Boardgame

Hi everyone.
I have just bought CC3 as I am designing a Fantasy boardgame. Can somebody please help me. I need to draw a reasonably thick path with squares on it. I would like it to be filled with cobbles or something similiar.

Thanks

Welshboy

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Hello,

do you have only CC3 or also Dungeon Designer 3?
  • Hi Ralf,
    I have the whole fantasy package.
    Thanks
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    DD3 has several cobblestone fills.

If you started out with a DD3 map for the board, use one of DD3's floor tools (Right click the Floor button), and grab the cobble floor. You can then draw your path as a polygon using this tool. For the squares, you may be able to use CC3's grid feature (Draw -> Hex or Square overlay). If you click the select points button in this dialog, you can easily limit the grid to a small part of your map, and not fill the entire map with the grid. You can easily change the color and with of this grid afterwards with Change Properties (You may need to Thaw the grid layer first, since it is normally frozen)

If you did not start out with a DD3 template, you can import the DD3 fill styles into your drawing by going to Drawing -> Insert file, then select a DD3 map, and insert it into your current drawing. Then immediately Undo (ctrl+Z or Edit-> Undo), and the inserted map will be removed again, but the fill styles will remain. If you don't have a DD3 map to insert, create one. You don't need to draw anything on it, just create a new DD3 map using the wizard, save it, and use that for the insertion.
    Are you looking to do something like in the attached image?

For this I created a new drawing tool in a DD3 map first:
    - start a 100x80 feet DD3 Dungeon map
    - right-click the Floor drawing tool button.
    - click Advanced
    - select the tool "Floor, Cobble Grey, Stright"
    - click new and name the new tool "Floor, Cobble Grey, Smooth Path"
    - choose "Open" for the closure, and under Options choose "Smooth"
    - click Properties and set the line width to 5.000
    - Click ok, save the tool and Ok again to start drawing your cobbled path (5 feet wide).

If this is going in the right direction for you, let me know and I'll explain how to do the squares on the path
    test.jpg 252.8K
  • Ralph
    Thats exactly what I need, maybe with the "squares" a bit bolder. I need the game board about 4xA4 by 2xA4 size, thats about 30x20 inches if you're from over the big pond! Will I then be able to use the tool in a CC3 overland map? and will it come out the right size? I love CC3 it's amazing!
    Thanks
    Welshman
    I've attached a symbol catalog with the square symbol I used for this. It is a very simple symbol, which a Control Point added (use Symbols > Symbol Manager > Edit to take a closer look at the symbol). The control point makes sure the symbol aligns to an underlying path when you place it, resulting in the path following the path as you see above.

I placed the squares on their own sheet and applied a Transparency effect to the sheet. If you do that yourself, you can control exactly how transparent the squares should be.

To use the drawing tool in an overland map, you first need to import the DD3 fills into the map. Monsen describes that above. It would then be easiest to take an existing drawing tool (for example a Road tool) and make the same adjustments to it, as I described above for the Floor tool.
  • Thanks fellas, I think I'm goinmg to have to go through the tutorials and the manual before I try to carry out those commands, they all seem double dutch to me at the moment!

Thanks
  • 4 months later
  • Hi again fellas,
    I've been going through the tutorials and I've learned quite a bit. I've tried importing the the above cobbled floor path into CC3 but cant seem to get it to work, how do I go about it?
    Also, I've been making my gameboard by following the youtube tutorial, my map has a coastline on west and the rest is land. When I use the sheets and effects to get the "blending" on the coastline it ends up applying to the edges of the land on the north, east and south. How do I stop that happening?
    One more thing (sorry!), how do you the sheets and effects to apply to conours lands objescts that you draw later on? ie I draw a contour shape and apply sheets and effects to it, which looks great, I then later on draw another contour in but the sheets and effects doesn't seem tp apply to it.
    Thanks
    Guiy
    edited September 2011
    To begin with your last question. Sheet effects applies to everything on a given sheet, no matter if you drew it before or after you enabled/configured the effect. If it doesn't show, try to execute a redraw command after creating the entity. Effects aren't always visible on new entities until after a redraw has been called. If this doesn't work, make sure that your new contour is on the same sheet as the original one, as sheet effects applies to contents of sheets, not entity types, so if it is on the wrong sheet, it won't have the effect either.

To prevent effects on edges at the map border, you need to tinker a bit with the map border. Look at my reply in this thread for an answer I gave another user a few days ago about the same issue.

As for your first question. What exactly is it that you can't get to work about it? Any specific steps that gives you trouble?
  • Thanks for the reply. Regarding the path, I just can't open it in CC3
    Thanks
  • also, the link to the other post mentioned seems to be broken
    Fixed the link. Didn't notice it was broken, because it worked perfectly in Firefox, but somehow a missing " caused IE to add two extra \-symbols tot he start.

As for the other file, that is a symbol catalog, so just save it to your drive, then open it with the open symbol catalog button.
  • I ve tried opening the symbol catalogue and finding it but no luck. I'm not brilliant with computers so I'm not really surprised! I know I saved it exactly as described above, but finding it again seemes very tricky!
  • When I open up DD3 the floor path I created is accessable by right clicking on the Floor buttton, it is then there as Floor, cobble, smooth, grey, path, please take me through what to do with CC3 running to get it, thanks