CC3 - system crash when saving under JPG, PNG, PDF, etc

2»

Comments

• is there a fix in the works or am I out the money I spent for the 3 programs I bought?
  • Profantasy has a good (great actually) history of helping people through technical problems. They also are really reasonable about, well just about everything, in customer support. If this is critical for you, rather than wait for someone to read this forum, you should send a note to technical support.

Steve
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2009
    Posted By: jnmjOk,

I've had that isssue before too. How do people build the Earth type sizes at 24,000 x something and then export them?

Maybe this is the dumbest question to ever his the forums, just have to ask again.

snip

JJ
    I just wanted to reply to the above.

Changing the scale could work. Instead of say making the map so large it scrolls off the screen, make it smaller.

I know the templates are to scale for overland maps; however, use it as twice that. So a 10,000 by 8,000 mile template is declared to be 20,000 x 16,000 mile template.

Make the map scale bar reflect the new scale size.

That is what I plan to do with my game world. I know visitors don't like clicking on my site nav and moving 180 miles east and west at a time. This will solve that.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Please note that the pixel size of your bitmap export has nothing to do whatsoever with the unit size of your map. You can export a 10x8 miles map to 8000x6000 pixel and vice versa.

There should really hardly ever be a need to export a map at larger than 8000x6000 pixel or so. I've exported battlemats for external printing (80cm x60cm) as 4000x3000 pixel jpgs - and they came out gorgeous. If you export for use on the computer and web only, anything above 3000px is really a waste of computing time. If you need small sections of a map at a great magnification, don't export the full map at huge size, instead use the "Rectangular section" option.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: webjunkieyes same issue here cant save BMP JPG or PNG
    I've found a way of doing this using PDF Creator, an open source print driver which exports in many formats. I got a 6600 px image from this.

1. In CC3 set Tools >> Options Resolution Divided by to 2.
    2. Print >> Set the printer to PDF Creator.
    3. Click Properties >> Advanced, set the resolution 1200dpi, and the paper size to letter.
    4. Print.
    5. When you see the PDF Creator dialog, click Options and choose PNG, set the resolution to 600 dpi.
    6. Click Save, pull down the file type to be PNG and and type a file name.

It might vary from drawing to drawing and system to system, but it's seems to give good high res results.
  • 1 month later
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    If anyone is concerned, I fixed my "save as rectangular" issues/crashing EVERY time by adding the .jpg to the file name, instead of assuming Windows Vista would do it. Until then I would try for hours until I eventually get lucky.
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    With much sadness I must mention that adding .jpg to the file name only increased my chances of success to 60/40, instead of crashing all the time. Still working it.
  • JoeyD473JoeyD473 Betatester 🖼️ 2 images Traveler
    That is why I do my PNG/BMP/JPG conversions on my XP machine, though it is annoying to have to transfer the files
  • 1 month later
  • Tired to export Rectangular JPEG 10000x8000 - failed instantly.
    turned effects ON exporting the normal option (i.e. not rectangular) and after half an hour i got a pic.

Unfortunately, my results may and probably are random - i.e. export might fail the second time i try it.
  • 9 days later
  • Posted By: Simon RogersI've found a way of doing this usingPDF Creator, an open source print driver which exports in many formats. I got a 6600 px image from this.

1. In CC3 set Tools >> Options Resolution Divided by to 2.
    2. Print >> Set the printer to PDF Creator.
    3. Click Properties >> Advanced, set the resolution 1200dpi, and the paper size to letter.
    4. Print.
    5. When you see the PDF Creator dialog, click Options and choose PNG, set the resolution to 600 dpi.
    6. Click Save, pull down the file type to be PNG and and type a file name.

It might vary from drawing to drawing and system to system, but it's seems to give good high res results.
    when I do this, the resulting documents are BLANK.

• when I do this, the resulting documents are BLANK.
    Same
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Just to make sure, you are printing "all visible sheets" and not just "common sheet only" when printing to PDFCreator, right? This is the most common reason for ending up with a blank printout in CC3, as usually, there is nothing on the common sheet. I have noticed that sometimes CC3 defaults to the wrong option.
  • Yeah, what Monsen says... at first I had several blank PDF's as well, but I wasn't printing all sheets :-)
  • It probably is All sheets - I can correct that.

As an FYI - printing at ANY resolution (even below a thousand) or any format causes a crash in Vista.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh... that sucks. The PDF Creator workaround never failed me and I exported huge cities at 12.000x12.000 pixels and other insane dimensions.
  • 16 days later
  • Using PDFCreator I can only print up to 1,200 DPI - 2,400 crashes the system before the PDFCreator even kicks in.

This is on a Blackbird Vista 64 rig with FOUR GIG of ram and an insane graphics card setup.
  • Well, in my latest overland map PDF Creator is also crashing for me at 1.200 DPI :-(
    I never had PDF Creator crash on me and I had some huge cities. Trying some workarounds now...
  • 6 days later
  • edited August 2009
    I've read this thread thoroughly and attempted to follow all the recommendations but I'm still having problems saving any map of any res to any output format from Vista 64-bit (CC3.24) for even noddy maps :O(

The favourite seems to be using PDFCreator - so this is the route I'm taking and have the latest version.

So in short I've:
    1. Clicked print to PDFCreator
    2. Set the props to "Letter" and 1200dpi
    3. "View to Print" = "Everything" or "Active Window"
    4. "Sheet" = "All visible as one page"
    5. "Scaling" = "Fit to Page"
    6. Click "Print" and get "Cancel Printing" dialog box/button (which I ignore whilst I wait)
    7. Set the PDF settings to .png/600dpi when PDFCreator wakes up

From here I get either:
    1. A complete CC3/PDFCreator hang
    2. The whole map of separate pdf pages (despite stating 1 page a couple of times above)
    3. Just the bottom left-hand corner (i.e. scale bar)

So generally,
    1. What am I doing wrong?
    2. What part does the "Tiling" option from the CC3 Print dialog have to play in this as its not mentioned in the help text (i.e. #Horiz, #Vert)?

Help!

Cheers
  • I don't have CC3 installed on this computer, so I can't look at all the options and see if you are doing anything wrong.
    Anyway, if you select "View to Print = Active window" make sure you are viewing the part of the map you want printed. Or if you want the whole map printed, zoom out enough so it can be seen entirely. Printing a map might make CC3 unresponsive for a few seconds, making it look as if the software died. It never hangs on me though, if it doesn't work it will throw me an error. Also on bigger maps, like the one I am now working on, it might take minutes to print and CC3 will be quite unresponsive (I can see a "Printing" dialog though).
    Not sure if "Fit to page" should be on...
  • "Fit to page" should force the selected area to one page.
    If you enter more than 1 in the #horiz and #vert it is normal that you have more than one page as the figures indicates the number of pages horizontaly and verticaly.
    For example if you put 5 in #horiz and 3 in #vert you'll get 5x3=15 pages.
    Did you use the "preview" button ?
  • 4 years later
  • I know this is really old, but I'm having this problem and I'm not even exporting a large file (I managed to get it work once and it was about 600 x 600). My computer has plenty of RAM (about 6 GB) but it's been doing random crashing when selecting symbols and exporting to any other type of file. (I'm running Windows 7, if that makes any difference).
  • How many symbols do you have on the 600x600 pixel map ?

Dense numbers of symbols can cause problems. several people here have been able to 'save as' in different formats to sizes much larger than that.

Note that CC3 uses only 2 gigs of ram, and doesn't use the video card.

Saturday nighht is kinda slow, but someone with more technical experince with CC3 may stop by. You can always log into your https://secure.profantasy.com/service/entrance.asp and put in a tech support request.