Quick Small Spectrum Map

I wanted to use fills for the trees, but I was in a hurry and couldn't figure out how to change the scale on them.

LoreleiMonsenLoopysueCalibreAleDRicko HascheJaysOutJimPEdELillhansand 1 other.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

For a map in a hurry its good :)

For future reference you can scale the fills by clicking the fill style (FS:...) in the top bar and then select the fill you want from in the Bitmaps tab of the Fill Style Properties dialog (Fill Style Name: dropdown box).

Scale is controlled by the Width and Height text boxes, towards the bottom left.

• I think there may be some confusion concerning the term "fill". I don't believe there are any tree bitmap fills available (I could be wrong) but there are commands that could fill an area with tree symbols. I've never used them myself since I don't draw overland maps, only floorplans, deck plans, battle maps, city maps and the occasional artwork. 
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2021

There are.

I made them to cover large areas in dense forest. They only work well if you carefully spot single tree symbols all around the edges.

Part of the forest in the example map is done that way.

There are also drawing tools that do symbols in area. I think they were incorporated into the symbol catalogs

Glitch
  • I like it!

I am also using spectrum style to make a "small map".

I am sure there is a super well done video tutorial for that, or an article by Remy @Monsen, or a section in the Tome... So what I'll show you below may not be the best way.

1. BTW, for placing less dense forest I created a new drawing tool. To do that I first went to the "Symbols in area..." command from the Draw menu.

Here you can decide the settings (eg. a small % ,Chance to Place to have less dense symbols... Or the scale and size).

Once you are done save the filling style (a .symfill file). Now you have a "filling style" (not sure that this is the proper therm) that you can use to create yout drawing tool:

In the Drawing tool menu:

Go to the Advanced>>

Here you can first select a tool similar to the one you need. Here I used the Woods Decid

Now click on New and chose a wise name (mine is Terrain Default Woods Decid SF, whis stay for "sparse forest).

Next step will be to click on Command to excecute, which will open this:

On the right of SYMFILLOAD replace the path and the .symfill file name with the one you created at the beginning. In the picture above you can see the one I created for the new drawing tool. I do not have the preview of the tool but it works. 😉

To whoever is more expert than me:

Please, feel free to correct, update and improve this short tutorial!

Glitch