(WIP) Bindak's Retreat - An Asian Pirate Hideout

edited December 2022 in Show and Tell

I'm currently very real-life-busy, so I'll probably finish this one during the holidays:

When the Imperial Navy abandoned the southern provinces, the left behind a lighthouse, a small harbour and a now unprotected monastery.

Soon after, the ruthless pirate captain Bindak looted the monastery and converted the harbour into a pirate hideout.

The ghosts of the slain monks want their revenge, there's old mysteries awaiting in the jungle, abandoned mine tunnels, retired and active pirates - all with a slightly Southeast-Asian flair. Should make a good vacation for my players.

The main style used is CA143 Asian Town, with additions from City Cliffs, Maritime Dungeons, Forest Trails, Creepy Crypts and Darklands Cities.

A few details shots:

The town, with a logging area right next to it. Might add a bit more detail later.

Old jungle ruins and the trace of one of the decorative barracudas:

The western plateau and the haunted monastery. Those flower bushes seem to be sapping the energy out of the ground somehow...

Comments and suggestions for improvement are highly welcome.

LoopysueJeff BMonsenRicko Hasche[Deleted User]RalfWyvernAleDJimPadelia hernandezand 1 other.

Comments

• I'm impressed with the roof damage effect you somehow managed to do.

There are two things that strike me as odd. In the last picture, there is a green-blue splotch surrounded by trees in the top center of the cliff on the bottom left. It looks nice, but i am not sure what that is. A pond? If so, it seems odd to be on top of a cliff as it should have drained down.

The cliffs on the right in the first image have grass on top and that looks nice. But, it looks like you have trees or maybe other plants in the valleys of the cliff. It just seems strange for there to be grass on top, but no trees. However trees where there is a lot more shade. Where all the trees cuts down?

EukalyptusNow
  • Jeff BJeff B Betatester 🖼️ 37 images Surveyor

@JulianDracos Not strange at all. Where I live you see forest or heavy vegetation between barren hills in the valleys. It all has to do with latitude, weather, terrain elevation, tree line elevation, soils types etc. ie a lot of factors.

@EukalyptusNow Really nice map/ Love the fish heads

EukalyptusNow
  • edited December 2022

@JulianDracos @Jeff B :

Thank you for the comments.

Yes, there's barren hills, but I'm simply not yet finished with the right side (WIP 😉 ). Still undecided whether I'll add more vegetation, bits of different ground texture or bits of both. It'll probably be rockier than the Western plateau. Will also add cave entrances to where the paths end.

The blue green Terrain is supposed to be swamp/ water. A bit of terrain where the ground is more level and the ground more water absorbent, so it catches the rain running down the slope to the North. I'm thinking about moving it a bit more North / downhill now, where it would collect more water running down the slope.

The roof damage effect is rather easy:

Add a colour Key effect to the appropriate building sheets, and then put floors, rubble, beams etc beneath it.

@Loopysue found it and created a great tutorial about it (This seems to work only on city symbols, which is a bit of a shame.)

Edit: Just tried it out with SS6. Doesn't work there. 🙁

JulianDracos
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

This only works if the houses have special files called map files that allow CC3 to shade top view rooftops.

EukalyptusNow
  • Interesting about the color key and putting things below it. I will need to play around with the color key to see what things I can do using this technique.

EukalyptusNow
  • 11 days later
  • It's done. 😊

Finished the Eastern side and the map key. Also added a bit of decorative work.

I've decided to leave the swampy parts on the left side where they are.

Details shot of the east:

Wildtown is a gathering of outcasts who even have trouble fitting in with the regular pirates.

The pirates let them have their own settlement, as long as they assist in defending the retreat during attacks by pirate hunters.

"Little Bawalin" is a small sub-settlement in an abandoned mine (Bawalin is a Dwarven pirate city state in the world we play).

Decorative work details:

A larger version is in my gallery.

Happy new year. :)

Ricko HascheLoopysueAleDWyvernJeff BJulianDracosMonsen[Deleted User]JimPadelia hernandezand 1 other.