Merelan City

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Its no good. I'm going to have to get rid of it now, or I'll just crease up every time I catch sight of it! LOL

Thanks Ed :)
  • You're welcome, Sue! :) LOL

LLAP

Nacon4
    edited September 2016
    @Jim:

Hmmmn - ah. Well, that must be one of those mutant-ninja-dead-ant-cherub angels, then - the special ones with super ant powers ;)

I think the problem is that although its a brilliantly rendered figurine from Bogie's Mapping Objects collection, its very out of context - not in a quaint Victorian-English garden among classical pools, fountains and formal borders, or set in geometric regimental rows of brightly coloured annuals. I put it there hoping to represent the angels of Rusaar's Host - the winged men who turn out to be none other than...

Well... that would be telling one of the greatest ironies of the tale ;)

@Ed:

Sorry! I was laughing so much last night that I forgot to answer your other question (couldn't see for the tears in fact). There's a large pyre pit at the top of the picture where up to fifty can be cremated at the same time (the island has a periodic plague problem). This reflects the changes in the death rites brought to the island by the Blucrans, who detest the 'filthy' idea of being buried, and believe the soul can only be released by the cleansing flames.

Those strange little grassy hills are the burial mounds of the early Merlish kings - so yes, they're barrows, or tumuli, but most were plundered long ago, when the Blucrans first arrived, and the names of those kings are largely forgotten.

There is another barrow set a long way from the rest, down south near the windmills of Morran. This is the burial mound of the last of the Merlish kings - the mound of King Marin Blakevic, who surrendered himself to humiliation and slavery at the hands of the invading Blucran king, Codari the Conqueror, in return for the freeing of his people. His barrow is a special and sacred place to the Merles, and is said to be the magical source of the flowering vines known as 'pace flowers', which appeared for the first time in the vicinity of the tomb shortly after Blakevic was interred.
  • Thank you, Sue! Wow, that is just fantastic! I'm looking forward to reading your novel! It sounds *very* interesting. Is this just one novel, or a few?

LLAP

Nacon4
    Ummm... Depending on what mood I'm in its either 4 (feeling negative about things), or 5 (in a really good positive mood fit to believe that the fifth is a viable option) ;)

They go around in a huge circle, so although the period covered is some 2 million years over the whole series, and each book has its own collection of characters, they are linked by immortal and semi-immortal characters, and at least 3 instances of time travel.
  • O_O! Wow! You don't do things by halves, do you, Sue?

LLAP

Nacon4
    edited September 2016
    Well.... where would be the fun in that? ;)

EDIT: (the fun in doing only half a thing I mean) ;)
    edited September 2016
    Actually, you caught me in a pretty lively mood earlier on. I just looked back and noticed how I went and very nearly gave the game away on one of the main sub-plots!!!

So I guess there are currently 5 books in the series. LOL!
  • Maybe more in the offing. Depending on the crowd reaction, eh?

LLAP

Nacon4
    LOL!

I think if there are going to be more than 5 I might have to pass the buck and leave the writing to someone else.
  • Love the new trees. I think your taming the sponged on and white space issues very well.

I'm glad you came back to it. I'm getting addicted to checking progress every day. I went back and re read the original work from the start!

Bill
  • Posted By: LoopysueLOL!

I think if there are going to be more than 5 I might have to pass the buck and leave the writing to someone else.
    Well Conan Doyle killed Sherlock Holmes; and Issac Asimov tried to end the Foundation series after five stories. But the fans had other ideas! You might even collaborate with other writers! Wait and see what happens! :) LOL

LLAP

Nacon4
    Posted By: BillLove the new trees. I think your taming the sponged on and white space issues very well.

I'm glad you came back to it. I'm getting addicted to checking progress every day. I went back and re read the original work from the start!

Bill
    Thanks, Bill :)

Technically, I haven't actually come back to it. I just got interrupted while I was in the middle of ironing out a particularly difficult tangle in chapter 15. I was stuck... again... and sitting staring out of my window at the maple in the common garden when I had one of those sudden ideas you sometimes get ;)

I expect progress will continue to be a little jerky for a while! Sorry!
    Posted By: Nacon4Well Conan Doyle killed Sherlock Holmes; and Issac Asimov tried to end the Foundation series after five stories. But the fans had other ideas! You might even collaborate with other writers! Wait and see what happens! :) LOL
    Hmmmn.

I guess, but no one even knows if the story I want to tell is worth the telling, so all of that is rather a long way down the road just yet ;)
  • Posted By: Loopysue
    Posted By: Nacon4Well Conan Doyle killed Sherlock Holmes; and Issac Asimov tried to end the Foundation series after five stories. But the fans had other ideas! You might even collaborate with other writers! Wait and see what happens! :) LOL
    Hmmmn.

I guess, but no one even knows if the story I want to tell is worth the telling, so all of that is rather a long way down the road just yet ;)
    A story put together with that much heart, and mind for detail is one I will definitely want to read! I suspect others will too. No one wants a case of the big head; just don't short yourself when the time comes! :)

LLAP

Nacon4
    edited September 2016
    Since my punctuation isn't actually as good as yours, I notice, and my personal 'take' on how to write in 'proper' UK English is now at least 35-40 years out of date as far as being 'cool' goes, I expect it will need to be completely re-worded by someone a third of my age before I publish it anyway.

(That job, by the way, has already been bagged and promised ;) )

EDIT: I have to go for my new daily walk now - as per GP recommendations, so I may be a little while coming back to you as I complete my speed-walk lap of the village.
  • Enjoy your walk and post more of your work, ok? Us tyros need masters to help teach us! :)

LLAP

Nacon4
    Thanks Ed - I did :)

I'm no master. I've only been a CC3 cartographer for not quite 6 months now, so really I'm quite a tyro myself ;) The real experts are, however, all around you right here on this forum in reasonably large numbers. Some of them have been using CC3 and its forerunners for a decade or more, and some of them code the software itself ;)
    I've got myself into a vicious tree loop. I can't seem to stop fiddling with these trees!

This is a comparison test between the last most recent set of trees, and a new set I'm developing without so much shadow within the symbol itself (following a comment on Cartographer's Guild about the contrast being a little high). Type A on the left, and the Type B (the new type) on the right...

I'll try to make this the last tree test, as I'm sure this must be getting more than just a little bit tedious for you ;)
  • Posted By: LoopysueI've got myself into a vicious tree loop. I can't seem to stop fiddling with these trees!

This is a comparison test between the last most recent set of trees, and a new set I'm developing without so much shadow within the symbol itself (following a comment on Cartographer's Guild about the contrast being a little high). Type A on the left, and the Type B (the new type) on the right...

I'll try to make this the last tree test, as I'm sure this must be getting more than just a little bit tedious for you ;)
    If you held a gun to my head, I'd have to say the Type B trees look more realistic; but I'd swear that you could use both depending on where you want them on the map.

LLAP

Nacon4
    This is as I thought, but couldn't be sure.

Thanks Ed :)
  • I vote B. The A group looks as if the wind is blowing directly down causing all the leaves to go on edge at various angles from the center out. Group B softens this effect up nicely.

Really good work either way!

Bill
    Thanks Bill :)

That is really a very good description of what was wrong with Group A, even though I couldn't put my own finger on it! LOL

Group B it is, then ;)
    edited September 2016
    By the way...

I used a word in an earlier post that had the meaning of feeling lively and jumpy when I was a young-un (many years BC), but which turns out to have been re-defined in the urban dictionary as something lewd and completely NOT what I meant!!!

Sorry about any offence caused. I have edited it out of my post, and continue to blush most horribly!!!

EDIT: This is what I mean when I say that my English is 35-40 years out of date, and why its a good idea that I have the young and rather more street-wise test reader that I do! LOL
  • Well, we have had problems with the urban dictionary on another forum. Its not meant to be accurate. So I ignore that site.
    I can't believe the number of words you simply cannot use any more! I still remember it being perfectly all right to say that something was rather queer (meaning strange), or that I was feeling gay (meaning excitable and happy). LOL!!!
  • That's funny Sue, especially because my husband (who has a government contract job) just used the word queer last week during a presentation and almost received a formal reprimand. The person reporting him didn't know the word's original definition. Husband avoided the reprimand by pulling a real dictionary off of the shelf and proving his context. This is a true story.

This shows just how much a living, evolving thing that language is. I just wish it didn't evolve right in front of my face. Heh!

Oh, and on topic...ALL of your trees are amazing! Your entire map continues to leave me in awe! However, I am going to go against the flow and say that I like the A trees better in this map. The B trees look more like they were dobbed on with oil paints and do not match the crispness of the other textures in the map. Just my opinion...for what it's worth. :)
    Thanks Shessar :)

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only English speaker who has this vocabulary problem, and tell your hubby from me that I would have understood him perfectly without even batting an eye - wouldn't even have noticed there was anything wrong :)

I'm glad you like the trees, even though you are going against the grain by choosing Type A. I've completed that set now, and I'm working on Type B (among other jobs). I have yet to decide which to use with the city map, and may even do a sort of hybrid style - Type C.

Don't know yet, but thanks for the input :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    OT: It's perfectly acceptable to use the words "queer" to mean odd and "gay" to mean "lively," especially when it's clear from the context that those are, indeed, the meanings. It's a little dated but it's not rude, thoughtless, or wrong. It becomes a little more awkward when applying those words to people, or actions taken by people (e.g., "they were acting queer" or "they sure look gay"), so that should probably be avoided but, even then, it's not actually out of line. Obviously, you want to take your audience into account when speaking or writing but, frankly, the occasional use of those words is fine. Any shame belongs to people who interpret the meanings differently, especially if the context is clear.

Remember, we currently live in a world where "hot" and "cool" can be used interchangeably depending on the context, where "dope" can mean "great" or "cool," and where "literally" often means "figuratively," among other English denotative and connotative upheavals (or, tragedies, such as with "literally").
  • Okay, I'm going to really bake your noodle here on the great tree debate. I like both type A and type B! I like the wind swept feel of type A, and in some places they would be more natural.

I also like the softness and the colors of type B... they would be more suited inside the city proper, sheltered from the wind.

So how's that for confusing the issue :D!

As for the language debate... I get caught up in the issues all the time. I tend to use proper English, more than most... and I'm known for saying something or someone is 'queer and peculiar' when they are acting strange.