An arcology dungeon

Comments

• These iso ones also give me a headache... I'll very likely go back to the typical overhad view for the other levels. And thanks.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh no! Don't go and abandon it, Jim! I think these pieces of yours are pretty impressive, you know. The fact that I was only able to pick up one tiny little point (quite literally) means its excellent work. I really like it :)
  • I like making elaborate maps... and while the Iso annual is capable, I have to do things over and over too much.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    That style makes beautiful maps but the main problem is that it's entirely done with symbols. Symbols for the floors, walls, doors, everything.

Jim, I posted a sample glowing archway in your related thread. One thing I did that made it easier was create a FLOORS sheet (there wasn't one in the default template). It made things easier to select once I started placing stuff in the "room."

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Yeah, if there was a larger selection of Iso symbols, that would be great. Idea for an Annual issue or two.

I have to straighten out some map errors on my Traveller sector maps, and then I'll look at the file you created.

Having to do some cleanup and furniture re-arrangement around the house, I'll have more free time after that. Relatives coming.
  • 15 days later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2016
    Well, as part of this module there is a huge iso cave way down below. The Dundjinnni iso symbols are going to come in handy as this cave has houses, several towers, columns, buildings, mold gardens, etc. I'l sort of working on this map... but its painful having to move large numbers of floor/dungeon tiles so they fit together well. No maps to post yet...
  • A very preliminary map of this huge cave complex. Done in CC3+.
    Excellent start, Jim :)

Is there an alternative to that crissy-crossy fill. I sometimes have difficulty looking at large areas of it. (Too many floaters in my eyes - the fill starts moving on me!)
  • One of the problems i've noticed is the dragging of symbols, its not an isometric area in Perspectives. Its the overhead square or rectangle used for overhead maps. Makes it much harder to move/adjust symbols in Perspectives.
    edited August 2016
    Thats a regular stone bitmap fill. I don't like it and will look for a better one.

Here is more to the cave with a two towers from the Dundjinni iso symbols.

I could use more iso buildings. I'm using the wall and floor symbols to make up some of the buildings.

Different background fill.
    edited August 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueExcellent start, Jim :)

Is there an alternative to that crissy-crossy fill. I sometimes have difficulty looking at large areas of it. (Too many floaters in my eyes - the fill starts moving on me!)
    Mine do that to, but no floaters in my eyes.

edit:

fill change made and I probably need to make the lake larger.
    You lucky thing! I always seem to have a good dozen in both my eyes. I'm all right unless I start moving my eyes around too much!

Much nicer fill in the background now :D

It must take an awful long time to place all those tiles like that. Don't you have a snap facility in perspectives?
  • Yes, there is snap... but well I realize I have things too small like the lake, or I need to move a building. Easier to just delete the tiles than move them. If I just move them, I then have to go back and adjust them and bring to front, etc. Plus I'm doing this on a laptop.

So I've just increased the lake size, and deleted instead of moving the tiles.
    Snap (in the card playing sense) I work on a laptop as well :D

15 inch

I think I nearly gave someone a heart attack the other day when I owned up to that fact. LOL

I have, though, just purchased a nice new 27 inch screen with a gift token I forgot I had on Amazon. Delivery on Monday. I can't wait!!!
    edited August 2016
    I need to get some of the storage stuff out of my room, put a table in here, and start using my 39" tv. It has some faults in the lcd display, but they are in the lower left corner. Its great for mapping... and playing Everquest.

And here is the newest... had to delete, moving bad, reasons upthread.

Since the module is copyright, I always modify.
  • Update, and this is it for me mapping today.
    Its all looking very interesting, Jim.

Is it just my eyes being wonky again, or is that an area of... green knitting?

I can't imagine it is, really, so I thought I should ask! LOL
    edited August 2016
    Jim, are you using an isometric grid? An isometric grid with snap and cursor snap should help with the floor symbol placement.

Also, i don't know if you already do this, but when I did that mockup with the arch glow a weak or so ago, I found that copying sections of floor that I'd already laid out made it easier to create larger areas. Just a thought.

Looks good so far. Personally, I like the bridges.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    edited August 2016
    The fuzzy area with the green and red are mushrooms and toadstools.

The huge green area is a green fill that looks like algae covered pond water to me. Or knitting. I tried adjusting the scale of the fill...

I tried copying huge areas, but due to the squares around the iso symbols not matching up with the edges, I cannot easily get them to meet up edge to edge.

I'm using a perspectives template.
    edited August 2016
    But are you using a grid? Or, even better, I recommend the Draw>Hex or Square Overlay menu option — even if you remove or hide the grid overlay for the finished map once you're done. I didn't use PerPro much, but I find the Per3 grid to be a little "temperamental." I recommend the overlay because it seems to configure the Perspectives drawing grid to match the overlay. It makes placing things a thousand times easier*.

I posted about it a couple of weeks ago. I recommend people check the Center option, under the Draw column of the Set snap grid section (see the first picture in the linked post), but leave the other Draw checkboxes clear. This creates fewer snap positions so placement is quicker and easier.

The map would probably require some re-work, but it would go a LOT faster because you wouldn't have to eyeball everything.

Just my $0.02.

~Dogtag

* This claim has not been empirically tested or verified by any reputable agency, but I'll bet they like the sound of it.

• Oh, no I don't typicaly used grids except to show distances after the map is drawn. Of course, the hex maps I've posted here are for a rpg that uses them, those I use the grid to map with.
    edited August 2016
    Which is cool. I'm just saying that, if you choose to use one while drawing an iso map (and then hide or remove it later), it'll make it easier (a lot easier) to match up the iso floor symbols.
  • I'll think about it.

I haven't noticed any partial iso floor tiles to make a jagged edge with, I didn't look too hard so there might be some.
  • Level 3 done with the CA 95 clouds under the floor.
  • Wow - I really, really like the perspectives maps!

I have not gotten that upgrade yet.

Good stuff JimP!
    I really like the clouds beneath the map. Gives it that extra 'fantasy feel' :)
  • This is from an Annual #66 from 2012. And while I like working with it, I need to use my large mnitor not my laptop, to make these maps.

The clouds are from Annual #95, 2014, Alyssa Faden Overland. Since the clouds make their own sheet, its easier to move them under or above the map.
  • 8 days later
  • Posted By: JimPThis is from an Annual #66 from 2012. And while I like working with it, I need to use my large mnitor not my laptop, to make these maps.

The clouds are from Annual #95, 2014, Alyssa Faden Overland. Since the clouds make their own sheet, its easier to move them under or above the map.
    I have to ask can you fall off the sides of the level? I ask because I'm terrified of heights!
  • No, although that is an idea. Its an iso dungeon to give it more of a 3D look than I can manage with an overhead map.
  • 3 months later
    edited December 2016
    Here is tier 5 of the B4 adventure module. The two large areas in the left center is the entrance and the large mud pit and the smaller mud pit upper right are the home of the main bad buy. Follower of Zargon areas. Since I'm thinking about running this adventure, I don't want to get too detailed.

larger map on my site