Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2017

Looks great Jim!!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2017

Thanks Lorelei !
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017

JimP's Lost Mines maps are now in the atlas. This is the first perspectives contribution if I remember correctly. Thanks for a great contribution to the atlas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Yup, first one. I tried to make the entrance area generic as not many symbols.

I'll jhave to look at the Caves annual mentioned and decide if I am making the mines themselves ISo or go to an overhead view.

I just checked and a little over 300 views on my postings about the Interactive Atlas on Dragon's Foot forums.
    Hey JimP

I've been following this thread with interest since you started it. I'm sorry I've not been able to contribute, but I've never used the perspective style to be able to offer any good advice. However it's turned out to be a great dungeon map all-in-all.

Well done man!

DMG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Gracias. I try, and sometimes I go kha-thud. Hopefully not this time.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Ah, I see now... the 'Deep Caves' are part of one of the CA66 maps. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with for the next part of the Mines.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Apparently I have been using the pre-release of Perspectives for CC3Plus all this time... So I just downloaded v3.77 of PErspectives 3, and after 3.0 does a repair, I'll be installing version 3.77. Sigh. I guess I need to check my other installs.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017

Okay. A bit of a teaser for part 3. Location 19 is from the lower part of the entrance area. I am contemplating, not sure how, to place a back wall and a floor area... but I may not do it on this map.
      lost_mines03_000009b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Well, for what it's worth, as I mentioned before, I think it looks better without the back wall/floor.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I quite agree. Its actually easier to see things without them :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017 edited

Okay, I didn't include them this time. Although a large slanted wall, with rooms projecting out from it would be neat to.

Part 3, Mines start.

location 19 is from Part 1, the Entrance rooms.

1) small room, entrance to one part of the Mines. Dust and other small debris.

2) small room, broken wood exit door. The skulls are small, likely dwarves or halflings. Beware the pit !

3) an L-shaped room. Broken bench, piles of rock, and some stalagmites ( on the floor, stalagtites hang tight to the ceiling). A Magic Mouth, basically a recording, will produce a low weak voice from the large pit on the left side of the room. 'Help me ! Help me !' Any attempt to look into the pit or climb down into it, and the 6 spikes on the fall launch across the pit opening.

The chest has some silver and copper pieces in it, and one large diamond under the coins.

4) a cave area, biting insects in the rock piles.

5) partially a cave floor, partially a stone block floor. The stone blocks are unstable and were added to level the room. The foggy area covers some low level undead.

6) a passageway. Metal door, wood door, and a very deep pit.

7) work in progress

8) large room. The large open treasure chest and large sack are illusions. The barrel and the wooden chest next to each other are not illusions. The chest contains lots of silver coins, with a pile of platinum and gold under neath that. When the chest is first opened a Jack i the box pops up. The Barrel contains sacks of rice. Way down towards the bottom of the barrel is a small metal box. It contains several magic rings and an emerald necklace.

9) corridor work in progress.
      lost_mines03_000018b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

A bit more... the water is still, and yet there is something that occasionally causes a bit of a swirl on the surface. To Dream, Perchance to Sleep. I may be back upon the Morrow, and yet, only time will tell.
      lost_mines03_000025b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017 edited

Okay, part 3 of this Mine. Please let me know if the room descriptions have any errors, and if you think I should add to the map. The water increased my refresh times on my Win 10 computer.

Part 3, Mines start. Edit, this is part 3.

location 19 is from Part 1, the Entrance rooms.

1) small room, entrance to one part of the Mines. Dust and other small debris.

2) small room, broken wood exit door. The skulls are small, likely dwarves or halflings. Beware the pit !

3) an L-shaped room. Broken bench, piles of rock, and some stalagmites ( on the floor, stalagtites hang tight to the ceiling). A Magic Mouth, basically a recording, will produce a low weak voice from the large pit on the left side of the room. 'Help me ! Help me !' Any attempt to look into the pit or climb down into it, and the 6 spikes on the fall launch across the pit opening.

The chest has some silver and copper pieces in it, and one large diamond under the coins.

4) a cave area, biting insects in the rock piles.

5) partially a cave floor, partially a stone block floor. The stone blocks are unstable and were added to level the room. The foggy area covers some low level undead.

6) a passageway. Metal door, wood door, and a 20 foot deep pit.

7) A small square room. Entrance blocked by spikes. Under the pile of rocks are a few gold pieces and a small gem. The exit door to room 10 has been smashed.

8) large room. The large open treasure chest and large sack are illusions. The barrel and the wooden chest next to each other are not illusions. The chest contains lots of silver coins, with a pile of platinum and gold under neath that. When the chest is first opened a Jack in the box pops up. The Barrel contains sacks of rice. Way down towards the bottom of the barrel is a small metal box. It contains several magic rings and an emerald necklace.

9) a rectangular room. The extra floor space near the stalagtites can be used by small monsters as hiding places. The wood and rope bridge leading over to the stiars is very rickety, but wont break.

10) a long room. The stalagtite has a Magic Mouth recording on it. 'Get ready for combat !', but it isn't a monster disguised. This is just here to confuse the characters when the rock doesn't react to attempts to communicate nor attack it.

11) two stone bridges go to this room. One is blocked by a metal door, the other is clear of being blocked. 5% chance one of the bridges will collapse and dump the characters on it way down into the water.

12) a cave area with water flowing across the floor. The stairs ends suddenly, dumping anyone continuing down into the water below. The wood chest is mostly rotted, but does contain treasure.

13) a small long room. The miners had a bit of beer and made mistakes at the south end. Stemp up, then step down to the stairs leading to 18

14) A long room. nothing under the rocks.

15) a small cave area, slightly inmproved. Watch your step, loose rocks.

16) a stone bridge corssing over the water.

17) a large water area, goes from shallow to very deep. The rock piles are the shallow part, barely get your feet wet. The large fog area is over 2 stories deep. Outside the water area is cave floor.

18) a small room. No treasure.

19) a small room, a pit to dump the unwary into a rock pile below. Open stone door leads into room 20. A character can dive off the end of this room, but the water is shallow below.

20) a room with small alcoves on one side. The wooden crate near the entrance is tough to open, but comtrains no treasure. The treasure is in the small chest at the end of the room. The other chest is a mimic, waiting for an adventurer to try and open the chest it is imitating. It wil ltry to kill and eat the adventurer.

21) stairs and then two ramp areas. Careful, a character could slip and fall into the pit in room 19.

22) a small square room. Broken door on one side, and a stair going down on another.

23) loong room with 2 cages. One is empty. The other will swing open its door and bekon a character walking by, using its ghostly arm. And a voice wil lbe heard saying, 'This way to the egress...'. Any character entering wil lbe attacked by the cage.

24) a dead end with strange carvings on it. If a character can read ancient languages, they will read 'Nothing here, it is just a dead end.'. Probably a good time waster while they try to figure it out.

25) where 3 rooms and corridors meet, not well laid out, another miner's beer fest no doubt.

26) starts out as stairs, and then two ramps. A careless character could slip and fall.

27) a ramp area, a tumble could send a character skidding into room 15 and into the water below.
      lost_mines03_000038b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017

If no comments/changes by July 21, I will sbmit this to the Atlas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017

I'm thinking about making some offshoots for this mine using the Iso annual. Any comments ?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Part of Part 4. I hope to do more with this part.

Room 9 on upper right is from previous map.
      lost_mines04_00007b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I have submitted part 3 to Monsen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Great Jim, thanks. The third mine map is now in the atlas.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

You're welcome.

Here is more of part 4. Room 5 has a hole in the floor that drops down to room 7. I think I have them lined up... but I'm not sure.

Oh, I think I forgot to set Origin on some of these... but rectangular png is the best way to capture lal of a Perspectives map folks.
      lost_mines04_00016b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2017

Test map using Issue 102 bitmap fills and the cylinders are made using standard Perspectives symbol fills.
      per01_0006b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2017 edited

Part 4. I'll give in a few days and then submit. Rooms 9, 10, and 11. The 'wall carvings' hide secret doors. The door at 9 swings left, hiding the porcullis. The characters have to come into room 10, then close the door. Then they can see the portcullis and the wood/rope bridge.

The fog in room 5 and the rocks in room 8 cover pits.
      lost_mines04b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2017

Take your time before submitting. I'll be away from home for about two weeks, and while I 'll still be active here, I won't have the setup with me to handle atlas submissions until I am back around August 6th.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017

I could add some more to this, or make another one. Doesn't seem to be lots of interest for these though. No problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017 edited

Posted By: JimPDoesn't seem to be lots of interest for these though.
    Seemed to be lot of interests on the first ones though. Right now, I am seeing traffic at the forums at a very low level, haven't been this quiet in quite a while, so I believe part of the reason is that people is simply away for the holidays. In average, there have been 1 post every three hours in the last day, and it's been like that for a while now, so not many people commenting much on anything.
    I think these are cool though. And I love having these for the atlas, because it helps showcase all the different things you can do with CC3+.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Oh, I did figure it was holiday time for some, but since I'm retired, I'm on holiday unless the relatives need me for something around the house.

Currently doing some ham radio configuration, if I can get off this computer... clean up my shack, etc.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017 edited

Part 5 so far... rooms 5 and 7 are from part 4. Edit, fixing typos.

Oh, a dining area, with food on nice linen and light by torches... just ignore what is behind the curtain. The picnic basquet, well a chest but it will have to do, a bed, a bath, and a cleaver with cutting board... and an emergency exit. I wonder who lives here ? :-)

The area between room 5 and the dining room has a stair that drops off into nothingness. Something monstrous, or monies, could be hiding in the stalagtites in the center of the room.
      lost_mines05_0008b.png
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa

I'm really loving the way you are making these look Jim. Fantastic work here. I really like that you put them on a white background too. I didn't know it would do this but it seems to make everything stand out so much more. They look great!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017

Thanks ! I am rather puzzeled why I have to do a 'retangular png' save as instead of just a png save as... When I do the later, all I get is the compass and scale.

The white backgorund does bother me though, where are the walls and the mountain ? But it is easier to see the rooms and stairs. I just leave off the grid and don't put in a floor for it to float above. I will likely put a floor under the staris that drop off. Otherwise it becomes too much like the Twilight Zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017 edited

Dungeon maps often include stairs descending to the next level and don't show the floor or room where the stairs lead so, personally, I have no problem reconciling that the stairs go down to another level somewhere.

Also, knowing this is a cave/mine/dungeon system, I have no problem understanding that the mountain is basically everything I don't see on the map. As I mentioned before, my personal opinion is that these sorts of maps [generally] look better "floating" like this, without huge, framing walls and floors. But, naturally, that's just my opinion.

The one thing I would suggest is to maybe change the white background to a less-harsh tan color or very mild parchment background. It might be possible that a light gray could work, but I think that would blend too much with the stone symbols. You can see examples of what I mean in the sample maps for the style or for this test I did ages ago, when this issue of the annual first came out:

(Click the image for a high-resolution version)
    Azzurburan Test 01_th.jpg

FWIW, I really like these last few "deeper" maps you've done. They're just asking to be explored.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Well, I was trying to fit the most recent area into a memory of an M. C. Escher litography, but I just don't rthats possible.

The stairs that appear to go nowhere, don't go anywhere... they just stop above a foggy nothingness.

I'll look into various backgrounds.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

How about this example ? I haven't changed the map itself, just added the background.

Two so far.
      lost_mines05_0009b.png
      lost_mines05_0010b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

And a Water Feature, to semi-quote Ground Force on BBC America.
      lost_mines05_0011b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag

Personally, I like the parchment background, which contrasts nicely with the actual map, making it pop and easy to see, while also being less harsh than plain white. The gray "parchment" looks okay but I think it may be too dark and it provides less contrast, which makes it less easy to see the map. A lighter gray might work, but I personally like the tan parchment more.

As for the stairs leading down to ignominy, a numbered map note should take care of that nicely, I'd guess.

Rock on.  \m/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

I do like the gray one. The contrast is not as great, but it conveys a bit of that "underground rock" feeling.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The map itself is rather preliminary at the moment, I may or may not decide I meant to put a floor below those stairs. Well, way below them.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017

As we go down into the depths, the pathways become clogged by rock falls, and broken bridges.
      lost_mines05_0020b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017 edited

Broken bridges, and fog covering what ever is down below. Could the bridges be on something large's back ? And everytime it moves in its sleep, a bridge breaks ?

More rock falls, broken furniture, and debris.
      lost_mines05_0037b.png
    • CommentAuthorTonnichiwa
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017

Nicely done! I still wouldn't go down there myself. Way too much danger. And knowing my luck I would slip and fall down one of those deep drop-offs you've got going on. When I was in my 20's sure, but not now...I don't know if I became more wise, or if I just became more lazy :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDogtag
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017 edited

JimP cryptically wrote:Broken bridges, and fog covering what ever is down below. Could the bridges be on something large's back ? And everytime it moves in its sleep, a bridge breaks ?
    Everyone knows it turtles all the way down.  :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017

Posted By: DogtagEveryone knows it turtles all the way down.:D

Not necessarily. But there could be something huge and reptilian down there.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017 edited

A bit more... a feeding station has been added. And something huge could be on the otherside of the large stone door... but I don't know what kind of reptilian tail i could put there.

Oh, the walls, floors, and stairs/ramps are supported by the mountain unless otherwise noted. Very few are just floating in air.
      lost_mines05_0048b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2017 edited

try this again

Feeding station ? Anyway, why is there a guard room ? Doesn't seem defensible. And a large twice life size portcullis. And a room that has broken and partially fallen downward.

I'm thinking about adding other mine areas in the empty upper left and upper right areas, that don't connect to this bit.
      lost_mines05_0056b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2017

I think this is it for this part 5.

The rooms, etc. upper left of map are cut off from the surface, the tunnels have colapsed as you can see from the rocks on the stairs leading to this area. The rooms dead end once past the water area. I'll submit after Monsen gets back.
      lost_mines05b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017

Nice work Jim, loving these.

I'll still be away for about a week before I can handle submissions.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

I probably won't get a chance to comment on many maps right now but had to pop in to say how wonderful I think these are Jim! I love perspective maps and you are creating a real masterpiece here.

You can't get much cooler than a huge perspective dungeon!
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I remember Remy.

Thanks Shessar !
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017

Crikey Jim, this has grown beyond all recognition since I last saw it! Amazing work!
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017

Thanks ! I am trying to figure out how to draw the room off that large cavern opening on the lowest room on this map. There is something sleeping in there... large and reptilian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017

Our first real atlas dungeon and what a murderous masterpiece! We wants more, my preciousss!