May Symbol Challenge

2»

Comments

• My ship went up somewhere in the north Atlantic Ocean in the spring. First time I had seen it snow sideways. I don't mean bit of the snow moving sideways in the wind. All of it coming at us sideways. We were having a training exercise. Anti-submarine.

• TexTex Traveler

@pkfrye lol. that sounds like Iceland. 20°c and we get out the short shorts. :p (meanwhile in other places people put on wooly sweaters at 30°c in "winter" XD)

pkfrye
  • TexTex Traveler

@JimP oh yes. it frequently rains horizontally here. :p if you're ever in Iceland and the weather forecast says rain, don't bother with an umbrella. You'll just end up doing a Mary Poppins, except probably not as gracefully :p

• heh! That's funny.

In the US, there is a musical named "Oklahoma" and in one of the songs there is a line which is "Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!" To which I add "After Kansas" (which is north of and borders Oklahoma). In Kansas, the rain and snow are known to be blown horizontally across the ground and I have been in the field in both summer and winter with being pelted by rain, sleet, freezing rain (never been sure how that was different from sleet), hail, and snow. It hurts when you get hit in the face by all that stuff. The snow would also form large clumps. Once I off my combat crewman helmet, got out of my tank, got hit in th ear with a big wet wad hit me in the ear and freeze my ear drum, lost my balance, and fell off the tank. Fortunately, the snow was soft. My crew thought it was funny.

pkfryeJimP
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Only been to Iceland once, but it is a nice place. Nature is very interesting. Language is interesting, because it can be somewhat understandable (reading it anyway), once I get all those archaic terms back into my brain.

Weather sounds very familiar. You could just as well have been describing my home city. (Did I leave you enough clues to guess?)

• TexTex Traveler
    edited June 2021

@mike robel lol. I'd say freezing rain is the kind that stings but sleet is more "slappy" :p (cause it's half snow). I've always preferred the snow to the rain because at least with the snow you can dust it off before it seeps into your bones.

@Monsen gee, I suck at geography. You could almost tell me that Dallas was in North Dakota and Salt Lake City was in Delaware. :p I'd be like "oh, cool" XD

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Oh, well, all I know about the 4 places you just listed is that they are in the US somewhere... Probably..... :)

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I'm equally expert at US geography!

I'm learning a lot about Iceland, though. I have a fascination with volcanoes...

• TexTex Traveler

@Monsen or Labrador or Lofoten, or something. :p

@Loopysue cool. We have some of those. :p As long as you stick with geology and flora and fauna and stuff you'll be fine. Don't read any hype about "liberal heaven" crap. It doesn't exist. :p

Loopysue
  • @mike robel sounds like you visited Ft. Riley in the "off season." I had M.I.L.E.S. training there way back when. Nice weather about 3 weeks out of the year. Perfect place for an Army post LOL.

mike robel
  • @pkfrye Actually, I was there from 1980-1984 and again from 1990-1992, serving as a Maintenance Officer, S-4, and Company Commander in 1-34 Armor/1st Brigade, then the DIV Armor training officer, then as S-3Air and company commander in 4-37AR/2nd Brigade. When I came back to Fort Riley I was a Division G-3 Operations Officer and and then S-4 of the 2nd Brigade. I was also a company commander and S-3Air in 2-37 Armor in Germany from 1984-1987. :)

KS is nice, except when its not.

[Deleted User]
  • edited June 2021

@mike robel I was enlisted, regular Army from 1977-1980, HHC 3rd Bn 60th Infantry as an 05C Radio Teletype Operator out of Ft. Lewis Washington. I rode and had air conditioning/heat while others walked LOL. The rest of my time was as a 19D Scout/Recon instructor assigned to 1/322 CAV, Army Reserve out of Omaha from 1980 to 1985 when I got married and shortly thereafter had a two week traing stint at Fort Hood. After I returned from training I was informed by my wife that I wouldn't be reenlisting :-)

mike robel[Deleted User]
  • I happen to know that Fort Hood is nice and warm in the summer time. :-)

• @JimP yeah, and the zombie Longhorns wander into the barracks areas late in the afternoon and early evening so that's fun too!

• I am old enough to remember when the two lakes didn't exist. Lake Belton was built in the 1950s, and Stillhouse Hollow Lake was built in the 1960s. People use them for recreation, but they are also flood control dams. There used to several small towns in the valley that is Lake Belton. They were moved out by US-190. From what my grandfather said, they were not happy about it.

pkfrye