Ethran: Merelan City

15678911»

Comments

• No, not at all.

I am just a bit surprised that someone with your obvious talents has such a difficult time dealing with this non-issue.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The difficult time I was having, was that a friend of mine attacked me without any warning. The loss of the symbols is absolutely nothing to me in comparison with that.
    Here is some wood I made earlier. The frame repair is now complete:
  • I'm just a bystander here, and perhaps am not privy to some behind the scene info, but in case this is in reference to what I have read...

Imagine the difficult position the friend was put in, when he realized that he was put in an extremely awkward position and had to do an unpleasant task that he was obligated to do.

Great admirer of your work btw.
  • Ooohhh the new wood is really nice!! looks on enviously as we see the future of The LoopySue Collection - or TLSC - being created before our eyes
    Now steady on Lorelei LOL. Its ONE texture. Mind you - it was a joy to create a piece of wood that doesn't come in planks ;)

I only have the trial version of Genetica right now, but I am obviously going to have to buy it at the end of the thirty days!

Come to think of it... why do wood textures normally come in various shapes and sizes of plank?
  • Given the talent and care you've shown with your maps, I'm sure your new symbols will be superb. :)
  • One texture? Puhlease....one texture will turn into 10 in no time. And....next comes your buildings, which of course compliment your windmills, and JO's boats. Will you be drawing your own trees? That i cannot wait to see. And....just to get ahead of the line, i am available for beta testing when the time comes ;)
    My goodness! I don't even know if the personal use licence (the only one I can just about afford) will suffice.

I'm using CD3 buildings to replace the wooden Blucran part of the settlement, but yes, I'm drawing the trees, and they at least, being the product of Blender which is freeware/shareware, will be made available in some form or other ;) but wait! you haven't seen what they look like yet. For all you know its my Achilles heel. I might create the most dreadful trees ever seen since the dawn of time, and then you'll be sorry!!! LOL
  • Well, that would be perfect! my current campaign is titled The Mad Blight - the goddess of disease and poison has infected the forests. druids and dryads guarding them with this blight of madness....dreadful trees would suit me just fine!
    Oh trust you Lorelei LOL!

So the more twisted and bent the better?
    I'm yaaaawning my head off. Its been a day of big decisions. I have to go to bed now... byeeee :)
  • I am sure that it will be even better than before.

I am looking forward to seeing your unique symbols.

:-)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2016
    I'm glad to see you continuing your map. I'm sorry to see you've chosen to stop using the CSUAC, though. You clearly liked it, but I realize you've got to do what you feel comfortable with. If you're going to be replacing symbols, you may want to read up about the Symbol Manager (Symbols>Symbol Manager from the menu). It may be very useful to you as you make your edits.

You can find information in the CC3+ User Manual, pp. 80-83, the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, pp. 75-80, and the Help topic, accessed via the Help button on the Symbol Manager dialog box itself.

Of course, the Symbol Manager helps to manage symbols, so you'd want to add any custom items you make or import to a custom symbol catalog, and then add them to your map from there. It sounds daunting but, as I recently discovered myself, it's surprisingly easy to do, but city symbols (dangit) might take a little extra work so the shading works right.

You can find info on making symbols and symbol catalogs in the CC3+ User Manual, pp. 75-80, and in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, pp. 79-105, and an extra bit about city symbols on pp. 314-320.

Note: You can import PNG files from a folder on your computer via the Symbol Manager.

And, as always you'll want to save a copy of your map file before you start playing with any of the above stuff.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Thanks Dogtag :)

*sigh* I'm going off to read up, and I might be some time!!!
    Prototype tree with terrible branches a bit like disjointed spaghetti - LOL!!!
  • Coming along nicely, Sue. I really envy your talent......
    Thanks Lorelei :)

I'm not proud or vain, though. I do know it looks really quite bad at the moment, and that the only thing that can really be said in its favour is that the transparency is excellently clean, but of course you can't see that on a white background ;)

I thought it might be interesting the show the process from start to finish with just one of the 40 or so trees I need to make.

This is being done with an archaic version of CorelDraw, by the way, not Photoshop, though I seem to have a reasonably good selection of the same kind of manipulators and effects as the modern version of PS. Its amazing you know, the things you can learn about a piece of 15 year old software when you try to do something you haven't done before. The only pity of it is that Win 10 really doesn't agree with it, and though its possible to run the thing as an administrator, it crashes unexpectedly. I suppose I really am going to have to sort out how to do the same things with GIMP one of these days. I'm just not really looking forward to it - different interface - different effects, hidden in different menus etc.
  • Well, i have PS and it is completely wasted on me. Its a shame, really. I should take a class or something :)
    I don't know anything at all about PS. I expect that using it would be just as difficult for me, since I grew up with CorelDraw, which is older than PS. For a long time, CorelDraw was the thing to have. I think, from what I see of video's on U-tube the capabilities are virtually the same. Its just that they will have completely different user interfaces, so that if I were to open a copy of PS just to see what it was like to use, I would know exactly what I wanted to achieve through my experience of CorelDraw, but no idea whatsoever how to get there - not even what menu everything is hidden in, or how to get at the fine controls. So you and I would be in the same boat as far as being able to fly the thing goes ;)
  • On the contrary, I think that's an excellent start to your trees!!!
    Hi Storm :D

I've started a new thread to develop the symbols: "Drawing symbols for use in CC3". Draft 2 is a better tree altogether, even though it still leaves a lot to be desired ;)
    For anyone interested in the further development of Merelan City:

The city map has been put on ice, but will reappear in a new thread that will most likely be entitled "Ethran: Merelan City II" at some point in the future, when the time is right.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Sorry to hear it but .. good luck on your new crusade Sue!!