Cannot Load New Map

So, I just loaded my CC2 Pro on to my Windows 7 laptop, and while it looks like all is well, I cannot load a new map. It just keeps the opening image there - though I can use it like a map. Before I try to upgrade to CC3 I want to get this working properly. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also, my "Help" function doesn't work.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC Pro is not supported on Windows 7.
    The reason for the help system not working is that CC Pro uses the old windows help format, which is no longer included in Windows 7. As for problems opening the map, I am not sure exactly, but try opening maps by double-clicking the map file in explorer instead of opening them from inside the program, maybe that will work as a workaround.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2013
    I can't add anything else regarding CC Pro but, as far as the older help file format goes, you should be able to find on the Internet the files needed to open *.hlp files in Win 7. Check out the relevant MS knowledge base article for details. I did, myself, since I much prefer the older format in many ways. Not to mention I still have the AD&D Core Rules, which uses the older WinHelp format!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    There is a workaround for starting a new map in CC2 Pro under Windows 7: Type TEMPLATE at the command line, this brings up a working template selection dialog. Use a template, then right-click the New button and choose "New from current template".

That said, I highly recommend upgrading to CC3 for working under Windows 7. As Monsen says CC2 is not supported anymore.
  • Thanks everybody, I will give these methods a try.

I am assuming the new CC3 is supported in Windows 7, so if I switch to that I won't have to do all the patching & work-arounds?
  • Vista and 7 aren't all that different so it shouldn't be a problem.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3 is compatible with Windows 7, and it uses the modern help system, so you won't need workarounds like those described above.