Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2020

No worries, Jim :)

All you do is right click the fractalize button and pick Straight to Smooth, and then click each of the fractalized polys, and do it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Oh, I did the fractalize and selected smoothing.

I can back up a few maps if I have to... I'm to the point where when I make changes, it fails out to desktop. I only have a 1.6 GHz CPU... and it doesn't like more than 2 or 3 fractalization clicks.

Anyway, here is the map with fractal smoothing.
      DF_area01_0020b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The bottom hills look good, but some of the others don't seem to be smoothed.
    And a great idea using that annual for the non-ruined inn/hostel'
    Perhaps add a few workers' tents at the outskirts of the village, near the non-ruined inn, for those working on the reconstruction.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2020 edited

I haven't seen any smooth hills nor mountains. But I'll change them.

Edit. The ones middle left look much more correct than the rest do, to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2020

I was talking about the contours, and it is just about 'prettiness'. But if you prefer the more jagged look for your contours as being more realistic, then I certainly understand. I was only suggesting, not demanding - sorry if I have given the wrong impression.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I prefer more realistic. While its possible hills are smooth, I have rarely seen such.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Are we talking about contours, or hill shapes?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Hill shapes. Occasionaly I'll see one that is 'smooth', but its very rare. Eastern areas of the US, the Applachians are older than the Rockies, tend to have smoother hills.

I see the area map as more of 'map to see locations and relationships to various locations in the area' type of map rather than a map with details.

Here is my basic list so far.

1) area map
    2) destroyed village
    3) new Inn with an out building or two
    4) The ruined Manse
    5) one tower from the ruins
    6) worker village from the ruins
    7) the Fort's 3 levels includng the foot bath.

So 9 maps.

Some of the that I am going to have to think about and maybe try a few sketches before I settle on a map I'm willing to show.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2020

Don't think I'll be doing much more to the overall area map. An extra battle area in the northern hills can be mapped by someone else.

Added text.
      DF_area01b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Maybe make some of the symbols a little larger, Jim? And also make the road line a little more obvious perhaps? The battle symbols look a bit too dominant just now to my eye. While that's reasonable enough - battles can easily happen over quite large areas after all, especially with mobile forces - it would be useful to have similar clarity for the vegetation symbols, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Why so many keeps, Jim?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looks like you're having fun, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Their small town was attacked, they put up defenses while they rebuild.

As for scale... the symbols were at 1.0 even though I selected 'set normal'. So I tried 3, 3.6, 4. and 5 on one or two, something like that. I'll regularize them later on.

This map is 5 miles by 5 miles.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2020 edited

Rescaled trees and battle area symbols. Buildings are 200 feet plus across now.

The 'bumps' are not hills, but are rock and dirt mounds. Some could be burials.
      DF_area01_0036b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2020

Its certainly very interesting seeing what someone else makes with the Ferraris Style. Thanks for sharing, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2020

You're welcome. It could be I did it while tired as well.

Cell phone suggested sleeping after the word while.

Don't think that is possible.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020

Looking better Jim.

Was the battle at the village more major than those in the hills (larger symbol still)?

The "bumps" are presumably all artificial from your comments (from mining, maybe?). Is it worth identifying (perhaps only some of) those that are burial sites with different symbols?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I think the bumps are sand dunes?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2020 edited

The bumps are rocks and dirt... but some could be burial mounds. Particularly the ones in a straight line/lines.

The larger battle locaton symbol on the village is due to a larger area battle.

The village ruins will take care of that, the one in front of the Fort is for that one. The other is left to the user's imagination.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: LoopysueIts certainly very interesting seeing what someone else makes with the Ferraris Style. Thanks for sharing, Jim :)

I felt that since this was a wasteland, and had been attacked in the past, most of the symbols and look wouldn't have been here 'when' the map was made. It shows some progress to the way it was, but not much has been replaced.

I may use that style for some town maps I have in mind for my game world. Of course, with my schedule, no idea when I'll do that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2020 edited

An update on The Manse map.

Yes, thats a stone idol and a stone ring for a worship fire.

The wood pieces are floor remnants.
      DF_Manse01_0009b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2020

What about some weeds in the buildings esp near the floors to break the hard edges (I agree you can't use Edge Fade, Inner on these). And perhaps some debris from DD3.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2020

What, no surviving trapdoor to the cellar/dungeons Jim? ;D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2020

@Wyvern Sssh. That comes in later.

Yup, Manse map isn't finished.
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2020

This is looking really great JimP!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2020

Thanks. Not sure how I talked myself into working on 3 map locations at the same time though.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2020 edited

Added a few things like the weeds. I want a graveyard in the upper right, but this older vari-color symbol doesn't work too well.
      DF_Manse01_0011b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2020

What about using some short wall segments with shorter shadows as gravestones, Jim? The bevel on the walls would look about right for such markers, certainly.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2020

Thats a thought. I'll try it.

I may forget, but I'll try not to.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2020 edited

Updated Manse.

A: some rotted wood bits hanging over the first floor unsupported.

B: wood pile, with rats and termites.

C: could be a root cellar, but why in the house ?

D: evil worship area, fire ring and idol. Orange bushes and trees leadnng into the house from the cemetary.

cemetary redone.

Pumpkin patch near the 'e' in Manse.
      DF_Manse01_0012b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2020

the Inn. Kinda small.
      DF_inn01_0006b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2020 edited

Worker's home, type 1 ( a dorm actually)

Hobgoblin or ogre has taken up residence in one of them. Dug a pit to capture people. Brazier for cooking. He is getting careless and leaving bones out where they can be seen. Over confident.
      DF_worker_home01_0007b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2020 edited

The New Inn. Shadows need work.

Same floor plan of a single floor, but no sleeping here. Tents nearby for accomadations.
      DF_inn02_0016b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2020

Okay. What I have completed so far, not sure if I have uploaded them or not, for your perusal.

Area map, abandoned village map, Manse map, Inn ruins, worker dorm 1.

To be completed: worker dorm 2, New Inn ( attached ), ruined tower, new tower, foot bath bits for Daefadel Fort 1, 2, and 3.
      DF_inn02_0028b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2020 edited

The pony rug in the Dining Room has a shadow on it, so you might want to move that to SYMBOLS FLAT so that it lies flat on the floor.

Other than that, nicely done :)
    • CommentAuthorMerion
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2020

That rug is adorable, tho!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020

Thanks. I'll check into that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020 edited

sub-level 3

room 10) buckets are not a good defense; however, sometimes you have to use what is available.
      Daefadel_Fort03_0018b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Horse rug updated.

Thing is, the border of the rug looks like a postage stamp to me.
      DF_inn02_0028b2.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's better!

Those are the tassels, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2020 edited

I know, but close up... it looks like a very large postage stamp.

And here is sub-level 2 of the fort.

Is that green mold in the barracks room 5 ?

And putting hammocks in ready room 2 just before the attack, not a good idea.

And why is the ready room on sub-level 2 ? It should be up on ground level.
      Daefadel_Fort02_0014b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Ground level
      Daefadel_Fort01_0012b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020

Any suggestions before I finalize these ?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020

All look good to me :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2020

Thanks. I'll keep going at it and making maps.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2020

I'm doing fine, sitting at home. Working on maps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Home, working on maps seems like a nice safe thing to do these days. Hopefully you (and everyone else here) will avoid any serious illness.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Hopefully. Doesn't seem to be much going on in my area.

I have been mostly playing Everquest II... procrastination is what I've been doing.

Need to clean up the area around my door, and do a few other things... and map.

If anything untoward does happen I will let you all know.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Still stay safe, Jim. A frightening number of people are being mislead by the official statistics. Remember that for everyone tested there are probably at least 100 who haven't been tested. In the UK the policy has been to only test people turning up at the hospital. The government here has admitted that based on these minimal stats there may be as many as 50,000 infected here already. This certainly ties up with the fact that we have about the same number of dead as South Korea, where there are 5 x as many officially tested as having C19. So keep staying safe, and keep taking precautions if you go out.

There are still things you can do with people you care about. I just spent the afternoon with my mum, doing the garden for her. I just never went into the house, didn't have any tea or coffee, refused to let her use any of the gardening tools I had touched, and maintained at least a 6 foot gap between us at all times.
    • CommentAuthormike robel

The funny (odd) thing is if various governments are successful in reducing the spread of the disease through early efforts, it will look like we overreacted. However, it is much easier to loosen control than to try to increase it if your counter-measures do not have an immediate/obvious effect. This illustrates a principle of War. Go Big Early. :) Either way, there will be plenty of disruption.