Community Atlas - Elen Daelarion - Zognilak Fortress

Comments

• Added a redoubt and a barracks. Redoubt is near that sinkhole. I'll need to add some doors, and stairs, in. And some doors are secret doors. And add some smaller storage areas.

MonsenLoopysue[Deleted User]
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited October 2020

Added furniture and stairs.

Loopysue
  • Upper level. Since the corridors that go to the outside of the mountain partially go past the rock, I'll have to redo these using the polygon room tool. But for now, here we go.

Two corridors help protect the outside of the walls. Two protect the inside of the walls. And the one above the ground level corridor have murder holes in them.

Note the bones accumulation is at least up to this level. I think a separation of 20 feet between ground level ceiling and floor of this upper level is good, except for the murder hole corridor which might be less.

MonsenLoopysue[Deleted User]
  • Added furniture to this level. Still not quite certain what I'm going to do with the large room over the castle wall areas. What symbols. CSUAC2 is good for some of the ones I have used so far for this level. Along with Dungeon SS2A.

Right hand barracks is not actually a barracks, but a two ballista room that dominates the spiral stairs going down to the ground level. Three spear boxes, a weapons rack, and several crates holding ballista bolts. The chairs are for seating most of the crews. The rest keep watch.

The two barracks at the top, one has a ballista with two crates of ammo. Nice fireplaces, along with tables and chairs that can quickly be turned into barriers. Weapon racks in the open rooms. Behind locked doors are various resupply boxes and crates.

And this is a close up of the two top barracks.

Close up of the guard room/barracks. I think I have the stairs wrong way around.

Monsen
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

How are you going to get the ballistae out of that room? They do seem to be just as wide as the doorways, if not larger.

• They are staying put as part of the room/level defenses. I'll put additional crew served weapons in the other rooms like the one overlooking the walls.

edited October 2020

Walls on the upper level that protect the walls have been fixed. Ballista and spikes added. Pits in front of some of the protection tunnels added.

Hmmm... unable to upload a 900 pixel wide image at 188 kilobytes. Getting a 500 server error.

I'll put the original size maps up on my web site and post a link to them.

• Try a jpg image. It wouldn't upload either.

Here are my original 2000 pixel wide maps on my alpha web site:

• Here they are.

Detail. Shadows need some work.

LoopysueMonsen[Deleted User]
  • I have some ideas for the sub-level, but I want to think them over before I do a map later this week.

• Upper level, largest room. Note that most items are not in line of sight of the external doors, nor the internal doors.

Room contains; food storage barrels; repair benches; cooking stoves; beds; crates of clothing, tools, and weapons; and eating tables.

And two fireplaces.

How big are those grid squares, Jim?

I'm looking at this map and trying to work out if the furniture is super tiny, or the grid is super huge.

I guess everything is about the right scale, then.

Don't you think the sleeping areas in such a huge space would be cubicles, separate rooms, or at the very least curtained off for a bit of privacy? I would find it quite difficult to fall asleep if there were others sitting around in the same vast room who were still awake and active.

• It all depends upon what your are used to and if you know you need to sleep or not. I fall asleep almost instantly the second I sit on a plane, while waiting in a doctor's office, or if I am sitting some place with nothing to do. I have also slept on top of or inside my tank while artillery fire was outgoing (but never incoming), outside waiting for a meeting, in the back of a truck, and various other assundry places. Sailing ships and British ships (at least) as late as WWII just provided an open space with a hammock for their sailors.

JimP
    edited October 2020

I agree with Mike. But my experience was aboard ship.

I think watchmen would be down by the cliff face, and those just off watch would be back at their bunks. Sleeping area aboard ship was 9 bunks 3 high. A wall. Outside the wall was a table, two chairs, and ironing board and iron, a mirror. A wall on the opposite side. And the same number of bunks on the other side. A stair goes up to the next deck. That is it. Restrooms and showers up one deck. Shared with about 20 other guys. Four sinks and mirrors. 3 toilets. Got used to it.

Oh, and each bunk had a small light for reading, but if someone stayed up too late they would complain rather loudly.

• There is a lot of empty space in that map. Unless you plan on having giants or dragons roaming around you don't need it. If some of that space is meant to be training area it should clearly marked off as such. Large areas of clear floor space in medieval times were difficult because of engineering concerns (wood rather than steel was a major structural element). If the space was built into a natural cavern I could understand it, but the straight line walls indicate it was dug out of solid rock. That takes a lot of effort that the builders wouldn't want to waste on unnecessary space. (BTW rock filled space should probably be on the WALLS sheet.) I have always thought the 5 foot grid space and 10 foot wide hallways used in the old style dungeon maps were a bit extravagant but the designers had the excuse that the dungeon monsters needed room to move around.

• Its one of a series of Elen Daelorian maps. I did add two villages, and one ruin, around the area. Once I finish with this map, other mappers are welcome to add to it.

There really isn't much on Quenten's original map. Some of the maps I made in his series have caves.

• Sub-level. A storage area, an unknown to the dwarves cave, and the sinkhole becomes a small lake.

I presume ventilation as the candles on the table would use up the oxygen. They are on the table with 5 chairs. The stairs go down into the cave. I might add more to this level.

• I have added a large room, reached by a secret passageway, on the upper level.

I think that is it for this location. I haven't been feeling well, blood sugar problems, but I do feel better today. So I will try and submit this later this week.

( Note, my problem has nothing to do with mapping, I just don't get up and exercise at all. That is changing. )

• Added another store room. There is some treasure on this level. I think this will be it unless someone has more input on these maps.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

How does that sink hole and that area of bones come into play? I assume the pool of water is basically at the bottom of the sink hole, but the sink hole does not penetrate up to the top level map, and there is no way to get to it at all. Those bones also look really isolated. How did they get there?

• Good question. I see them as a future menace if the dwarves keep digging. Quenten wanted this to be an active fortress that hadn't been taken over by evil. All of that isn't obvious though.

• My Internet connection is trying to flake out. And Hurricane Zeta is coming by my area close enough we could lose power. I'll be here when I can. Later.

[Deleted User]
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Stay safe, and don't let the hurricane run off with you (or your house)

Loopysue
  • Internet seems to fine for now. Not sure on winds, but we might get 70 mile per hour winds. The original prediction was 40 to 45 miles per hour. Storm is moving fast.

That means less rain, but it has less chance of breaking up as it comes ashore. Which means the winds don't get less.

I'll know from about 9 PM to around 3 AM my time tonight. I am at GMT -5, until Saturday night at 2 AM local. We fall back then.

• MedioMedio Surveyor

Aww i love storms and hurricans. Inside my brick-built house, that is ;)

JimP
  • Still on my cell phone, but the down trees on my road are cleaned up enough that hopefully we get power back tonight. More likely Saturday though

Loopysue

At least you are ok :)

• zace66zace66 Betatester Newcomer

The 2 side entrances... i understand the right one having no guard tower as it has the strike force behind it, but the left entrance leads to the families - that needs some sort of external guarded entrance.