[WIP] Town of Kukaar (Ancient Cities Annual)

2»

Comments

• I had the legend smaller but thought it might be too small. I didn’t actually render a JPG of it, though, so let me try it and actually see if it’s legible. Thank you!

• Hi everyone,

Thank you for the feedback, it was very helpful. I put the legend back to the original size and location, and it actually looks pretty good. There's room for some lines to wrap if I make it slightly larger, but it seems legible enough as is. Also, I made the roads stand out a little more by changing the transparency effect from 50% opaque to 75% opaque.

Also, are the numbers on the map okay? Should I make them bigger? (I just noticed that some seem to be different sizes, so I will at least have to standardize that.) Are there effects that would make them pop more, like a stronger white glow? Is there anything else unlabeled that should be labeled? I just provided a few sample businesses (inns, blacksmiths, etc.) figuring that a DM could make up something on the fly if players were looking for a specific type of business, but I can add others that folks think are necessary.

Neighborhood maps are a good idea if anyone wants to do a full campaign here (rather than an adventure limited to an inn or a temple, where the rest of the map just provides a general context). I have a whole laundry list of maps I want to do first, but once this is published in the Atlas (after the contest is done), I would welcome anyone to take a neighborhood and expand on it.

LoopysueQuentenRicko HascheWyvernDaltonSpence
  • Amazing amount of work in this, and looking excellent!

Rather reminded of the reconstructed layout of the ancient Near Eastern city of Mari by it now. Except that has been done as rather more circularly-symmetrical, and has a broad canal stream running through it, rather than the main river channel. Two-thirds were washed away by the shifting over time of the Euphrates' channel anyway, so there's a fair bit of guesswork involved with that, of course.

In terms of the number labels, the larger size ones seem clear enough to me now without enlarging the glow, although you could increase it if you need them to really stand out more. Sometimes just moving them slightly to have a different background colour surrounding them might be enough to "cure" any perceived difficulties, I suspect.

Not sure about the "13" label in the city for the patch of green there; not certain that's really needed.

You might add a few more trees and bushes along both river banks. These could be regularly cleared and/or farmed in the city, but outside, they'll grow wherever they please, and there's enough water.

Maybe add labels for the two circular canal basins, or even a couple of the main canals, along with a fancy name for the bridge, say? And perhaps a name for the river too?

Royal Scribe
  • Good ideas — and I have a name for the river from the parent map, so that part’s easy.

• I really do like this map. The street layout seems more modern than ancient which implies an advanced and prosperous civilization. This would make it a great setting for any number of adventures.
    Royal Scribe
  • Actually, the grid street was common in the ancient world - the crazed street layout as more medieval.

Royal Scribe
  • Finally had a chance today to add some names and some trees.

LoopysueQuentenMonsenWyvernroflo1