Scale bar confusion

I've been reading through the Tome of Ultimate Mapping and I am confused about the distance shown by a scale bar. In the example map creation, on page 22, where it talks about scale bar placement, it says that scale bars are generally scaled to 100 at a scale of 1. In my map, I'm getting a scale of 200 at scale 1. I came across this forum post (https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/comment/19338#Comment_19338) that says scale bars are scaled 200:1. Is that correct for all scale bars or just specific ones and, if they vary, how do I found out what their scale is?

JimP

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Most scale bars are 100, but there are exceptions like the style from that thread, where it is 200. Some styles also have multiple lengths, like the Schley overland style which as two at 100 and one at 200

The easiest way to check the scale of it in any style is simply to place it (Make sure the current symbol scale is 1) and measure it using the Info->Distance tool.

LoopysueJimPRicko HascheScottA
  • Thank you! I felt like I was back in school, trying to figure out why my answer doesn't match the teacher's and going in circles. Was driving me crazy.

JimP