Community Atlas, Forlorn Archipelago, Fisher Island, Moroni Range, local maps

New thread. I asked Remy about this last night and he said it was up to me.

I am doing this because it has become harder for me to keep track of maps in the other thread. It isn't actually closed, I don't have that ability, but please post over here, not in the other thread. Thanks.

Map 1: Moroni Range, South.

Several places have been moved. Ignore the size of the symbols for the towers, castles, and towns. They are just location markers. The sizes are in the detail drawings, not the symbols.

Map 2: There is no map 2.

Map 3: Area around Keeper Tower.

Crows fly distances.

2811 feet between Shoro Town and Stout Tower.

2325 feet between Stout Tower and Moo.

775 feet from Stout Tower to the hills.

1552 feet from Stout Tower to Keeper Tower.

less than 300 feet to the dungeon city entrances from Keeper Tower.

140 feet from the evil head to the human dungeon city entrance.

400 feet from the second evil head to the kobold dungeon city entrance.

105,000 square feet, the Desolate Fens. Not very big, but they can bog down travelers.

about 3 miles from Shoro Town to Starshine Forest.

Yes, they are close. For support.

Map 4: Castle Defender, a Motte and Bailey

Defends roads going into the interior of Starshine Forest. The towers are to help defend this area and backup Castle Defender.

Comments

• edited August 11
    I'll try keeping shop maps right after the town map they belong to.

Map 5: Wrel Tower.

Bill's Store doesn't have a detail map.

Map 6: Bell town. This map has detail maps.

Map 25: Bell shop
  • edited August 11
    Bell shops:

Maps 26 and 27: storage building.

Looks like the text effects need work.

Map 28: bread and cheese shop.
  • edited August 11
    Map 29: Bell repair shop.

Map 7: Moo

no building detail maps.

Map 38: Outstretched Tower and Bell area map
  • WyvernWyvern Traveler
    Jim, if the scales you're showing have nothing to do with the ground scale on the map, it's better to leave them off completely. I would never have guessed you meant the scale to refer ONLY to the size of the symbols (which I think is what your final posting in your previous thread regarding these maps meant). I assume a scale on a map is purely the ground scale, and that's what all my earlier remarks referred to.

Yeah, symbols can be any size you like, providing they're only meant as markers to show the approximate location of the place, but they should always be at least as large as the place they're representing according to the ground scale of the map, otherwise - well, you've seen what confusion that can cause!
  • edited August 11
    No, the scale bar refers to distances, not symbols scale.

Are you thinking of maps like the ones the US Coast and Geodetic Survey makes ? I don't make those.
  • WyvernWyvern Traveler
    OK, so that means my previous comments WERE correct after all, and that the places on Map 3 were much too close together. Is that right?
  • edited August 11
    Posted By: WyvernOK, so that means my previous comments WERE correct after all, and that the places on Map 3 were much too close together. Is that right?
    I posted distances above, and noted they are that close for mutual support.

Other locations, like the Outstretched Tower and Bell I just posted, they are over a mile away from each other.

edit: Would it work better if I moved everything between Keeper Tower and Starshine Forest further down Map 1 ?
  • edited August 11
    The Bell Town map should have been after the Outstretched Tower and Bell area map. I'm just going to leave them where they are.

Map 8: Outstretched Tower.

No detail maps for this tower.

Map 9: Shoro Town

Map 10: Stout Town

• edited August 11
    Map 11: Wrelna Town

No detail maps for this town.

Map 39: Forest Tower and Zosh area Need to fix effects.

Map 12: Zosh

• edited August 11
    Map 17: Forest Tower

Next two are the ruins maps. Should I give them names ?

Map 13: ruins south of Yonder Spring

Map 14: ruins west of Yonder Spring.
  • edited August 11
    Kobold villages.

Map 15: Ost

Map 16: Sud

Map 18: general General Store

14 more maps to go.
  • edited August 11
    Keeper Tower parts.

map 19: ground level. or first level ( refers to different naming between US and Europe. )

Map 20: first or second level.

Map 21: second or third floor
  • edited August 11
    more Keeper Tower parts.

Map 22: Third or fourth level.

Map 23: Top floor.

Map 24: basement
  • edited August 11
    Map 37: Desolate Fens.

No detail maps for this area.

Scale on this map, doesn't match the area covered by these fens on Map 1. This maps they are much larger. No idea what to do.

Map 30: Dungeon City human entrance.

No details for this area.

map 31: Kobold entrance.

No details for this area.
  • WyvernWyvern Traveler
    JimP noted:
    Posted By: WyvernOK, so that means my previous comments WERE correct after all, and that the places on Map 3 were much too close together. Is that right?
    I posted distances above, and noted they are that close for mutual support.

Other locations, like the Outstretched Tower and Bell I just posted, they are over a mile away from each other.
    Sorry, I was meaning the comments posted on the earlier topic. The distances you've noted in this topic were pretty much what I'd estimated for the Map 3 places, certainly, which still feel too close together for the sizes of the settlements they were mapped as - like Shoro Town and Stout Tower, which are both substantial in size, yet are only half a mile or so apart.

Obviously, you can set up the places as you wish, but where the area maps don't show the settlements in their true relation to one another, that can create problems all-round. For instance, at the scale of Map 3, because of the size Shoro and Stout Tower are, it would make more sense to draw their walls to-scale onto that map, and not use symbols for them at all. Or replace the symbols with something like a filled polygon which has the exact shape and correct size of the outline of the walls at the size they are on the Map 3 scaling.

I think too that places as substantial as Shoro and Stout Tower should perhaps be on Map 1 as well.
  • I can move Stout and Shoro down to south of the Contentious Hills. There is an unnamed tower there.

Didn't want to put them on Map 1 in the open area between Keeper Tower and Starshine Forest as I felt it would be too crowded there.
  • edited August 11
    Map 32: Dungeon City, broken grounds.

with and without fog.

Map 33: Dungeon City The Deep, a city.
  • WyvernWyvern Traveler
    Yeah, I appreciate the crowding in the northern area. For the sizes they are though, they seemed too prominent to be ignored, when the 35-foot diameter Keeper Tower is on Map 1! (I know that size doesn't always equal prominence ;) ).
  • Should I move them down south then ? That would mean an area map, bringing the total to 40 maps.
  • edited August 11
    Map 34: an alleged Entrance to this Dungeon City area. Maybe just for the humans, or also an entrance for subterranean denizens. Afterall, that water connects to somewhere else.

Map 35: ruins area of Dungeon City.

Map 36: the small lake, in the center of the area.

I'll have to come up with room descriptions for the numbered areas.
  • WyvernWyvern Traveler
    I suppose I should have looked at the originating map at some stage, in case any of these places are marked on that too.

The other option would be to show maybe just Shoro Town, but not Keeper Tower, on Map 1?
  • Posted By: WyvernI suppose I should have looked at the originating map at some stage, in case any of these places are marked on that too.

The other option would be to show maybe just Shoro Town, but not Keeper Tower, on Map 1?
    I see Shoro as more a supply and rest stop, with Keeper Tower more important. I haven't thought out any possibilities, I just see them that way. Keeper is much closer to the kobolds than the other locations, and very likely suffers more attacks.

I could add a training area near Shoro Town, for replacement troops going to Keeper Tower.
  • That is all of the maps unless I move Stout and Shoro south down to those hills.

Lunch for me, and I may be back later today.
  • WyvernWyvern Traveler
    I suppose I was simply looking at the physical size of the places, rather than their potential importance. Bigger things and places tend to feature on maps covering larger areas overall, BUT more important places always get added to maps where showing those is necessary as well.

Shoro seems big for just a stopover place, and it has huge stone walls too, however, as also with Stout Tower, while Keeper Tower is really small by comparison, and just a single structure. Shoro also seems to have plenty of space inside its walls for training areas, if necessary.

(I really should try and pay more attention to the other places as well, I know...)
  • I have always had problems deciding on the intermediate maps.

I can do large area maps, and local town maps. It is the maps in between those that give me headaches.

Currently moving Shoro and Stout to south of the Contentious Hills.
  • edited August 12
    Map 1 with Shoro and Stout moved.

I'll work on redo of Map 3.

Map 3: Moo is 3600 feet from Keeper Tower.

Next I'll be making Map 40 for the area around Shoro and Stout.

Map 40. Maybe put a road that stops before it reaches the ruins off to the south east.

I'll have to sit down and try and remember the ideas I had for the background of this area. So submitting these maps will be somewhat more delayed.
  • I would appreciate any comments by folks who haven't commented yet.

On my cell
  • MonsenMonsen 🖼️ 12 images Mapmaker Administrator
    For maps 22 and 23, it looks like the three symbols are above the white fader, and not below it like on the other maps.

A general comment to most of your maps, you do place the scale bar and compass rose a bit haphazardly. It looks much better when these are in a corner, edge, even if they overlap something (not something important obvisouly)

40 is missing a scale bar

32, 36: Edges of those lakes look a bit harsh. Tried using an edge fade on it?

36: The numbers 6 and 7 are behind the symbols. Guess the symbols are on the wrong sheet. Guess it is the bars, I can see a tiny overlap with the bars on 34 too.

1: Now with most towns moved to this map, perhaps some roads?
  • currently working on Map 1. I'll also have to go back and check the local area maps for roads going places.

Map 40... well, it isn't there, I thought I put one on it.

I'll have to check maps 32 and 36. Likely I made it too strong.

I'll try to fix all of that.
  • edited August 13
    I think I got Map 1 done correctly.

I have checked some of the local area maps, for roads. I'll start down the list to see if the roads need fixing, and the other things you mentioned Remy and Wyvern.

Map 3, roads updated. I think I need to make the Dungeon City entrances text larger. What do you think ?

Map 4: Defender Castle, no changes.

Map 5: Wrel Tower, no changes.

Map 6: Bell, added a compass rose