Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017

So, aside from the issue with rendering that some of us are having with the latest update.....i've also noticed that i've been crashed often - not while working on a map, or trying to render a large map.....it seems to be happening when i am trying to isolate a sheet and hiding all sheets, but say one or two....then as soon as i hit ok i crash. It has happened all weekend....any ideas or fixes? Or....how can I UN-update my update, since re-running it doesn't give me the option to repair or remove?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I've never seen that error myself (And I used update 12 for quite a while before it became public), but I noticed that Calibre also reported this in a different thread, so it seems to not be isolated to just you at least. I'll make sure Ralf sees, this, but other than that, I don't have any advice to give unfortunately.

However, is this something you see on all maps, or is it isolated to just some. If the latter, do they have any commonalities (like a large amount of sheets or effects)? Does it happen if you make a relatively simple map?

As for uninstalling the update, that isn't quite as simple a task, as uninstalling the update will remove all files it added to the system, including files replaced, so you would end up with a lot of missing files in your installation if you do that.
    A repair install of CC3+ itself (as opposed to the update) should reset the files however, and then you should be able to install update 10 again, but this isn't a recommended procedure, as there are a lot of "should's" in there.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I'm having the same problem as Lorelei on some but not all maps. The one I can reproduce it on consistently is the Community Atlas map of Alarius.

To reproduce:

Zoom into the region with the small lake just south of the Misty Lake, including both lakes in the zoom window.
    Open Sheets and Effects dialog and select the LAKE 1 sheet to make it active and also hide all other sheets. (LAKE 1 sheet contains no objects in this zoom window.)

BAM! I crash every time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Yup, I can reproduce that. Thanks for the steps, makes it easier to troubleshoot when the crash can be reproduced.
    • CommentAuthorpool7

Considering the various (small?) issues already found with Update 12... will Update 13 come soon to fix these?
    Or can PF make Update 11 available again in the meantime?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2017

I'm looking into it. Thanks for the reproducable report. We'll try to make a fix available as soon as possible.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Hey, sorry, i haven't responded....got some terrible real life stuff happening (my friend of 30 years was just taken off life support yesterday)....i haven't had time to check, but if i recall, both maps had MULTIPLE sheets with lots of effects, etc .
    • CommentAuthorCalibre

Oh, so I am not going crazy! Yes, happening to me and already reported to Ralf.

Thanks, Lorelei, for clarity and reassurance of sanity :)

Cal
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu

Interesting , i have followed what those above but my test system doesn't crash without the effects and only seams to crash with the "CC3 Mike Schley" effects , i have tried all the other effects i have on the base system and the mike schley one is the only on that crashes every time, this is a crossover/wine install with just CC3+ and no addons

Rob
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Hasn't happened to me, but I don't use effects ordinarily.
    • CommentAuthorsuntzu
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017

update 13 fixed the issues for me
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Update 13?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

It's not out yet, still in testing, but yes, it should fix all these issues.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

So for those of us who haven't installed Update 12 yet, should we just await 13 instead? (Not mapping presently, I should say - or indeed for some weeks past, regrettably.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Can't give you a definitive answer on that unfortunately. I ran update 12 for a good while before it was released, and never encountered those bugs reported here But then again, Update 13 is probably not too far off (Still needs to be completed and tested first though).
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017 edited

I'm not having any trouble with 12 at all, and the only difference I can think of between me and everyone else is the fact that I don't have any of the third party add-ons at all.

Yes, I still use Bogie's Mapping Object collection, but it isn't actually "installed". I just call up whichever of the catalogues I need at the time manually with the little folder button at the top of the symbols palette.

I think the installed toolbar for that was packaged with the CSUAC install, which I uninstalled last year.

I've done a complete reinstall of CC3 since then for unrelated reasons, so my CC3 setup is very likely to be absolutely unique.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017

The crashes were connected with using Symbol Style Toggle and were mostly appearing in City and Dungeon styles. The key is that they only happen if you have "Display First Symbol in catalog" option checked. If you have this disabled by default, you'd see no problem. So, disabling that is a good workaround.

But we have a fix just around the corner, both for this problem and the PNG/JPG export problems. Just making sure the Update 13 installer works as intended right now.
    • CommentAuthorTopdecker

Update 13? What could POSSIBLY go wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_floor
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

Yeah, thanks for the reminder Topdecker... Maybe I should just wait for Update 14 instead? ;D
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I just downloaded Update 13. Works great!
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

Update 13 offers ten (that's right, TEN) new commands compared to Update 12. Update 12 had a vastly improved escarpment command (not just to mess with the "command of the week" series), and much improved export sizes. Both updates offer greatly improved functionality for list boxes on many dialogs, especially in the realms of consistency and being able to see the @$*)^& selection box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017

Some of those new commands will also appear in the Command of the Week series.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

I got this error while loading update 13
      Capture.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017 edited

And....I am still crashing when turning on effects

This is the map I was working on. It's one of Quenten's that I altered a bit. Never had a problem with it before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Never seen that error before, but the error indicate an error with the installer system itself. If that persists after a reboot, you should fike a support ticket.

I am guessing your continued crashing problem might be related to the installer not applying the update properly.
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017 edited

I'm running into a new problem as well. I exported a small 2 MB map and when I did a bunch of words ran by on the export window. They went so fast I could not read what they said but it went on for a while. For a minute it reminded me of looking at a computer screen from the move "The Matrix".

After it was over, my map was rendered. But when I tried to render a smaller sized map the export just locked up and won't finish exporting. It has been trying to export for about two hours now.

It's stuck on the part that says "converting to final format".
    So I finally closed the program and tried to export as a PNG instead of a JPG. It works just fine in PNG format but doesn't work at all in JPG.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Patch 13 works for me, 64-bit Win 10, 4 gigs of ram.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017

Posted By: TonnichiwaThey went so fast I could not read what they said but it went on for a while. For a minute it reminded me of looking at a computer screen from the move "The Matrix".
    That part is just the progress for the final map conversion work. It might pass very quickly for small maps, but it is very handy for larger maps, especially now since CC3+ can export much larger maps than before, and this can take quite some time to complete.

hmm. I can confirm the hang when exporting to jpgs. I recommend png's normally, but jpg should of course obviously also work.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

And once again, its working fine for me. I never had a problem with 12 either.

There is only one difference between my set up and the vast majority of all others that could explain it, but I got rather amusingly savaged for daring to mention it over at the Guild yesterday, so I'll say no more than that :P
    What are the new commands?

Fracturing still does not work for me.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited

You need to right click the fractalize button and choose path to poly to convert anything you draw to a 'polyline' now the updates are installed. I don't know why that is, but fractalize only works on things if you convert them first - whether that's something you drew with the polygon tool on the right, or a land shape drawn with the land drawing tool on the left.

EDIT: If that doesn't work for you, then its yet another difference between my set up and yours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017 edited

Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonWhat are the new commands?
    From the readme:
    - GETSHEETL, GETSHEETH, GETSHEETY, GETSHEETX, GETLAYERL, GETLAYERH, GETLAYERY, GETLAYERX analogs of GETEXT*
    - Added ZOOMS to zoom to a sheet name and ZOOML to zoom to a layer name-

Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonFracturing still does not work for me.
    Works fine for me with everything I've tested it on. As Sue mention, it doesn't work on all types of entities. It should work fine on any normal line or polygon without the conversion Sue describes though, that is typically only needed for Arcs and Circles.
    How do your problem manifest?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I drew the hollow poly with the poly drawing tool on the right, and the cobble area with one of the DD3 drawing tools picked at random. I had to convert both to polygons (even though they already are polygons), but after you do that the fractalize tool works fine - as you can see before the screen refreshes here
      Fractalize.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ah well - not everything is ok with my set up then, because I get this if I try to fractalize before converting
      Fractalize2.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: LoopysueI had to convert both to polygons
    That's weird, I don't have any issues like that, Fractalize work fine both on new entities I just drew (basic tools or drawing tools), or with old entities in my existing maps. No need to convert any of them.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I don't mind these little quirks at all. They usually aren't that hard to work out if you think like the machine - for example, if it says its not a polyline you convert it and all is well again.

I know that's not how its supposed to work, but hey - I've crashed GIMP 7 times today, and I still haven't been able to crash CC3+ once with either update 12 or 13.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Maybe its because this is a Perspectives template rather than a Dungeon, City or Overland one?

Would that make a difference?

I'm a bit tied up at the moment (with all the GIMP problems I've got), or I'd test it myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: LoopysueMaybe its because this is a Perspectives template rather than a Dungeon, City or Overland one?
    Basic tools are still the same, so shouldn't matter.

But I'd like to see the output of a LIST command on that entity before you convert it.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ok. Odd stuff is happening.

I tried again with the same two tools that failed above, and this time they worked without conversion.

I was just about to report that it must have been a system glitch, but then I tried a different drawing tool and had the same error as above.

This is the info for it.
      Info.jpg
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Why does a four sided shape have 5 nodes?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh my!

I'm so sorry Lorelei - I only just caught your comment way up the thread.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend!

I hope things are moving in a positive direction...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I can't replicate the problem, but I noticed that if you click in the "wrong" position, you may hit the map gridlines instead of the entity. The latter ones are grouped entities, and cannot be fractalized, and you get the exact error message you got. Grouped entities tends to have priority, so if you click in a location occupied by both, it will default to the grid instead of the entity.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I'm pretty sure I hit it in a space on the grid, but you might be right. I must have hit the grid 5 x in a row when I first started playing with the fractalize tool.

Its working now - thanks Remy :)
    If I left click on fracturing it still crashes. Right clicking brings up the menu Loopysue told me about, but cannot bring up the menu box to tailor the settings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonIf I left click on fracturing it still crashes. Right clicking brings up the menu Loopysue told me about, but cannot bring up the menu box to tailor the settings.
    Sounds like Update 13 isn't properly installed. What version number does CC3+ report in the about dialog? Did you install any add-ons AFTER installing update 13?
    I just installed update 13 and did not install any other updates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

You might want to try running it again (as administrator, as usual). I've found that sometimes the Updates may need to be run more than once. For example, sometimes, buttons seem to vanish after an Update, but are restored properly on a second or third pass. It's uncommon, but it does happen. Perhaps a second install could fix the issue for you.