Grimdark Fantasy (renamed "Darklands") - development thread

123457»

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited March 2021

Yes, Daniel makes me cringe a bit. I don't have a very pretty surname. But since it's a suggestion I had to add it to the list.

Ralf also pointed out a little while back that my name couldn't really be attached to any one of the styles I've created because they are all part of my personal style, and I totally agree with him on that one.

• @Loopysue - "Shadowlands" and "Borderlands" come with additional baggage from other fantasy-related sources, and which don't really relate to the style of symbols in this style, unfortunately. "Dark Ages" has very time-specific connotations, which don't fit these symbols at all.

"Edge of the Wilds" or "Twilight Realms" seem to work rather well though, assuming the images you've shown in your most recent illustrated posting cover the range of symbols and terrain-looks included in the style.

I'd agree with your later comment that a personal name wouldn't really work here, because your own style clearly isn't limited to just one or other of the PF style-packs you've constructed.

Loopysue

Thanks Wyvern :)

Good point on Shadowlands and Borderlands. I hadn't even begun to think about things like that.

The map I keep showing is like a testing ground in progress that just happens to look a lot more map-like than my normal testing grounds do. So it does contain everything in the style so far, though there are a couple more things I want to add before it's done.

Over on the FB Group page people are unofficially voting by liking the names put forward so far, and I have to say that Darklands is top favourite at the moment.

I'm really not keen on using my name - not even my mother's maiden name ;)

Thanks for the help everyone. It's pretty clear that the favourite name overall between here and the FB Group is Darklands, suggested by Ralf Schemmann.

Now I'm not sure whether to change the name of this thread, or leave it as it is so that people don't get confused! LOL!

• Got a bit confused in checking back as the list of suggestions was far longer than I remembered, but I see you'd edited that post since the last time I was online here! Doesn't help it's now on a different page of course! And it looks as if you did rename the topic ?

Sorry Wyvern! I was constantly adding to the list from the suggestions made on the thread over on the FB Group page.

And I had to rename it. I've got symbols and fills all over the place at the moment, so where I'm moving everything to new main folders called Darklands rather than Grimdark Fantasy, it was just a bit too confusing having the wrong name on the thread every time I came to check it.

• 14 days later

The finished example map...

Darklands is due to be published as the May issue of the 2021 Cartographer's Annual.

MonsenWeathermanSwedenWyvernMedio[Deleted User]DoubleDouble
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Very nice. This is going to be a great style.

• 8 months later
  • Not sure I should post this here or a different thread, but I was playing around with this style today. On the terrain tools on the left, farmland is not listed. However, it is when I click on the advanced. Given there is a sheet for farmland, I am assuming that it should show up in the terrain menu instead of being hidden in the advanced tab only.

edited December 2021

You're right, it should be in the Terrain tools, just like it is in the main drawing tools.

The way CC3 decides which tools appear in each of the subcategories is by its name, and I can't see any difference between "Terrain Default, Farmland" and any of the other tools named "Terrain Default, ...". Either there is a spelling mistake in the name that I am completely blind on, or something else is going on here.

For now it is probably easier to access the drawing tool from the main drawing tool menu. Please can you report this anomaly to Tech Support?