Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2018 edited

The L-shaped buildings are 30' wide and 40 feet long. The tower/keep is 52' x 52'.

LIkely use different of the same solid bitmap fill to show the pond. Needs dead trees, pond, paths.

Png at 75% of my usual 1200 pixel wide map.
      destitute_dead_forest01_004b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2018

And here is with sheet effects.
      destitute_dead_forest01_005b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2018

Lovely map, Jim :)

What sheet effect is causing that rather nice sketchy looking hill shading effect?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thanks !

Both are on sheet contours. Edge fade: distance 5.3 units. zero % opacity. effect units on view width. I used the default.

They are bottom: solid 40 bmp, and the top one is solid 10 bmp. And fractalized multipler times.
    • CommentAuthorTexas Jake

Jim,

Where did you get the compass rose. I like it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Template and symbols are from Annual issue 40. 'Black and White Cities' is the title.
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2018

I also like the hill shading, good idea Jim, I also wanna try this out
    • CommentAuthorTexas Jake
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2018 edited

Posted By: JimPTemplate and symbols are from Annual issue 40. 'Black and White Cities' is the title.

That is in volume four. It has some other stuff I like and is already on my wish list.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Trees and roads added. Stone circular storage buildings. Trees are on their own sheet. The ones near the bottom road are dead trees, the ones at the top still have some leaves on them.
      destitute_dead_forest01_007b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Should the trees be a bit larger considering the size of the buildings?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yeah. I did right click to and click on the button so they would be correct for the map size. I'll check on that next time I'm on my computer.

And make the roads more broken up.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2018 edited

"A western wind, is a dry wind, it blows the water away..."

Destitute. 75% of 1200 pixels.

Some trees are now in the roads. Should I still break up the roads ?
      destitute_dead_forest01_009b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2018

Looks good, but I don't understand what you mean by breaking up the roads.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Cover them with rocks, or a light gray to give the impression of dirt or sand on top of the road. Already moved some trees on top of them in palces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Yes
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2018

yes, good idea, imo do that
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Warm in my room this morning, but 32F outside... so I didn't feel like getting up. I'll work on this in the afternoon.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Not so sure I like this... the dirt lower left looks like a manta ray.
      destitute_dead_forest01_011b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Edge Fade, Inner the manta ray dirt, and lose its outline (do you have a glow on this?) even if it means a separate sheet just for this one dirt - and I love its manta ray shape. I fact, get rid of the outlines of all the dirt patches.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2018

Couple of thoughts Jim.

Instead of using a dashed line for the worn-out road, or using these too-obvious dirt patches, try using small, white, rounded-irregular polygons on a sheet above the roads to hide little areas of the roads instead. You'll likely need to give them a touch of Blur and/or Transparency in the effects to get them to look right. The idea's to make it look like vegetation is starting to encroach on the pathways, as well as forming potholes in places.

The other thing is - and this may be just me - but the building shadows seem to be making the structures hover above the surface, as if they aren't attached to it. Maybe softening the shadows more might help.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2018 edited

Not exactly dashed, I used Break to cut out parts of the road. Glow was on the patches on the roads, I took Glow off and added Edge Fade, Inner.

edit: And I shortened the wall shadows by half.
      destitute_dead_forest01_012b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

That's much better with the shadows to me, Jim. They look like they "belong" more now.

With the white patches, I'd suggest trying some along the edges of the path, just as if nibbling away at the edges, rather than hiding parts completely. If the roads were seen closer, so wider, I'd suggest running a patchy strip down the centre in places, where the wheels don't run so plants can take hold easier.

The blurrier edges for the Attack of the Killer Giant Frogspawn patches certainly make those look more interesting.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I was working on this while you posted. To add to the cover of the Break road portions.
      destitute_dead_forest01_013b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

A gray bit added to the top of the hill, nibbling at the road. Likely too big though.
      destitute_dead_forest01_014b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

That's better, but maybe it would help to still see where more of the road is in the gaps (so making the patches more transparent - maybe not too consistently though, which might need extra patches adding in parts).

[EDIT: And how is it so many of us are online just now for once? Are we all downloading and installing CC3+ Update 18? I know I just have - and now you can read the name of all those mysterious "what is it?" bitmap fills!]
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I would have to back several versions, possible as I keep them, but the upper road is broken by Break. No roads to show in the gaps.

Put the one on the top of the hill on its own sheet.
      destitute_dead_forest01_015b.png
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

JimP noted:I would have to back several versions, possible as I keep them, but the upper road is broken by Break. No roads to show in the gaps.

That's a shame, but you could always add a new ghostly trail across parts of the gaps instead.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

How about this ? I added one where the arrow is pointing.
      destitute_dead_forest01_016b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Added location 2. Took out the manta area and put in a wobby road area, same color, on a different sheet so I can adjust as needed.
      destitute_dead_forest01_017b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2018

I'm going to try and wrap this up today.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Anything else I need to do to it before I submit the fcw ?
      destitute_dead_forest01_018b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

A legend. Love this Jim.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018

village: Destitute, Dead Forest, Basher Bay.

Overland Mike Schley for area map.

A long abandoned village, but the keep shows some upkeep. Nearby is the Crying Pond. Some claim the pond is what drove people away, leaving the monks at the Stalwart Keep to defend the southern approach to Dead Forest alone.

There are those who say there is a statue by the western edge of the pond, others claim a ghost is there. At midnight, passersby can hear crying. If they go near they can see different things there.

A shadowy ghost crying a lament in an unknown language, an alabaster statue with her arms lifted upwards, a statue made of smoke her knees in the dirt and her hands covering her face. Sometimes she is winged, leather or feathers, sometimes no wings. But the crying never ceases, except for one day in the middle of the summer.

Are you a brave group of adventurers who want to solve this puzzle ?
      destitute_dead_forest01b2.png
    • CommentAuthorJensen

great background! I wanna play the adventure!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looks really great, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Thank ya kindly !