my new Traveller rpg site, downports, etc.

Comments

• Partially done making the Sector level 7 map, but its going to take awhile. Not sure how I'm going to draw in, place, the xboat paths for the multiple levels. Probably come up with a side-view method of some sort.
  • partial Level 7 Sector 6 map. Just complete this one, and 6 more layer maps. Then the sub-sector maps. I'll be old and gray... wait, I'm already old and gray.

50% size map
  • 18 days later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2016
    Layers 6 and 7 done, including sector maps for each layer. Only 4 layers, hundreds of planets, and a number of sub-sector maps to go, i.e. 93 planets mapped out of 618.

edit:

Overall, 654 planet maps done. About 1200 planet maps total when the star cluster is finished.
  • 2 months later
  • Update. Levels 5, 6, and 7 of this star cluster are done. With level 4 partially done. I'm taking a break from this and I'll be working on my Crestar Arcology maps more.
  • Some really nice stuff JimP!
  • thanks. And there are over 800 planet maps done now.
  • 3 months later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2016
    I've held back on the star cluster, I sometimes get confused over which layer of the cluster a planet goes on... It takes a couple of days to get it all set, then start posting... so a week per layer of the cluster. No time for that until this fall.

Anyway, 1065 planets, 14 planet surveys, 375 universal planet profiles. And I've started mapping the 'planets few and far between' area between the two Galaxy arms. It is called Path 02

Path 02

And the large slowly loading image maps are on their own pages now. So the front page loads much faster now.
  • 1 month later
  • Hm... I have been running into the problem of duplicate planet names I thought I hadn't used yet... but I had.

I have been comparing the web site to my spreadsheet. Out of 500 planets so far, I found about 6 of them don't match what I had in the spreadsheet. I corrected the spreadsheet. Two were misspelled planet names, and the rest mismatched something.

So, until I get this completed, only 10 more listing pages of 100 articles per page, to go I wont be uploading any more FT3 planets. Not all of those are planet maps. Some are for my Starship Wanderer.
  • Thanks for stopping by my site. I have 1096 planet maps there now. 360 UWPS and 30 planetary surveys.

Unfortunately going through the spreadsheet and comparing it to my site articles is taking longer than I expected. I still have about 7 and a half pages to go through on the site admin, which is just under 700 more planets to compare. I'll be busy offline this weekend, so I may or may not be around much. But this does mean I have a little over 8 pages done.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Wow! That's a lot of planets!

How many stars must there be for all those presumably M class worlds to exist? How many galaxies?
  • Two spiral arms of our galaxy. Since some parts of our galaxy, on this side of it, are canon, i.e. in the official Traveller universe, I made mine, UTO unofficial Traveller universe, on the other side of the galaxy. I have two large image bitmaps of the areas I'm covering. The Gran-Dal Arm has, I made the arm names up, has 18 x 22 Sectors, 396. Each Sector has 16 Sub-Sectors. Some have stars and planets in them, some don't. Vespucian Arm has the same number of sectors. There is an area of sectors that connect them. Part 2. Lots of Part 2 is a Rift devoid of stars and planets.

I use FT3 and export using the Cosmographer template. Thats the easy bit. Its putting them on the site and deciding which column, sector, and sub-sector they go to is the hard part.

What I have mapped so far is linked towards the bottom of the first article on my site. I probably have only a few tens of thousands planets to go... as you can see from the image bitmaps I have barely scratched the surface. I am about half done with the Star cluster, that png of different color dots further up this thread.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Mission impossible!

If I had half the drive required to carry on with a project like that, I'd have been published ten times over by now!

Awesome :)
  • I don't expect to complete it, afterall, I have hikes to go on. Not to mention Starship Wanderer...
  • Well, this is taking longer than I expected... checking the spreadsheet I mean. 6 and a partial page left. Found a few more planet names, duplicates and new entries, not in the spreadsheet. I did turnout a few FT3 planets last week... but no names nor uploaded yet until I get this all sorted out.

I may go camping to try and relax my brain. But fall is transition weather... don't know if I should take a coat or a short sleeve shirt. Both would be too heavy. Ah, decisions.
  • Whew. About 3 pages left of 100 articles per page left to check. Found a typo or two. Added a number of entries to my spreadsheet. Glad not all of them are planet articles.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, at least you are getting there :) From your last two posts, seems like you manage to get through a page a day on average.
  • I would get them done faster... but I still haven't straightened out my room, or my storage shed and added electricity, after 2 years and got my 39" tv screen up and connected. That would be much better and I could see details easier and easier on my eyes.
    Posted By: JimPgot my 39" tv screen up and connected
    As a computer monitor I presume? That should put you in the position for some great large-scale mapping :)
  • Yup, DVI connectors on both ends. My desktop has a nice 1 gigabyte vdeo card in it. I would have gotten a bigger one, but the power supply wouldn't handle it. I did look into putting a large ps in it, but I decided not to.
    Ah, I still remember when 1 megabyte of video ram was considered the hottest thing money could buy. Now we measure it in the gigabytes (My new card has 8GB)
    Anyway, unless you use software (like games) that needs to store lots of textures on the video card, 1 gb is plenty, after all a Full HD screen (Which your TV probably is) only require about 17MB of video ram to display correctly for non-3D stuff.
  • Yeah, 1080p for my screen. The first video I had, in an Intel computer for home use, was CGA. The first time I played Everquest, I had a 32 meg video card. I found it recently, its tiny. My first ever computer was a Sinclair ZX-81 with a Z80A in it, blanked the b&w tv when it did a calculation as it couldn't display and do math at the same time.

I found out, figured out, why I had so many duplicate planet names. I didn't double check by sorting the spreadsheet every few weeks. I did it tonight, and saw a few jumps in the alphabetization. I have such a large number of names, not all of them used yet, I have them in about 6 tabs in one spreadsheet.
    Sounds like you need to upgrade from a spreadsheet to a database. Much easier to do lookups and duplicate checking (and prevent duplicates alltogether).
  • My laptop barely works with what I'm running on it. I have a Mint linux desktop I'm not using right now. After we get electricity to my storage shed/ ham radio building, I can more work with items like that and add MySql to it.
  • Ooops. I should have posted that here. I have completed my planet name inventory. Whew.
  • And after I get all my files copied over to the computer... I'll start work on my sites and maps again. Desktop, not on tablet.
  • 4 months later
  • Well, I'm on a Win 10 Home computer now. It has a graphics chip in it. And a 21" screen. I have 1096 planet maps, 40 planet surveys and 386 universal world profiles ( UWP). And my planet name spreadsheet is huge and had to be broken up into multiple pages.

I'm in the proccess of adding more, about 59 planet maps. 57 as working articles, and I should have 59... so I have to dig through 23 spreadsheets and my web site to see which 2 are not posted.

These articles aren't visible on my web site just yet.
  • 3 months later
  • Okay, 1176 planet maps, 56 planet surveys, and 396 UWPs as of today.

I figured that before I get lost and put planets in the wrong galaxy arm, or sector, I better look at my spreadsheets and make sure everything is correct, before adding more planets.

Out of 7 planets, I found 3 bad links and a typo or two. Hopefully the rest of my site isn't that bad off.

Added 21 planets this week, I think I got them in the correct locations.

Taking a break until Thursday, on my sites anyway.
  • Well, not so many typos as to cause me to lose my hair...

But I am going through my spreadsheet of planets in alphabetical order. I should have done this last year, but I am catching a few mistakes here and there.

61 planet surveys done. And Since I have so few, I added a page of links for them so folks who go there wont have to search for the few planet surveys in the 1176 pages of planets.
  • Okay, 76 planet surveys and 411 UWPs, same number of planets. Fewer typos this time. Down to Afab-Nel, just 1100 more planet surveys to go. Whoosh.