Can't even start a new map

This is embarassing, but here goes: I bought CC2PRO back in 2005. I just found it in my CD stash and couldn't remember why I never used it...until now. I can't even start a new map! I followed all the quick start guides and youtube videos, but the problem seems to be right after you click "new". The style choice window pops up, but I can't select anything.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I assume you are running it on Windows Vista or newer? CC2 is not supported on those platforms, but check Ralf's answer in this thread for a workaround to your problem.
  • Thanks for the reply. I saw that thread, but it didn't help me any. I can get the template box to open, but I can't select anything in it. Also, this happened back when it was first purchased. I have never been able to use it. In 2005 my machine was running Windows XP.

I don't think this is OS related. I can't imagine the OS is preventing me from click-selecting on a template.
  • This is ridiculous. I just Right-Clicked on "NEW", clicked on "select template", clicked on just about every single template in the list and.....nothing happens.
  • OK, I found the workaround. If I first open an existing example map, I can rightclick on New-->New using EXISTING template and get a fresh template to draw on.... Guess I found a coaster I paid $100 for back in the day. Sunk costs and all that.

I'm sure CC3 is much better, but no thanks, I'm not impressed.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sorry you feel that way, but you are trying to use an old piece of software that is not supported on more modern OS'es. For a version that runs properly on the newer OS'es, you need CC3. You can get CC2 to run, but you will need to do a couple of workaround for a few of the issues.

And yes, this IS definitely OS-related. a change in Windows led to those dialogs not working properly anymore. Why you had problems back in the day with XP, I can't say anything about without doing additional testing/troulbeshootin, but for me (and the majority of the users as far as I am aware), those dialogs worked perfectly fine under XP. If you still were using XP, I would have recommended you put in a tech support request.