CD3: Converting House Styles

One of the more interesting features of City Designer 3 is the Random Street command (STREET) which can generate multiple houses along a section of street. Unfortunately while it possible to use multiple house styles you can only select one Roof Style in the STREETOPT command (right click). Is it possible to convert an existing random house to a different house style with a new roof style while retaining its generated shape?

Best Answers

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

Most of the procedural generation tools in CC3 are one-time drawing aids that result in sets of primitives (circle, arc, line, polygon, and so on) rather than in entities that retain the original identities of the procgen request. The HOUSE command, for example, generates polygons and those little frills along the edges of the rooflines can be composed of hundreds of nodes. Once the nodes for the basic house are placed, it's not really possible for the system to go back and change them out for something different except in a very limited sense. Changing the roof style of an existing house (including those generated by STREET) doesn't seem to be one of the limited editing options.

I may be wrong on that last one, though, because I didn't go through the code in any great detail.

LoopysueJimProflo1
  • Accepted Answer

When editing grouped entities, remember you can click on the Locked/Unlocked button on the bottom right (next to Snap, Ortho, etc.) to allow selecting individual entities within a group.

Answers

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Accepted Answer

Most of the procedural generation tools in CC3 are one-time drawing aids that result in sets of primitives (circle, arc, line, polygon, and so on) rather than in entities that retain the original identities of the procgen request. The HOUSE command, for example, generates polygons and those little frills along the edges of the rooflines can be composed of hundreds of nodes. Once the nodes for the basic house are placed, it's not really possible for the system to go back and change them out for something different except in a very limited sense. Changing the roof style of an existing house (including those generated by STREET) doesn't seem to be one of the limited editing options.

I may be wrong on that last one, though, because I didn't go through the code in any great detail.

LoopysueJimProflo1
  • Okay, the way I did it was to ungroup the houses I wanted to change and manipulated or deleted the components individually. A little labour intensive but simpler than I expected.
    Royal Scribe
  • Accepted Answer

When editing grouped entities, remember you can click on the Locked/Unlocked button on the bottom right (next to Snap, Ortho, etc.) to allow selecting individual entities within a group.