Inn/Tavern battlemap (WIP)

This is the first floor of the somewhat upscale Inn/Tavern, The Ungrateful Waif, located in the Redwind District of the trade city of Rickensbrough. Rickensbrough is located in a saddle point in a mountain pass that leads between two countries, and facilitates trade between them. As such, there are many inns within the city limits, and this is just one of them. Obviously, the owner considers himself a bit of a landscaping aficionado.

This is pretty much the first map I've made that I'm going to actually finish. I'm still pretty much a noob at this and I'm learning techniques. Anyway, this floor is almost done, but I'm not sure I really like the torches on the walls, and I'd like to find some lanterns in this style. Does anyone know of any lanterns that would fit in DD3 Color style? It would be nice if I had any talent as a digital artist...

Also, does anyone know of some alternate carpet symbols? The ones provided in the style are nice, but I wonder if something round might be nice for this map.

MonsenLoopysueBlackYetisimianorganismDaltonSpence[Deleted User]MattyEHRalfLillhansjmabbott

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

That's a really good map elezriata - and "Hi" from Sue Daniel ;)

Have you heard about the Vintyri Collections? These are huge collections of free third party art assets that might help with things like more variation of rugs and furniture.

The links for all the assets can be found here:

Where the Vintyri collections in particular are concerned please read the installation instructions really carefully.

elezraitaarsenico13
  • Thank you! There are a ton of great symbols in these. I had never heard of that before, and it wasn't too hard to install everything. I think it's working correctly. I'm especially happy to have found some lanterns for the stone fence posts out front.

• The map looks great, but The Ungrateful Waif seems like an odd name choice for an upscale inn. I would expect a humourous name to be a more mid-range or downscale place while an upscale inn should (in my mind) have a more grandiose name. It's a cool name (I love a good creative inn/tavern name) but it doesn't read as upscale to me.

Probably just my personal perferences but I thought I'd throw it out there. ?

I think it must be a personal preference.

There's a very prestigious pub in my home town that is simply called "The George", and another at the other end of the scale called "The Dog". Names are more traditional than significant. The most presumptuous one here in Weymouth is "The Duke of Albany", which is just another pub like the rest with nothing special about it at all.

Before so many pubs were closed we had a lot of rather more interesting names, including "The Mermaid's Tale"