Newbie question - first map - Making a shoreline on a section of continent

OK, just starting out (again - year or two ago I did some dungeon mapping) trying to make some maps for a new campaign I'm starting.

I'd like to make a map of a local section of continental coastline. Using the default land mass button I can make a land mass and I appreciate how it automatically gives the water a bit of a light blue "glow"...

I'd like to do the same for the shoreline (give it a bit of sandy "glow" to simulate shore), however if I use "Inner Glow" and apply it to the land mass, it ALSO applies the glow to the borders (my land mass is in the upper right of the map, so the right and top edge of my map also contain a sandy "inner glow" border)...

Is there a way to:

a) Turn off the glow on the right and top portion of the landmass?
or
b) Get the program to draw the landmass out "beyond" the borders of my map (so the inner edge glow doesn't make it back onto the displayed part of the map) Even if I could extend it out under the map border graphic, it would probably be good enough...
or
c) how do I add a glow to just one edge of a line? (I managed to copy and "explode" my land mass, then delete the top and right hand sides so all I had was the coastline, then I grouped it together again and moved it back on top of the original coastline.... but then I didn't know how to get a "glow" effect on only one side of that group/line...)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm sure its been answered frequently around here but I'm so new I'm not very good at finding answers yet either...

thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Drawing tools snap to entities on the MAP BORDER layer, so if you move the decorative map border to another layer, then draw a new map border (just a set of simple lines to outline the area) somewhere a bit inside the decorative border. This way, it will be hidden by the decorative border, and the landmass will snap to this line instead. This again means that the outer edges of the landmass will be cloaked by the decorative map border, hiding any such edge effects.
  • Thanks, I'll give that a try. Sounds doable...
  • Posted By: MonsenDrawing tools snap to entities on the MAP BORDER layer, so if you move the decorative map border to another layer, then draw a new map border (just a set of simple lines to outline the area) somewhere a bit inside the decorative border. This way, it will be hidden by the decorative border, and the landmass will snap to this line instead. This again means that the outer edges of the landmass will be cloaked by the decorative map border, hiding any such edge effects.
    OK, my problem is now... how do I select and move the map border to another layer.... I'm having no luck choosing it with the "properties" button (I keep getting the water background). (I assume once I get it selected I can move it to another layer in the properties dialogue...)
  • Found the issue... the map border layer was "fixed", turned that off and I'm making progress...