Community Atlas - Elen Daelarion - Zognilak Fortress

Comments

• They aren't on ground level. They are there mainly for arrowcand ballista fire to cover the walls.

Still on my cell. No electricity yet.

• Saturday night, nooo electricity nor any ghosties. No real ones is what I mean.

Nice cool weather for the next several days. No rain.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Did the storm take with it the entire powergrid? You've been without power for many days now. Personally, I am struggling to remember any time the power have been away for hours, I don't think I've ever experienced it being away for days.

Shame about the ghosts though. Without electricity, ghosts should thrive in the darkness.

[Deleted User]
  • Well. The longest I have been without electricity was 2 weeks after a category 4 hurricane on the coast.

Most of the trucks and crews are currently on the coast to put power lines back together. All of it above ground.

Some places up here have electricity. We don't. They have to find all of the breaks, repair them, along with removing trees on the lines. There is a mechanism, no idea what it is called, that acts like a circuit breaker. If it senses current surge caused by a down line, it pops and they have to hunt for the down line.

On the coast the work into the night, up here I haven't heard of them doing that.

I keep recharging my cell phone using my uninterruptable power supply. But the beeping letting me know there is no voltage coming into the house would wake my sister and her family up so I have to wait until later. So signing off before my battery cell goes off.

Night.

• Take care, Jim ?

And watch out for those ghosts ?☠️

• My ups is depleted, so are all my cell phone chargers, I think. So hopefully they get to our street and bring our electrons back into moving down the wires soon.

edited November 2020

You might opt for IP over Avian carrier. Those don't need electricity, and was successfully tested in my home town.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

You have let the services know you don't have any power, haven't you?

• They were out here 2 days ago and cleared the broken lines so the tree could be cut up. The road was partially blocked until then.

County I live in has 29% of customers without electricity.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Oh I see.

I once waited and waited for the same thing, only to discover that everyone else had been put back on the grid a day earlier, and that there was a secondary fault that only affected my house. They hadn't realised that because I simply hadn't thought to tell them that I was still waiting.

• You hear a distant wheezing computer and/or generator. A truck goes by, and 5 more trucks go by.

( Not posted are a few hundred words of an ancient car, computer, and wi-fi hardware trying to connect to something, anything. )

"Hey ! Over here we have no power rangers ! I mean electricity !"

They continue on... one comes back later, and works on our power line.

And Nothing Happens ! They drive down the road. We can hear their truck engine down there.

Then, wait for it, Electricity !

Well, I can stop looking for a van DeGraf Generator in my mind... Wouldn't have got me internet anyways.

I am Back !

( Just ignore the next storm out in the Atlantic Ocean. )

I am charging cell phone charger batteries. Found several I thought were lost.

Aooogah !

Oh, hello.

LoopysueMonsen[Deleted User]

Welcome back to the future, where people use the magic of technology to see as well during nighttime as day.

JimP[Deleted User]Loopysue
  • Oh, things have improved since my childhood. Cloud up, my grandmother and I would get out the coal oil lanterns, that's kerosene for those that don't know what coal oil might be.

No rain, distant thunder, and the lights would go out. Lights on, lights off, off and several minutes or hours later, lights on.

But I hear things have improved out west where that took place.

• My piece of the electrical grid fails at the drop of a hat. When its the only one failing, it gets fixed pretty quick. (its only about 10 houses, we are surrounded somehow by people who do not lose power, numbering about 100.) If there is a big power loss, we are among the last to get fixed, because there are only 10 of us and they prioritize to the highest numbers first.

Just one part of living in a semi-tropical island paradise 20km from the old space shuttle pads...and 12km from the beach and surfing (which I don't do anymore. sigh).

• I found some mistakes in these maps, I'll get some rest over the next day or two, and then finish them up, correcting as I go.

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2020

You are absolutely correct. I thought you meant the upper level, but the ground level had such entrances to.

My mistake.

And here is the corrected ground level map. And a jpg per request on the Gallery. I'll still be using pngs on my web sites as suggested by Allyn. I hope that is the correct name. My memory is terrible with names.

Any corrections or additions on these maps is welcome. I hope to submit this to the Atlas soon. Hurricane Eta may be in my area this coming weekend.

[Deleted User]LoopysueDaltonSpence
  • Wow Quenten. That was quick.

• I know lots of folks are busy, but without more comments on the maps, ( things that need fixing ), I'll work on the text and submit next week.

• first map in this set is:

Zognilak Fortress area map.

Congolar an elf village protected by two towers.

Darjak a ruined hamlet built by the dwarves in Zognilak Fortress as a place to sell various items for trade. It hasn't been rebuilt since the last attack on it.

Lothmar an elven village, with 3 defensive towers.

The Blue Henge glows blue on the nights of the New moon. Those who go to watch it, come back very scared and refuse to return.

The elves sent help with Darjak was attacked, none returned.

There are small groups of trees in this area. Water is scare for travelers. It is roumered that there are kobolds and a few orcs are in the area.

The stout fortress is well defended. Any travelers can request a stop there, but unless they are dwarves, are not allowed into the fortress. They must camp outside the walls. Extra guards will be posted on the walls by request.

900 pixel wide jpg. I'll place a 2000 pixel wide jpg in my gallery.

Raiko
  • Fortress ground level map. The room sizes don't take into consideration the wall thicknesses.

Main Entrance A is flanked by two open pits. Thick walls and large towers. Iron gates at the entrance. The Old Road is seldom traveled.

1) Interior of walls. Four ballistae and a small house for the watch's food and drink.

2) Great Hall and Museum. 97' x 66'

Three minotaur heads, urns and cabinets containing momentos of previous battles.

Seating for those who want to trade or visit. Three fireplaces to keep the room warm.

The narrow passageway from room 3 to the west side of room 2 is for fighters to come into the side is there is need.

3) 48' x 48' Meeting room. Where discussions by the dwarves about defense of the fortress, or just talking over old times, takes place.

4) 48' x 48' One of two ready strike force rooms for assembly of fighters protecting the fortress. There are guards stationed here to block anyone from entering this way.

5) 98' x 47' Assembly area: for the second ready attack force in room 13. The ballista is to defend this passageway against incursion.

Several spear boxes, a box of large arrows for the ballista, and benches for the off duty ballista crew to rest on.

6) 25' x 100' barracks of those who guard the up and down spiral stairs. This is the only way down and up.

7) 73' x 48' families of the dwarves. Chairs and tables. Games for the kids. Mostly about war and how to defend/attack, but some about trees and water. The later supplied by the elves.

8) odd-shaped redoubt. A final defense of this fortress that has never been used; however, the dwarf kids are taught tactics here. So it does serve a purpose.

9) 48' x 23' dining room. Tables with chairs.

10) 48' x 24' Kitchen. Two stoves, a fireplace. Two cutting tables. Three store rooms of food, spare utensils, mugs, and plates.

11) 75' x 23' barracks. Sleeping quarters for some of the dwarves. Yes, the passageway to the redoubt is a secret door, but all of the dwarves know it is there. So not much of a secret.

12) 48' x 23' Storage of various non-food items. Clothes, weapons, etc.

13) 73' x 23' Ready strike force barracks. Each dwarf keeps his armor under his bed.

14) 10' x 10' a secret room, a small treasury

15) 10' x 20' weapons storage

16) a small weapons room, may contain magic weapons. Behind a secret door.

17) 10' x 10' Weapons storage.

18) Sinkhole, currently undiscovered by the dwarves.

19) 72' x 38' A dining room. Two fireplaces.

20) an area of bones. Unknown to the dwarves.

21) 10' x 48' Entrance hall.

MonsenLoopysueRaiko
  • The next two maps are going to take me longer to fixup than I expected, so please go ahead and comment on these two if you have the time.

• Went out for lunch and shopping. Later.

• Map 3 of 4.

Upper level of Zognilak Fortress

There are spikes in the front of these tunnels. There are two spare ballistas in room 6.

1) West, outside the walls, defense tunnel. One ballista and crew. Pit trap in front of it on the ground level.

2) West, Inside the walls, defense tunnel. One ballista and crew.

3) Center defense tunnel. Murder holes so they can drop stones or throw spears on any attacker coming in the ground floor entrance.

4) East, inside defense tunnel. One ballista and crew.

5) East, outside the walls, defense tunnel. One ballista and crew. Pit trap on the ground level.

6) Ready strike force barracks. A small kitchen and dining room area, along with bunks, so they don't have to be far from their posts during attacks.

6A) Fireplace, 3 work benches for repairs, and storage barrels. Some barrels are set up as defensive works, 2 spear boxes.

6B) Beds, work benches, a dinig table, storage barrels, 2 spear boxes and 2 ax boxes. A weapons rack.

Note that there are few beds or furniture that can be fired upon from the adjoining passageways.

7) Passageway, looks like it has been cleaned more than once by scrapping something off the floor. Could it have been blood ?

8) Ready Room. Two ballista. One guards the down spiral stairs. One guards against intrusion from the doors. Spear boxes. Chairs for the relief crew, and crates of food and water.

9) barracks. Beds, rugs, two fireplaces, a ballista, a spare weapons rack, 2 fireplaces.

9A) Emergency food and water storage. A few spare armor sets.

9B) Two weapons racks. A few shields mounted on the other wall.

10) barracks. Beds and rugs. Two tables with chairs. A fireplace.

10A) Storage for emergency food. Shields on the wall.

10B) Two crates with water skins, two weapons racks.

11) Kitchen storage Food on shelves and in crates. A spear box for the kitchen crew, if needed. This room is always cool. Food doesn't spoil, but the dwarves have no idea why. ( It is the Bones nearby. )

12) Dining room. 6 tables with chairs, two fireplaces. Two spear boxes, a table for deserts.

13) kitchen. Three stoves, food preparation and about to be served tables. One large table they got from some adventurers. It formerly belonged to an ogre. The legs were cut down so the dwarves could use it. Two fireplaces with meat roasting gear.

For some reason, about once a game year, a boone shows up in the food. The dwarves cannot figure out where it comes from. It isn't any animal known to them, or the elves. Not a dwarf nor an elf bone.

Could it be The Bones trying to take them over ? Hmmm ?

900 pixel wide jpg. I'll be putting the 2000 pixel jpg in my gallery.

[Deleted User]LoopysueRaiko
  • Fourth and final map for this set.

Sub-level

1) Storage. Crates, grate over a drain, 2 weapon racks, chests.

2) A large cave for storage. Some guards live here on a rotating basis. Chests, 2 campfires, crates, beds. Mostly food and weapons are stored here.

3) barracks. Guard the up spiral stairs to ground level and the upper level. Two fireplaces. Beds, storage boxes. Table and chairs.

4) A passageway in progress for another storage room. Some crates stored here temporarily.

5) Storage. Crates, boxes, barrels. Shelves probably contain small weapons like daggers and hand axes. Possibly some scrolls as well. The doors are kept locked.

6) undiscovered cave. Ocaisionaly guards in room 2 can hear high pitched sounds from this direction. The sounds are heard approximately once or twice a year.

7) The Bones.

8) A large water feature, the bottom of the sink hole on the ground level.

9) Storage. Crates and boxes. Two weapons racks.

900 pixel map in jog format. As before, I'll put the 2000 pixel jpg in my gallery.

LoopysueRaiko
  • If there are no comments, I know I have a few misspelled words, but Tuesday I will submit the four maps and associated text then.

Quenten, if there is any additional text you want me to include, please let me know here.

Thanks !

• Thanks. I'll get it submitted after correcting my spelling. Tuesday.

• Lost power again. On my cell. Sounds like a transformer failure.

• And I'm back, it was a squirrel testing the line.

Loopysue