SMAC - Shessar's Map Art Collection

1235»

Comments

• 15 days later
  • Shessar - it appears that your site is down (it was up yesterday afternoon). Any chance we can get to the content again?
  • I was hosting on a free site and it looks like they've shut me down for excessive bandwidth usage. I'm not surprised. ;)

I'll have to look for a paid host that can handle the bandwidth for a reasonable price. I'll let you know as soon as I have the site back up. It could take a while.

If anyone knows of a good (and somewhat cheap) host, I'd welcome the input.
  • Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor
    Posted By: ShessarI was hosting on a free site and it looks like they've shut me down for excessive bandwidth usage. I'm not surprised. ;)

I'll have to look for a paid host that can handle the bandwidth for a reasonable price. I'll let you know as soon as I have the site back up. It could take a while.

If anyone knows of a good (and somewhat cheap) host, I'd welcome the input.
    Shessar,
    I would be willing to host your site for you. Let me know I can set everything up. I have unlimited BW and space and I use very little so adding your site would not be a problem. You would have complete control over it.

Let me Know - It you be my way of giving back to the Profantasy community
  • I may take you up on this akbdeck. However, if you are on a paid host, I would appreciate it if you could check your TOS with them. Most that I have found prohibit the use of the site for the explicit purpose of file sharing. Most never notice a few files being downloaded, but 30 to 40 people per month, downloading 5 - 6 gigs of files, is certain to catch someones attention eventually. I would hate to have you loose your site over this.

Let me know if you are saddled with this limitation. If not, then I will probably accept your offer.

The other option I'm looking at is to find a host that specializes in file hosting and who also allows hot-linking. I can host the website on one host and link to the file depository on the other.
  • Shessar I highly recommend MediaFire.com for file hosting as well. Cheap and pretty good service.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2016
    I have, and can, put files on my web host. As long as you have pages on your site that has content on them. No bandwidth or size restrictions on total file usage. 21 pixel text banner added on the fly by the server.

deleted link as no longer there. Nov 7, 2016.
  • edited January 2011
    Posted By: nickvertoShessar I highly recommend MediaFire.com for file hosting as well. Cheap and pretty good service.
    MediaFire looks like it has a plan that will work perfectly for my needs. Thanks for pointing me in that direction nick!
    Posted By: JimPI have, and can, put files on my web host. As long as you have pages on your site that has content on them. No bandwidth or size restrictions on total file usage. 21 pixel text banner added on the fly by the server.

http://www.cwahi.net/
    That's where I was hosting JimP. They shut me down for various reasons and were not interested in me going to a paid plan. Too high of a usage for a small hosting company. :(

Anyway, give me a week or two to get everything set up again. The SMAC will be back! :)
  • Weird. Well, its their server.
    edited January 2011
    Posted By: ShessarI may take you up on this akbdeck. However, if you are on a paid host, I would appreciate it if you could check your TOS with them. Most that I have found prohibit the use of the site for the explicit purpose of file sharing. Most never notice a few files being downloaded, but 30 to 40 people per month, downloading 5 - 6 gigs of files, is certain to catch someones attention eventually. I would hate to have you loose your site over this.

Let me know if you are saddled with this limitation. If not, then I will probably accept your offer.

The other option I'm looking at is to find a host that specializes in file hosting and who also allows hot-linking. I can host the website on one host and link to the file depository on the other.
    I'll check on it and let you know.

The files being posted for download are not restricted file types and are public domain (more or less) I see nothing in the legal documents that state the activity is against the rules / agreement with the parent company. If need be we can restrict the BW per month if needed.

Let Me know if you want to and we can get started by setting up your account and repointing the DNS to the correct servers.
  • Thank you akbdeck! I accept your generous offer.

I love this community. :)
  • Keep us posted! I was going to offer a spot on my dedicated server as well... but you guys have it sewed up nicely. ;)
    Shessar and I are currently working on getting the site back online It will take us a few days to get things back up and running.
  • edited February 2011
    The SMAC is back thanks to akbdeck!!!

The address for the new site is www.shessar-mapart.info.
    Link removed

Thanks for your patience and Happy Mapping!
  • 1 month later
  • I am sorry to say that I have decided to take down the SMAC website.

Meeting the individual ToS requirements of numerous artists has become a bit more complex than I had anticipated. When a hobby starts to feel too much like a job, it is time to set it down.

Sorry I couldn't keep this going.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sorry to see this go. It was an awesome resource.

I fully understand your reasons though. Dealing with different requirements from different artists must be a chore.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this.
  • Thanks Shessar for all the hard work you put into the SMAC. It has been greatly appreciated!
  • Thanks Shessar for all the work and I will miss it. I got a lot of use out the SMAC.

I understand about the artist requirements. That can be a real nightmare to deal with. I'm experiencing something similar with some figure counters symbol sets I'm looking at trying to make.
  • Thanks Shessar. Your fantastic work was not only very usefull but also inspiring.
    Without SMAC, I wouldn't have thought to make my own symbols...
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Thanks for the great work and a pity you're taking it down - although I can understand that very well.
  • Rats, I wasn't worrying about downloading the last files, assuming that I had time.

But I understand, and thank you for taking this on as long as you did.

Steve
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    Thank you....good gaming to you and yours!
  • Is there any reason you can't just load the files you currently have on a free MediaFire account and post the links here so we can at least get what you already have done?
  • Posted By: nickvertoIs there any reason you can't just load the files you currently have on a free MediaFire account and post the links here so we can at least get what you already have done?
    I did not take it down because of hosting problems. I took it down because of difficulties with meeting the Terms of Service requirements of multiple artists. It was truly a situation of "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not please all of the people all of the time".

There are legal requirements to include copywrited work in a package like the SMAC and with 100+ artists I just couldn't make it work as a whole. Every artist I had contact with was willing to let me distribute their art ... but only under certain terms. Those terms conflicted. If anyone is thinking of hosting this themselves, all I can say is, don't. You will be breaking the copyright laws of multiple countries and many of the artists are quite serious about protecting their rights. You would also be violating the ToS under which you downloaded the files.

If I ever considered taking on a project like this again, it would be on a much smaller scale. I'm sorry I couldn't keep this going, but it just got to be too much work.
  • Thanks for the work you did.

I don't blame you for stopping.
  • pool7pool7 Traveler
    I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, so please don't take my message that way:
    First of all, thanks Shessar for your hard work; although I never really got to download the SMAC (and really wanted to, but never had time), I know you put a lot of work into it, and it's really appreciated.

There's one thing that doesn't make sense here (as well as it happened with the CSUAC I guess): how come you come up with this ToS stuff now, after redistributing the SMAC for such a long time?
    I mean: if I were to create a pack of artwork from different artists, I would first contact them for permission, then go through the ToS of each artist and decide what to keep and what not, then create the pack, redistribute it per ToS and update it as needed following the same "steps".

My point is: why can't you keep redistributing what you had already packed? Did many artists change their ToS and you don't have the time to go and remove their individual art? Or did you pack everything up, redistributed it and then asked for permission+ToS?

I'm sure I'm missing something here that would make this all make sense...
  • I too thank Shessar for all his work. I have most of the files. I totally understand why you stopped working on the project but I thought it was an issue with putting NEW stuff into the pack. I thought you had it all taken care of for the stuff you already had on the site. So there are issues with the art ToS that was already available?
  • I also give a big thanks to Shessar, I appreciate the time and effort you put into it. Shame about the too many cooks, but you'd have to pay them to work under a common licence. At least you can have a rest now.
  • 1 year later
  • It's a pitty that it is not avaiable anymore =(. I would gadly pay for it. Anyway, thank you.