Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018 edited

So, for the month of October, I thought making a village map would be a nice community challenge.

As with the previous challenge, you should pick a spot in the atlas for your village, but if you don't want to, you don't have to submit the map to the atlas in the end, it is totally fine to participate in any case. The goal of these community challenges are primarily to get some community mapping going, and have people show off their maps, it is not primarily an atlas-recruiting tool. We use the atlas as a base however, because that does provide some context for the map.

Note that this is just a friendly little mapping challenge, and we want as many people as possible to contribute, so if anything below confuses you (might be especially true for new members who haven't looked at the atlas project before), don't hesitate to ask. Won't be any prizes, but I will feature the winner (best map, decided by community vote) on the atlas site

So, for the rules:
    - The map should be a village map made with CC3+ (You can use any official CC3+ add-on you want, as well as the four community packs, but the map must be a "pure" CC3+ map, i.e. no post-processing in photoshop or similar. Basically same rules as for the atlas)
    - The contest will run for the entire month of October, the deadline will be midnight at the end of October 31st, GMT
    - One map/submission per contestant
    - Reserve your map up front before starting work on it so we don't get two people mapping the same place. To reserve a space, just create a post here staking your claim (including a marked screenshot is a good idea), but please do make sure the area isn't reserved by anyone else first, you need to check both here in this thread and check the reservations in the atlas (To see reservations, look for the 'show reserved areas' button below the map. If it appears, click it to see reserved areas in addition to already mapped ones).
    - Note that you need to reserve an actual village as indicated by a symbol, you can't reserve an empty area and claim a village would fit here (If you want to do that, you'll first need to create a more detailed local area map of that region, and put in some village symbols yourself)
    - Please start your own Work in Progress (WiP) thread showing your work on the map. This is also a great way to get some feedback underway. Post a link to your WiP thread here.
    - The final delivery for the challenge is the rendered image of your map, posted in this thread. (If the map is going into the atlas (which I hope it will) then I need the .fcw as well and some other information as listed on the atlas site, but you don't have to have that ready for the deadline)

Now, the main challenge here is that I want you to make a map that fits properly in with the climate and terrain of your chosen village. If you pick a spot in a desert, make it look like a desert village and so on. Try to not make it just a generic village, but a village that looks like it really belongs there. Also try to make some interesting spots in the village that could inspire future mappers to make floorplan or dungeon maps to. The size of the village should also be somewhat appropriate, a general guide here is to look on the scale of the map where you select the village to map. A large kingdom map doesn't usually included the tiniest of villages, those are normally found only on smaller local area maps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018

Great challenge. I would like to reserve the village of Runcibor on the Dunor regional map of the same name.
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2018

Oh this sounds fun!
    • CommentAuthorPerryC
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018

I need to practice settlement maps great way to get some practice, and tips.

Claiming that unamed settlment on my Elbin's Demise map!
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2018

I'll reserve the Drow village of Port Therlu on the Darklands map.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2018 edited

I've been putting together a small village for my campaign i'll throw into the mix....i'll reserve the village of Jasper on my Mt. Dendorlig Regional map on Malajuri
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2018

I'll be doing the village called Destitute. It is on the suth edge of Dead Forest, near Stalwart Keep, near Basher Bay. ( Yes, i have finished Breloss Star Cluster.)

location map attached.
      destitute.png
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2018

I'll be doing the village of Bryn located in the north east of the Northern Scar. I reserved and started this a long time ago and hope to finally finish it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2018

Halfway through the month. Looking forward to seeing the maps from all the people above, but it is still time to claim your stake and make a map for this. Hope to see some additional people joining. Would be very pleased to see some new community members participate as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018

One week left. Still time to pick a village and join in on the fun. And don't worry if you are good enough or not to participate. These challenges are just some lighthearted fun, don't see it as a competition. Even if we do pick a "best map" at the end, that is just an extra gimmick, not something that should worry about at all when considering joining in.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018 edited

Ooops. I forgot to post a link here.

Destitute

And here is my map. I'll whisper a zip file for the Atlas. Png at 80% of a 1200 pixel graphic file.
      destitute_dead_forest01b.png
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2018

My entry. FCW and info for Community Atlas to follow.
      Port Therlu7.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2018 edited

My entry - FCW and fuller description to be sent to Remy for the Atlas
      Runcibor Village (small)2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2018 edited

Thanks for contributing everyone. Here are the great maps submitted to this challenge. Click the images to go to the WIP thread for each map. Link to voting for best map, I will leave this open for 7 days, until noon GMT November 8th.

1. Jasper Village, Lorelei
    jasper village.png

2. Destitude, JimP
    destitute.png

3. Port Therlu, ScottA
    Port Therlu.JPG

4. Runcibor Village, Quenten
    Runcibor Village.PNG

5. Shinsato, Lorelei
    shinsato.PNG

Corgin, Monsen
    Corgin.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2018

And how come Corgin isn't on the voting list? A case of anti-favouritism!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: QuentenAnd how come Corgin isn't on the voting list?
    I can't both run this vote AND have a stake in the result, that would compromise the voting.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL!

I say add it in :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yes you can. Go for it !
    Nice maps all. And I too say Monsen should include himself next time. I mean it's not like he's going to give himself the $1000 prize :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2018

Voting is over, and it seems like the best map from this challenge is Lorelei's Jasper Village. Loved all the maps though, great work everyone.

I'll get these into the atlas soon (remember to send me your .fcw's if you haven't already if you want the map in the atlas)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Hope that includes Corgin as well, sir
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Congratulations, Lorelei :D

Lovely set of maps all round, I say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Well done Lorelei (and the rest of us). Once more, I voted for the winner - I am happy to help you place your horse racing bets hehehe
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Aw, thanks guys. Once more, my vote did not win (although on a personal note, i am HAPPY to snatch up the map i voted for once it's available in the Atlas) Great job everyone!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2018

All the maps where I have received .fcw files are now uploaded to the atlas.

Destitute
    Shinsato Village
    Jasper Village
    Corgin

Hope to see you make that regional map you mentioned Lorelei, linking your village from the continent map doesn't really work well navigation-wise.

Still missing the .fcw files from Quenten and ScottA.
    • CommentAuthorJensen

I like them all! thanks for the effort!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Congrats Lorelei !
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2018 edited

Posted By: Monsen
    Hope to see you make that regional map you mentioned Lorelei, linking your village from the continent map doesn't really work well navigation-wise.

Yes, i will get to it after Nov 20th - i've a deadline and finding my time spread rather thin lately between work, personal gaming and a commission. I'll try to have it done by the end of the year, for sure
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2018

Port Therlu now added to the atlas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2018

I am still writing up the description - finish either today or tomorrow, depending on time available
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018

Last of the villages from the competition, Runcibor Village is now available in the atlas.

Thanks everyone, both for participating in this little challenge, as well as for contributing maps to the atlas. Only 34 maps left until we reach 300.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018

Wow! That happened fast - the 300th map looming up like that, I mean.

And thank you, too, Remy, for organising the challenge :)