Community Atlas - Forlorn - Bleakness - The Craig dungeons and environs

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2021

A bit better main area/environs map. 900 pixel jpg, 2000 in gallery.

The Ghosts, a mesa area that howling was heard coming from. A professor of ghotly studies and two assistants went there to fnd out what was causing the sounds. Their main group was back in the Discontent Three. He sent a carrier pigeon back with a message claiming they had found a rock with several small holes in it, that must be the source of the sounds. He would arrive there in 3 to 5 days, depending on the weather.

The main group waited a month, the three never arrived. No search was made for them.

The Deadly Mesas area has a number of pitfalls, cracks in the rocks, and loose rocks over head.

Haunted Mesas seems to be haunted by apparitions.

Loopysue[Deleted User]
  • Better, though is there anyway of adding 'diversity' to the background.

• That is the local terrain. I could add some bitmap fills on top of that.

On my cell.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Some fills to make some slight variations would be nice. You can even use the SOLID XX fills to slightly lighten or darken parts of it to create variation. And perhaps there is a tiny spot of grassland somewhere in that wasteland, just to crack up the monotony a bit.

• I'll look and see if i can find some prairie grass symbols. Ah, scrub lands. I'll check on that.

• I found a more sandy looking scrub. Scrublands_MS.

900 pixel jpg, 2000 in gallery.

Loopysue
  • Oh, I'll be out camping later this month. So I will try and get this done before then.

• 18 days later
  • My apologies, but I am more tired this year than 2 years ago. So, I'll finalize these maps when I can.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I don't think anyone should ever have to apologise for having a good time :)

JimP
  • It was sort of relaxing, but some bits were not. But overall it was fun.

• Typing this up. Have two of the three dungeons done.

• Cool clear water, water. But very little here.

east of the Caldera in Churning Mountains. The Craig environs.

A rather bleak area, looks like it rusted centuries ago, and got worse from that. Three small villages and a partially protective tower nearby each. Gardens are typically, a pile of rocks. If you can call that a garden. Not much grows here.

Off to the west is a caldera on an ancient volcano. Some say there is a village in there, even though it is not cool. Not much breeze reaches that village. While those that live in the Discontent Three villages would prefer much less wind than they get.

Rarely a group of adventurers will show up at one of the villages looking for a place to conquer and find riches. The villagers point to The Craig. Rarely do the adventurers return.

The Craig approaches

The occasional tumbleweed is all that moves by day in this area. But don't bring such things up to the botanists in the large city off in the distance. They have stated 'there are no weeds that tumble and roll'. The local would argue with that false claim, but they don't want to get in an argument with people who don't have to deal with tumbleweeds.

There are a few cacti growing here. Mostly stunted as well, but there are patches of it that take over large areas. It is best to go around such plant groupings.

The Deadly Mesas. No one who goes there has ever returned.

The Ghosts. A small area of hills that seem to appear and disappear.

Haunted Mesas. Fine for a walk I suppose. But do not play checkers with a ghostly being who challenges those living who walk here.

abandoned keeps. There were once four keeps who guarded The Craig and the Cave Inn. They were overwhelmed by some evil force many years ago. Some claim they have seen flickering lights in one or more of them, on a moonless night.

Loopysue
  • The Former Cave Inn.

A former Inn in a cave. Now over run by various evil beings.

1) Entrance room. 70' x 30' x 10' high Two cauldrons, two benches, five chairs, and a rug. They appear to be new, but unused.

2) The Museum. Not much left here. A fish tank mostly fileld with mold. A smoldering brazier and a small cabinet.

3) a large cave. The former swimming pool. some rock debris fallen from the ceiling. Some odd looking plants that don't seem to need sunlight. But they are typically green like surface plants.

3A) a cave-passageway. wood debris. Rubbish blocks the way into passageway 28. wood debris blocks the hallway that leads to room 16. The other hallway is open.

4) Guest room. 40' x 30' x 10' Looks freshly furnished. A bed, rug, bath tub, jake, a dressing table. Two storage cabinets. Debris of wood, cloth, a wood bowl, and a skeleton. No chairs.

5) Guest room. 40' x 30' x 6' Bed, rug, fireplace, curtains, jake and chair, wood debris, a dressing table and a chair. The fireplace is warm to the touch, but any ashes and wood hhave apparently been removed.

6) Guest room. 40' x 30' x 20' Looks freshly furnished. Bed, rug, dressing table and chair, fireplace. Wood debris with skeleton and some cloth.

7) Guest room. 20' x 40' x 10' Looks freshly furnished. Jake and rug out in the open. The curtain looks like it has been moved to its current location. A bed and 3 boxes.

8) Dinning Room. Circular 72' x 20' The three bulls and three skeletons, along with a small pig. The pig is the most dangerous, and most hungry. There were four bulls. Chairs without tables, and four tables wit ix chairs each. A smaller table with three chairs. Secret door to the west, push up to open.

9) linen closet. 30' x 50' x 10' Eight storage cabinets with rotted sheets and rotted pillow cases in them. A smal lpile of wood debris. Three spear boxes with spears in them. The secret door hides a short passage with a chest in it. Push down to open the secret door from this room. The hallway doesn't go into this small passageway, but it will sound hollow when the wall is tapped.

10) kitchen. 50' x 100' x 15' Two burners, one has had something awful smelling cooked on it recently. Two food preparation benches and various kitchen knives and other tools. Two storage cabinets on the west side. Six small tables scattered about the room.

11) Armorer's room. 30' x 40' x 10' with a hole in the ceiling. A burner with a pile of coal. Two cheaply made tar and wood storage boxes.

12) Storage. 30' x 30' x 10' Three chairs and six chests. A skeleton on the floor.

13) Unknown purpose. 30' x 30' x 10' Wood debris.

14) Unknown purpose. Could have been a guard room at one time. A skeleton and wood debris.

15) Possible store room. 40' x 40' x 10' Wood debris. A crate of decaying yelllow fruit. Nine small crates.

16) Storage. 40' x 30' x 10' brick floor. Some bricks might be loose. Nine boxes and a former resident of the Inn.

17) odd-shaped room. About 80' x about 110' x 10' wood debris. Two curtains. A skull carved on the floor that glows a sickly green. A recently placed torch.

17A) 30' x 30' x 10' Another recently placed torch. Wood debris with a skeleton under it. A chest and a box.

18) Barracks for the guards. Too far away to protect the entrance. Seven beds and rugs. Seven storage cabinets. Debris with possible former guards under the piles.

19) Weapons storage. 30' x 30' x 10' Mostly empty boxes, but there are a few swords and spears here. Four chairs. And a torch that is about to go out.

20) Treasury. 80' x 50' x 10' Where the guest payments were kept. This rom is behind several secret doors and passageways.

21) 70' x 40' x 10' Three zombies, four chests, some wood debris.

22) Circular room. 40' x 10' The spiral stairs go up, but just past the ceiling, the construction has stopped.

23) Storage. Three wood barrels.

24) Storage room. empty of all but dust.

25) Storage room. empty of all but dust and spider webs.

26) Storage room. empty of all but dust. Scratches on the floor, like something heavy was dragged across it.

27) Storage room. empty of all but dust. Has an odd smell to it. Not rotted, but close to it.

28) A passageway that goes off to somewhere. Could it go to The Crawling Caves ?

Deep Dark dungeon. A bit tougher in that some passageways are well hidden or require digging to complete.

1) Entrance. large room. Two corpses. Three bugbears. Wood debris. A short passageway, hidden behind a secret door, that almost reaches room 10. A short south passage that stops just short of room 5.

2) 50' x 55' x 10' the blue items are ghotly furniture. Two, two seater, jakes. A circular floor tile that shows the location of the secret door. Push on the left side of the wall near the door, and it will open. Three storage cabints. A fireplace.

3) Mold and ant room. 30' x 70' x 10' mold, rock debris, a cage with a terap floor. Two green ants and a green bull. Are they real ? Or are they plants ?

4) A trap and chest room. Two cages, four open pits, and three chests. The passageway into this room will require digging.

5) 38' x 48' x 12' An old bar room. Blue furniture are ghostly items. Four amphorae, two chests, and a table. One the tables are six bottles. Will require digging to get into this room.

6) 34' x 33' x 10' Five boxes, and two crates. Two giant beatles. Noise in room 1 might attract them into room 1.

7) 30' x 30' x 15' An apothecary that moves slightly. Two crates.

8) 45' x 48' x 10' An open pit, a chest. Four giant beetles.

9) 45' x 45' x 10' Two green trees. Three apothocaries that move slightly when approached. A cracked floor. A skeleton. Secret door that connects to passageway 19.

10) 25' x 25' x 18' empty except for the circular tile piece that will rotate slightly is stood on for more than a minute.

11) 27' x 25' x 30' Two zombies. A grate on what looks like a solid floor. Small chest.

12) 36' x 15' circular room. Portcullis. Wood debris. Regular brazier on one side. A brazier that looks like it might be part of a statue on the other side. Secret door behind the second brazier.

13) 38' x 38' x 10' Ten skeletons. Three grates that look like they are on a solid floor.

14) 30' x 30' circular room. Two lit braziers and a pool of greenish water.

15) 30' x 10' circular room. Five giant rats guard this brazier.

16) Treasure room. 20' x 30' x 10' Room 18 must be dug to reach 16 and 17. Six chests, several busted leather bags of coins and jewels.

17) Former treasure room. 20' x 30' x 10' The three crates are probably empty.

18) A passageway that dead ends; however, tapping on the wall nearest the circular floor tile will go off a hollow sound.

19) A passageway that goes off to The Crawling Caves ?

Loopysue
  • Whispering Waters.

Entrance passageway has a skull carved on the floor. It glows blue.

1) odd shaped room. Three skeletons appear to be guuarding a chicken in a cage. There is an ogre around the corner. Secret door, push to the right.

2) 30' x 30' x 10. A chest in each of three corners. A rabid chicken hiding behind the broken table.

room 3) 60' x 70' x 10' two cages. One has a skeleton, and the other a mostly eaten green apple. North secret door: push down on the wall. East secret door: push up then down to open.

room 4) 30' x 50' x 20' stone golem protecting a chest and a trunk. Broken table.

5) 30' x 40' x 10' an arrow of skeletons pointing to a broken bench. A chest. The secret door should be propped open by an iron spike.

6) 30' x 50' x 10' 3 skeletons gathered around a pit, with blue flames. What does that mean ? Hydrogen. Don't put out the flames if you have a lantern or torch.

7) L-shaped room hidden behind a secret door. Push on the left side to open.

8) 30' x 50' x 12' Various broken furniture debris. A large mold. Don't wave at it.

9) 40' x 60' x 30' wood and rock debris. Did something move under the large wood piece ?

10) 30' x 55' x 10' a set of broken benches and some skeletons. It looks like something in the 3 urns attacked.

11) 60' x 50' x 25' the word 'EMPTY' carved on the floor in runes. Bwahahaha ! Doesn't mean anything, but it could.

12) 50' x 60' x 10' blood splatters on the floor,=. Chest on the stones in the water. Secret door leads to a passageway going to room 10.

12A) 10' x 20' x 10' An ogre waits.

12B) 20' x 20' x 10' a corpse in room 12B with a slightly glowing green feather next to it.

12C) odd-shaped room. A blue glowing skull on the floor.

13) 130' x 30' x 10' a water feature. Two stone golems guarding a chest and two trunks. Hidden behind a secret door.

14) L-shaped room. Dusty, otherwise empty.

15) 50' x 50' x 20' Eight barrels. Two jars.

16) A cave. Looks like fungi, or rocks, are marking a path. The wood debris can be easily broken up for firewood or a club. The characters may need that later on. A) leads to The Crawling Caves. B) leads off to a cave with a deep rift in it, a dead end.

The Crawling Caves.

A) an evil idol. Two thatched huts. Two fallen yellow pillars. Two skeletons, maybe former priests ? A nearby passageway is blocked by a rock.

B) A rock blocks the passageway. Careful of the small rift nearby. The skeleton may or may not be undead. A nearby corpse.

C) A large spider web. Where is the spider ? A large skeleton of some large animal. A freshly started brazier. Three columns and a broken table.

D) A sand area in this passageway. Very difficult to walk on.

E) broken table. Six door pieces. What do they go to ? A smaller animal skeleton.

F) Another big spider web.

G) A passageway blocked by a boulder.

H) A redoubt ? A defensive wall ? No skeletons nor signs of a fight.

That is it.

MonsenLoopysue
  • Any suggestions, additions, corrections before I submit next week ?

edited June 2021

Here we go. 6 maps, and 6 text files separated out.

747 kilobytes for all of it in a zip file.

@Monsen

June 8, 2021, zip deleted due to errors.

Loopysue
    edited May 2021

Thanks. I'll get to this in a couple of days. Please remind me if I forget.

Thanks Jim. I've been a bit busy with work, so I haven't gotten to it yet. Got a submission from Wyvern on the backlog too.

• No problem. We all get busy.

edited June 2021

@JimP

Trying to process these, but I am getting confused by your overland maps.

In particular the scale of The Craig Environs.

According to the scale bar the map is about 300 by 200 miles, but this is a zoomed in map from "The Craig" which the entire map is 5000 by 3000 feet (about 1 by 0.5 miles). Based on the parent map (caldera environs in the atlas), the scale of "The Craig" maps appears correct, which leaves the scale of "The Craig Environs" way off. I consider if you just had written miles instead of feet by accident, but that leave the main hill, the craig itself as only about 80 feet, while the parent map has it at about 400. 400 is already quite small by itself, considering your dungeons themselves are about that size each.

• Just got home. I'll check them.

edited June 2021

Okay, I checked them. Just drop The_Craig.fcw and its text file.

Use this updated The_craig_environs.txt

east of the Caldera in Churning Mountains. The Craig environs.

The_Craig_environs.fcw

A rather bleak area, looks like it rusted centuries ago, and got worse from that. Three small villages and a partially protective tower nearby each. Gardens are typically, a pile of rocks. If you can call that a garden. Not much grows here.

Off to the west is a caldera on an ancient volcano. Some say there is a village in there, even though it is not cool. Not much breeze reaches that village. While those that live in the Discontent Three villages would prefer much less wind than they get.

Rarely a group of adventurers will show up at one of the villages looking for a place to conquer and find riches. The villagers point to The Craig. Rarely do the adventurers return.

The occasional tumbleweed is all that moves by day in this area. But don't bring such things up to the botanists in the large city off in the distance. They have stated 'there are no weeds that tumble and roll'. The locals would argue with that false claim, but they don't want to get in an argument with people who don't have to deal with tumbleweeds.

There are a few cacti growing here. Mostly stunted as well, but there are patches of it that take over large areas. It is best to go around such plant groupings.

Haunted Mesas. Fine for a walk I suppose. But do not play checkers with a ghostly being who challenges those living who walk here.

abandoned keeps. There were once four keeps who guarded The Craig and the Cave Inn. They were overwhelmed by some evil force many years ago. Some claim they have seen flickering lights in one or more of them, on a moonless night.

I moved the entrance to Deep Dark. Using the environs map, The Craig is about 60 miles across.

The attachment link has disappeared. I'll post this and try again.

I had to browse away after saving and come back to this page. Now the attachment and image buttons are back.

edited June 2021

But this still makes it crash with the Caldera Environs already in the atlas. According to this map, the distance between the Discontent Three and The Craig is only a few hundred feet. And this is correctly represented in "The Craig" map.

But this map "The Craig Environs" end up saying the discontent three is off the map border to the south, meaning over 100 miles away, which obviously completely in oposition to the existing map which have already established that The Craig is a rather tiny location.

Also note that the entire Island of "The Bleakness" is only about 200 miles across at it's widest point. Your current "Craig environs" is 300 miles, larger than the island.

JimP
  • A rather bleak area, looks like it rusted centuries ago, and got worse from that. Three small villages and a partially protective tower nearby each. Gardens are typically, a pile of rocks. If you can call that a garden. Not much grows here.

The occasional tumbleweed is all that moves by day in this area. But don't bring such things up to the botanists in the large city off in the distance. They have stated 'there are no weeds that tumble and roll'. The locals would argue with that false claim, but they don't want to get in an argument with people who don't have to deal with tumbleweeds.

I changed the environs map. Left the grid so easier to tell distances. I took out the abandoned keeps symbols and text.

I moved The Whispering Waters over to a mesa. And increased the size of the mesa.

900 pixel jpg.

Yea, that's going to work out much better scale-wise.

Note that I also had to resize your haunted mountain region map from the other set. According to Quenten's map, Western Hill Fort and Traraise Faire is about 130 miles apart, while your map had them at 12. That one was a rather simple rescale followed by editing the scalebar text, but please keep in mind that scale is important for the atlas. I need the tools like distance and such to give me the correct measurements when I add stuff to the atlas.

• Okay. I apparently didn't even think to look at the previous maps. My apologies.

I left the squares in for scale... but they can be hidden on the Atlas.

edited June 2021

I thought I measured the distance from the hill fort to the caves, but I got it wrong.

I likely need to take a break.