Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2019 edited

Happy Happy end of a horrific year everyone.
    I want to make my own 'style' for city maps.
    However, I want to do this in a way that is compatible with the Atlas.
    These are my ideas so far, and I would greatly appreciate ideas and correction

The Drawing tools are easy - I have already added various tools and edited others in the SS5 style. Can I copy and rename this folder (and ? all files within) of SS5 in the System>Drawing Tools folder.
    The fills are also easy - I have already added (and deleted) various fills , using the Blank City Map (image of opening screen below - 2000x1600); and fiddled around with the scale for each fill - is there a way to automate this?
    The symbols are not as easy. The various buttons on the city screen are good, and I have a button to access symbols from other sources. Can I make a catalogue for vegetation, street furniture etc, but using the symbols from their present folders, rather than moving them to another. I already know how to make symbol catalogues, but do the symbols have to be moved into a folder in the same directory, as this will make them Atlas incompatible.
    Finally, I know how to make a template out of the Blank City Map FCW, but how do I make sure it will use the DTO I have created, as well as the symbol catalogues (mainly vegetation, and street furniture - fountains, wells, statues, benches and tables, etc

Thanks in advance
      Blank Map - City.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2019 edited

I have worked out all except the symbols issue. I also cannot find the Map Notes that show what is described in issue 12 of Annual No 1.
    Attached is my FCT, and hopefully the DTO and fills are automatically included
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

When I open Map Notes, I get the type of notes in the Atlas maps, not the open new macro type ones. Is there a way to fix this? I have also changed the map to 1000x800 (and used the SCALEDRAWING command to keep fills and effects all correctly scaled - a great little Remy Command - a Remiette. Unfortunately, not ProFantasy canon)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2019

Symbol catalogues exist so that you don't have to move or duplicate the pngs. In fact if you moved the pngs your new style would cease to be compatible. To maintain compatibility it is essential that you leave the pngs exactly where they are (providing you had them in the default locations to start with).

It's easy to make a catalogue with pngs from all over the place. I'm not really understanding why you would want to move the pngs anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I definitely don't want to move the png's, just create a new catalogue using those png's in their original position. if I then use that catalogue, will it still show the symbols in the Atlas map, or will it just be red X.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: QuentenI definitely don't want to move the png's, just create a new catalogue using those png's in their original position. if I then use that catalogue, will it still show the symbols in the Atlas map, or will it just be red X.
    It will work just fine. Remember, symbols doesn't have a reference to their original symbol catalog, that doesn't matter, the only thing they are concerned about is the image files on disk, so as long as these files are unmodified and remain in their original location, it will work fine.

When I open Map Notes, I get the type of notes in the Atlas maps, not the open new macro type ones. Is there a way to fix this?
    Just create them. They are just ordinary map notes with some specific names, the content need to be specific to your template anyway.
    Note that you should not create the four atlas map notes in your template, my automation routines overwrites these anyway.

You should also purge the symbols in your template, right now it is full of symbol definitions from all over the place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Remy. I am in the process of making the various symbol categories - Statues, Markets, Street furniture, Graveyards, Trees, Special Trees. Other Vegetation. I also have the correct map notes. I will purge the symbols in the Template.
    More questions tomorrow - it is dark here and the bogeyman is under the bed.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Depending on where you have drawn the symbols from in your new catalogue, you will still have to list the necessary source add-ons, annuals, and free symbol sets you've used so that people will know if they are about to get any red Xs because they haven't got this or that ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Thanks Sue. I think Remy does this for each map submitted now, and lists it in the Map Notes.

Question:

If I rename some of the symbols in the symbol manager, say for ABCM Trees simple, does this change the name of the png, and does it mean that it would result in a red X in the Atlas. eg Tree 1 in Jon Roberts City, imported into aforementioned catalogue, renamed for that catalogue as Tree 11 via symbol manager only (not the original png).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

No, renaming the symbol isn't a problem.

You can even make completely new symbols, as long as they are based on the existing png's (as long as you don't modify the png's themselves obviously). For example, look at the composite symbols part of this article.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2019

Great.

Next question. How do i attach the symbol catalogues to the style, using the Map Notes, I presume. I have about 10 symbol catalogues
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

You need to set up Symbol Catalog Settings and Symbol Catalog Filters, and then load the correct filter in the OnOpenMacro map note.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Ah, just the thing I understand least. despite rereading. I'll report back. Thanks so much for your help. it will make my city mapping mush 'easier'
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2019 edited

Here is a sample of the Drawing tools that I have made/modified. Everything except the house is a drawing tool. The paved roads have a footpath - something I have overlooked in the past
      A Blank City Map (metric) sample.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2019

Wow! Pretty impressive - especially the towers :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Looking good there Quenten. I hope those poor inhabitants of that house feels properly protected now from the wild deer outside their new walls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have redone the fields to make the furrows look better - used my own hatch style. I am learning a lot about CC3+ in the process
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Oh, I really like those walls and towers. Very nicely done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2019 edited

Here is an update - added gatehouses, and towers on top of towers, and fixed the fields. Can you please give either critical comments, or unrestrained applause?
      A Blank City Map (metric) SAMPLE.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2019

I like the walls and towers, etc.

But I am curious as to why the different color roads/paths ?

Otherwise I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The map is just a hodgepodge of the different tools - so the road tools are all joined together. I will do a better map later on when i am completely satisfied
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

What are those things on the trees? The orange bacteria-shaped blobs
    • CommentAuthormike robel

Pears!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Okay. Thanks Quenten. That makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2019

Haha, Mike. I tried to use a hatch style to add texture to otherwise solid coloured trees. I am just getting in to hatch styles, but obviously need help from experts. Obviously, I will have to work on this
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Why not just use a leafy bitmap fill?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Because with a solid colour, it allows you to easily change the colour of the trees as you add them. A fill would disallow this option
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh I see :)
    • CommentAuthorjslayton
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2019 edited

Would a varicolor bitmap symbol work for your trees?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes - how do I do this as a drawing tool?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2019 edited

I think that would have to be a symbol, wouldn't it?

You could import varicolour tree symbols from other styles into your new catalogues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Mmmm.
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

Sorry, I missed the "Atlas-compatible" part. You can use the FOREST or SYMFILL macros to fill an area with symbols, but the artwork files (PNG) for the symbol would have to be distributed somewhere.
    It might be possible to use CONTOURSM to generate some stuff inside the base elements, but (again), you'd need to distribute the definition file.
    Ah well. Looks like I'm full of ideas that won't work given your constraints!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have worked out the solution, and thanks to everyone