done, the next person scheduled to work on a mountain range would have to download that exact same FCW and work on it, then upload it back into the Interactive Atlas. This way we could ensure that everyone who is making the mountain ranges on the world map is using the actual real FCW with the newly made mountains.

Other than that, I don't see how it is possible to have multiple people split the work.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: QuentenI don't see why we need to start with FT actually, and I think all CC3 maps showing landforms can be entered.
    While I agree that perhaps opening it up to all CC3+ world maps, and not just FT based ones will allow more people to contribute the world map, we do loose out on some of the FT 3 benefits, like those I mentioned a few posts up, as well as if we distribute it with the atlas, it will also allow any gamemaster (or whatever) to zoom in and export his own region from the more detailed FT coastline than having to grab it from a high-level map such as the world map. We cannot map every corner of the world, so being able to extract a section of the original map from FT for mapping purposes would be a great addition. But maybe it isn't really required?

As for submitting world maps to this, my biggest concern is that we can only have one, so I don't really want too many people spending too much effort on it, because it will mostly be wasted unless they can re-purpose that map for something else. In my view, it is more important to get a world we all think is reasonably good, than a lot of people spending too much effort so we can pick the best one,I'd rather people spend their effort on the various maps needed once we have a world map. Which is why I asked if we should just go with Quenten's map above. Not because he has already put effort into it, but rather because, in my view, the design of the landmasses had most of the things I was looking for in a world map, so unless others wanted to compete, there was no need to spend the time and effort.
    This is also part of why I wanted FT maps for voting, in addition to the points I have outlined earlier, it puts everyone on the same page. In FT, you can just two strategies, either find a map your like reasonably well and then do some editing, or if you don't know enough about editing in FT, you can just generate new random maps until you find something you really like.
    edited February 2017
    Posted By: TonnichiwaThey use a program on the Cartographer's Guild called Leaflet to put all of the disparate pieces together to create their map. unfortunately I don't think CC3+ can do it quite like that. So in this case, in order to break it up, I think we would have to have one person work on it at a time because if we all download the exact same FCW, when they are returned, they don't all merge back into one FCW as far as I know.
    I'm not planning on merging anything back together at all. This atlas will use hyperlinks, same as the FR Atlas to navigate between various map levels. You click on a continent on the world map, that brings you to the detail map for the continent you clicked on. Clicking on a region in the continental map will take you to the detail map of that region, clicking on a city will take you to the city map, and so on (obviously, only places that have detail maps will be linked)
    That way, everyone can work on whatever they want, without having to wait for anyone, and once we have some of the basic maps in place required for the framework, it is completely up to every mapper if they want to contribute overland, city, dungeon or floorplan maps. They just pick a place of interest on an existing map, and tells me that they want to make a detail map of that place. In short, two people will never work on the same .fcw, the map you create is your own, and only you will work on it
    Posted By: QuentenMonsen, the FT is 54MB - do you want me to email it or what?
    I am using gmail, which has an attachment size limit of 25Mb. If you can't reduce it by zipping it, do you have a cloud service or site you can upload it to? If not, I can set up a shared folder on one of mine.
  • @Monsen: I know you weren't gonna do that Remy, it was just an explanation to tell Charles why its not feasible to break up the map to have many people work on it all at once.

@Quenten: You don't have to get upset at me for trying to save you from wasting your time. You presented that map as the one for the Interactive Atlas, not as one for your personal use. I wasn't telling you to stop working on the map simply because I was trying to be malicious. I was telling you that because I wasn't sure if your map was going to be the one that won the vote. And if it didn't win the vote, then all of that hard work you put into it would have been for nothing if you didn't plan on using the map for your personal use (which, by the way, I didn't know you planned on doing as you presented it differently).
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I'm really sorry, guys. I just haven't got the time to generate an entire world map at the level of detail that seems to be required. I was ok with doing a coastline and a few lines to indicate mountain ranges, but don't wait on me.

Carry on with what you've got/will get from others :)
    Posted By: LoopysueI was ok with doing a coastline and a few lines to indicate mountain ranges, but don't wait on me.
    Well, what I actually requested was just a FT map, so in theory, you don't need to draw even lines for mountains. I feel it is a bit of a separate discussion if we keep mountain ranges and such as generated by FT (Using them as a loose guideline anyway), or just use the coastline. But in no way do I expect anyone to submit a complete world map as Quenten is doing. If we choose his map, we will be using his work for the overland map as well, as even if he started a bit prematurely, there is no sense in throwing away good work if it can be used, but if we choose someone elses map, we can appoint anyone to make the world map, not necessarily the provider of the FT map. At this point, we are looking for the best landmasses, not the best complete map.
    Thanks Remy :)

Its a simple case of really bad timing, I'm afraid. I'm up to my neck in doing a lot of the background administration stuff on Guild City, and I'm also supporting and encouraging all the other participants, not to mention having just taken on a massive new section of that city to map myself - and you know how these things go. I might have been the accidental spark that set the Guild City project on fire, but now I'm kind of one of the buildings at the centre of it all, so I can't really stop or dilute the time I'm spending on it right now.

Sad I know - since I won't be able to take part in this project now that I already have a pretty large commitment to that one, but at least a significant portion of the first ever Guild City will have been proudly made with Profantasy software - and if I happen to come across any reasonable FT worlds in the raw before you start voting, then I'll send them to you ;)
    Posted By: LoopysueSad I know - since I won't be able to take part in this project now that I already have a pretty large commitment to that one
    Well, as I mentioned before, this is a long-running project. It will basically NEVER be finished, so feel free to contribute at a later time when you have the spare time, or when you just want to make a different map from what you are working on.
    Thanks Remy - will do :)
  • It looks like we are using Quentin's FT then. That is fine with me. I do love the overall look of it. He has done some wonderful work. ?
    edited February 2017
    Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsont looks like we are using Quentin's FT then.
    Remember that Tonnichiwa also did supply a world. We'll have a vote before deciding which one to use.
  • It's ok guys, just go ahead and use Quentens map. It's all good
  • edited February 2017
    It looks like we have our world FT map.
    Here is a proposal for the next phase:
    1. Break out areas for volunteers to work on.
    2. Determine symbol scale for various elements such as mountains, major rivers, and biome (forested areas, tundra, deserts, plains, etc.). So that everyone is on the same page.
    3. No cultures yet or other detail work.
    4. Once we are done, Quentin then uses these as templates for finishing off a nice world map.
    5. Then we can add to the originals to create the second layer maps.

What does everyone think?
    Suggestions anyone?
    Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonIt looks like we have our world FT map.
    Actually, no. I just got a couple of worlds submitted by email. I'll look at them, and post them here, and prepare a vote.
  • Cool!

I can hardly wait to see them. ?
  • edited February 2017
    Wow! That was cool. Some felt like 3D and I loved the spinning globes.

My vote is still for Quentin's though.

Thanks Monson! ?
    I just received another. not on the list yet, but I will add it

I'm still waiting for Quenten's one too. His file is a bit big (see above), but I figure we'll get it transferred one way or another tomorrow.

@Tonnichiwa: Since there will be a vote, I can still add your to the mix too if you want, just send med the ftw file.

@Anyone else: Don't hesitate to join in.
    You poor thing, Remy. It must be nearly 2.30 am over there!

Splendid job on the display. Can't really say which one is my favourite till I see them all together though, so I'll wait till you've got them all up there on the same board before I make a decision.
  • Ok, thank you Remy, though I will probably have to come up with a different one as I made this one too small and then lost power. We've been having high winds for three days now so power and internet keep cutting out. I'll try to get it to you soon.
    Posted By: LoopysueYou poor thing, Remy. It must be nearly 2.30 am over there!
    I'm only an hour ahead of you. It's 0:40 now. But it is Friday night, so no early up tomorrow, and I am really a night person. I feel I deserve a "poor thing" more when I have to get up at 08:00 in the morning :)